WJC: Denmark WJC Discussion

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
Again goaltending seems t be an issue. UofA scored on 5 of their first 10shots.
Nicklas Jensen did not play.

I wouldn't completely blame the goaltending. Of the first 5 goals I'd say Larsen had a chance on only the first one. The other 4 were 2 on 1's, 2 on 0's and wide open chances that UofA was never gonna miss.

Mads Eller was the best player on the ice for the Danes.

Wish Jensen could have played. Speaking of which, here's a pic of my boy's and Jensen we got after the game

2011-12-16211018.jpg

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
I wouldn't completely blame the goaltending. Of the first 5 goals I'd say Larsen had a chance on only the first one. The other 4 were 2 on 1's, 2 on 0's and wide open chances that UofA was never gonna miss.

Mads Eller was the best player on the ice for the Danes.

Wish Jensen could have played. Speaking of which, here's a pic of my boy's and Jensen we got after the game

2011-12-16211018.jpg

Thanks for the info, its nice to get something other than just stats.
Never thought Mads Eller was gonna be a standout as he is the youngest on the team, as a 16year old. On the other hand, I have heard from other people that his compete level is amazing, even more than his older brother Lars. So he is probably well suited for the NA style game.

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
Thanks for the info, its nice to get something other than just stats.
Never thought Mads Eller was gonna be a standout as he is the youngest on the team, as a 16year old. On the other hand, I have heard from other people that his compete level is amazing, even more than his older brother Lars. So he is probably well suited for the NA style game.

At times it seemed like he had another gear that he could kick into and made some nice plays to beat the UofA defender to the outside while getting a chance on net. Along with that there was a few times that the puck was dumped into the corners and he was the first one into the corner and even won some puck battles with some of the big dmen. His compete level was obvious.

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Updated line-up

Nicolai Meyer - Anders Schultz - Nicklas Jensen
Thomas Spelling - Patrick Björkstrand - Oliver Björkstrand
Nicki Kisum - Jonas Sass - Mathias Bau Hansen
Joakim Linnet - Thomas Søndergaard - Mads Eller

Jannick Christensen - Mark Larsen
Tobias Hansen - Martin Rahbeck
Patrick Madsen - Emil Kristensen

Christian Larsen
(Dennis Jensen)

*Note: This is what it will most likely look like, in my opinion.

Salim786

May 31, 2007
City of Champions
If Denmark wins games, how will it do so? Obviously in a group featuring Canada and the US, it's easier said than done. Will it be through strong goaltending (which by what others are posting isn't likely) or do you guys have a tough defencemen group or are the forwards expected to shoulder the load?

Also information on Denmark's coach and his styles and experience if possible. I'm a sports writer and any intriguing story lines from the Danish team (draft eligible players/someone defying the odds and making it to the WJC or something like that).

Last thing, are the Jensens (Niklas and Dennis) related?

Thanks a bunch guys, any info would be appreciated. Hope you enjoy Alberta!

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
If Denmark wins games, how will it do so? Obviously in a group featuring Canada and the US, it's easier said than done. Will it be through strong goaltending (which by what others are posting isn't likely) or do you guys have a tough defencemen group or are the forwards expected to shoulder the load?

From the games I saw. In order to win a game Denmark will have to trap like crazy (they were able to successfully stifle UofA in the third period of the first game with it) and also have their goalie play out of his mind. Larsen looked pretty capable of doing so, from my viewings, but they'll need a lot of luck. The forward group outside of a few just didn't seem to have the skating to compete even witht the UofA team and they were folding under pressure in the defensive zone. They were really bad against UofA's cycle game.

travellingman345

Oct 23, 2008
Bowden, AB
I went to the exhibition game last night in Olds - Sweden vs Denmark. 8 to 0 Sweden. Denmark was outclassed in every aspect of the game. I think it would be a miracle if they don't get relagated again.

I kind of wish teams could get a couple years of grace time before they droppped down. But then again, anything can happen. However, very tough division. Canada, USA, Finland and Czech Republic.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
I went to the exhibition game last night in Olds - Sweden vs Denmark. 8 to 0 Sweden. Denmark was outclassed in every aspect of the game. I think it would be a miracle if they don't get relagated again.

I kind of wish teams could get a couple years of grace time before they droppped down. But then again, anything can happen. However, very tough division. Canada, USA, Finland and Czech Republic.

Well, only one team is relegated this year and most probably Denmark's most important games won't be against these teams but whoever will come from the other group, probably Latvia and Slovakia/Switzerland... and the most important game vs Latvia that they can win.

Yeah, they were outclassed by Sweden but i doubt anybody excepted something different... at least not the people who know something about junior hockey

BLBarmada

If Russia's the host next year how is only one team relagated for ?

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
If Russia's the host next year how is only one team relagated for ?

The format has changed this year. In previous years the two pools in Division I were side by side with the two winners promoted. This year, there is a top pool (I A) and a bottom pool (I B). The winner of pool I A (Germany) were the only team promoted to the top flight. The winner of pool I B (France) gained promotion to pool I A.

Last edited:

BLBarmada

The format has changed this year. In previous years the two pools in Division I were side by side with the two winners promoted. This year, there is a top pool (I A) and a bottom pool (1 B). The winner of pool I A (Germany) were the only team promoted to the top flight. The winner of pool I B (France) gained promotion to pool I A.

Okay, that's weird. I liked the old one.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This format is definately better, there are so many more competitve games in the lower divisions, the best 6 teams in division 1 should be playing against each other, and not 3 in each pool along with 3 weaker teams. It keeps the games much more competitive. That being said however I would still prefer 2 going down 2 coming up, top 2 from division 1A comes up, instead of 1 from each like it used to be now that the new format is in place, but this way it at least gives teams like Denmark a chance, no way they were gonna beat both Latvia, and Slovakia/Switzerland but they can beat just Latvia which would keep them up now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad