WJC: Denmark WJC Discussion

Password

Nov 19, 2010
Finland
Thanks for the info guys! Danish hockey seems to get better. We have seen it in WC. And the talents seems to be more of them and in even better quality. Will be interesting to follow this Danish team!

Hopefully you don't cause too much trouble for us ;)

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
One might suggest that the level of the league has dropped a bit since Nicklas Jensen played in it...

No, I believe it is the opposite, the league is stronger now than two years ago. Two years ago the financial crisis hit Danish hockey hard. Several clubs were on the edge of bankruptcy, and a lot of foreign players were fired. Most teams used junior players, and many 16-17 year old players got their débuts at that time. Nicklas Jensen played on the first line in Herning most of the year, because the team was very weak. This year the competition in the league is much harder, with no easy games.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
No, I believe it is the opposite, the league is stronger now than two years ago. Two years ago the financial crisis hit Danish hockey hard. Several clubs were on the edge of bankruptcy, and a lot of foreign players were fired. Most teams used junior players, and many 16-17 year old players got their débuts at that time. Nicklas Jensen played on the first line in Herning most of the year, because the team was very weak. This year the competition in the league is much harder, with no easy games.

As I only watch one team in the league I can't say that my impression is valid allround, but I disagree..

1) Foreign players er still getting fired(Whelan, Seibel, Lipovski, the guys from CPH etc. etc.). The quality of the foreigners are also getting worse in my eyes(but that's a opinion that you can feel free to disagree).

2) The teams still play with a lot of juniors. Rodovre, Esbjerg, Herlev, Frederikshavn and Herning all have juniors, not only in the line-up as the trend was two-three years ago, but as key players.

3) The juniors that came forward back then was the best of juniors. Now we are seeing players that weren't allways set out to be senior-players playing 10-15 min a night. Alot of these players come with a more and more incomplete skillset and finish their development in the best league, where as they used to be a done project(Of cause not completly done... there's things you can teach in the juniors and 1. Div... but you catch my drift?).

4) Look at the games. It's obvious that a lot of the Danish profiles has left to(Ronny Larsen, Lasse Degn, Alexander Sundberg, Daniel Nielsen, Kiril Starkov, Jesper Jensen x 2, etc. etc.). The tactical level of the game has dropped. There's rookie mistakes all over the place. Completly disagree with the no easy games. Look at when a team play with structure like SE can. Alot of the other teams really don't stand a chance(Based mostly on their visits in Rodovre).

Not trying to take away anything from Oliver Bjorkstrand who's gonna compete heavily with Mads Eller for the spot as first dane drafted next year in my mind... if only he'd leave Denmark for Sweden or Canada to get some attention.

Last edited:

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
There seems to have been a emigration of danes of good class from the league no?

Morten Poulsen, Jesper Jensen, Kiril Starkov, Lasse Lassen, Philip Hersby, Frederik Anderssen, Kasper Jensen, Daniel Nielsen just this season. Good for danish hockey in general but might take a little while to replace them?

I think Nicholai Meyer could have a great wjc and might even get himself drafted as a overager, he is having a great start of the season

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
Hey everybody, I'm a regular poster on the Habs poster and came over looking for a little information. First things first, I really like what I've been seeing coming out of Denmark lately. Obviously, Eller is a treat to watch and would love to see Boedker and one of Hansen or Regin in a Habs jersey for an all-Dane line.

What brought me over here was Mads Eller, I heard he made the Danish team and was curious about him. I (now) know the basic information but would love to know a little more about him, particularly where I can follow his stats, his playing style, and where you see him being drafted. I'd also welcome anything you figure would be worth knowing about him (and feel free to inform me about other Danish prospects). Thanks in advance.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Hey you guys are playing against the U of A golden bears!

played tonight not sure of tomorrows results

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Hey everybody, I'm a regular poster on the Habs poster and came over looking for a little information. First things first, I really like what I've been seeing coming out of Denmark lately. Obviously, Eller is a treat to watch and would love to see Boedker and one of Hansen or Regin in a Habs jersey for an all-Dane line.

What brought me over here was Mads Eller, I heard he made the Danish team and was curious about him. I (now) know the basic information but would love to know a little more about him, particularly where I can follow his stats, his playing style, and where you see him being drafted. I'd also welcome anything you figure would be worth knowing about him (and feel free to inform me about other Danish prospects). Thanks in advance.

I have not seen Mads a lot myself, but this is the report from a Swedish poster in this thread:

"They have very similar playing styles, Mads doesn't look as good built as Lars but on the other hand is a lot shiftier skater. Hard to compare their seasons though, Lars played mostly J20 and Mads J18."

You can follow his stats on eliteprospects, they seem to be very up to date. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93351

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Result of the first pre-turnament game:

Denmark U20 - Alberta (CIS) : 0-5 (0-3,0-2,0-0)
SOG: 33-34
PIM: 2-16
Att: 871

Apparently the result is a bit misleading, and the quality of the goalies was the deciding factor.
Vancouver Canucks first round prospect and captain of the team Nicklas Jensen, left the game after just 4 shift as precautionary measures for a lower body injury.

The two teams will play again tonight.

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Fun Fact:
University of Alberta Goalie Kurtis Mucha is already familiar with a danish player. Jannik Hansen of the Vancouver Canucks also played in the WHL for the Portland Winterhawks in the 2005-06 season.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It's gonna be tough for us!! I hoping for as few blow outs as possible.
We are without a few key players like:

Ehlers - Russel - Scheel

Especially Russel and Scheel could have done a difference.

After the 5-0 game yesterday, im dissapointed. 33 shots and no goals, not good!

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
I watched the game last night. I wouldn't say the goalies were completely the deciding factor. The Bears are a relentless pressure team and it seemed like the Danes couldn't handle the pressure on them in the first two periods and then they locked down in a tight trap in the 3rd. The bears were getting good chances in the first two periods and the Danes were working from the outside a lot.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
There were a few members of the Danish team working out at the University of Alberta.

Two of them did a set om the chest fly machine with me. If they spoke any better English I would have tried talking to them or getting their names.

BLBarmada

I'd be worried about this team, they had trouble beating major junior teams that were icing their pre-season lineups.

Who's injured that should be going to the tournament ?

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
I have not seen Mads a lot myself, but this is the report from a Swedish poster in this thread:

"They have very similar playing styles, Mads doesn't look as good built as Lars but on the other hand is a lot shiftier skater. Hard to compare their seasons though, Lars played mostly J20 and Mads J18."

You can follow his stats on eliteprospects, they seem to be very up to date. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93351

Thanks for the information and good luck in the tournament.

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
I'd be worried about this team, they had trouble beating major junior teams that were icing their pre-season lineups.

Who's injured that should be going to the tournament ?

Patrick Russell
Felix M. Schell
Sebastian Ehlers

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
2nd game:

UofA 8
Team Denmark 3

Danish goals by:
Bau Hansen, (1),
Spelling, (1) (Schultz, Bjorkstrand),
Linnet, (1) (Kristensen, Spelling)

Again goaltending seems t be an issue. UofA scored on 5 of their first 10shots.
Nicklas Jensen did not play.

Horse

Go Canucks!
Feb 14, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Jensen looked somewhat questionable in goal. I enjoyed watching Eller though, tried to make some things happen offensively, blocked at least one very solid shot I saw.
I'm surprised the shots ended up somewhat close though, ice seemed very tilted in the Bears favour for at least the first half of the game.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
2nd game:

UofA 8
Team Denmark 3

Danish goals by:
Bau Hansen, (1),
Spelling, (1) (Schultz, Bjorkstrand),

Linnet, (1) (Kristensen, Spelling)

Again goaltending seems t be an issue. UofA scored on 5 of their first 10shots.
Nicklas Jensen did not play.

If we are to look at the small good signs it's Bau bein able to produce in the big rinks. He's a player that could very well be suited for smaller rinks. If this is a sign of promise he's in for good tournament. Second nice sign is the Spelling-Bjorkstrand-combination on the scoresheet. Dunno if Schultz is the thrid guy on that line or what Bjorkstrand it is, but just the fact that there it seems to be posible for these guys to bring some of their chemistry is nice.

The rest pretty much looks like we're gonna get our ***** kicked! :help:

Feuk or Jensen gotta step up!

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
If we are to look at the small good signs it's Bau bein able to produce in the big rinks. He's a player that could very well be suited for smaller rinks. If this is a sign of promise he's in for good tournament. Second nice sign is the Spelling-Bjorkstrand-combination on the scoresheet. Dunno if Schultz is the thrid guy on that line or what Bjorkstrand it is, but just the fact that there it seems to be posible for these guys to bring some of their chemistry is nice.

The rest pretty much looks like we're gonna get our ***** kicked! :help:

Feuk or Jensen gotta step up!

Might add the fact that the PK didn't allow any goals.....
They won the third period....
Christian Larsen had a save % above 85.... ;)

BLBarmada

Patrick Russell
Felix M. Schell
Sebastian Ehlers

I saw all 3 play once, and they all looked like Major Junior players, this will hurt you guys. Huge loss.

Scheel stood out the most that game, out Of those 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad