Sportsnet: Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher - Available for Sweetners in Trade

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Demko should be OFF the table unless the idiot GM gives Markstrom a NMC and 5 year contract then he is going with the old G and hoping he can stay healthy...
I would guess they have agreed to terms on the condition that Demko is gone. Vancouver doesn't want to sign the contract because they lose the leverage when offering Demko because other GMs will know they have to move Demko or lose him to Seattle.

If Demko is traded, I would expect a Markstrom signing soon after.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
It all just depends on what he's looking for on a multi year deal. My expectation would be around 3, maybe a little more. If that's around what he's looking for or expects as well, then it may never get to arb. I think it's just a case where the Nucks maybe have to allow for a team to talk to his reps and see what they want.

That being said, taking on a dump + Virtanen is like 50% of our available cap space...that's a lot for a dump and a guy who got some of it together but still managed to find his way to being a healthy scratch at times.
Yeah, I would be really disappointed if Fitz uses 50 % of that cap space for Virtanen and Baertschi. I think there are better options to use that cap space than those two.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Don’t sign dumb contracts in the first place Benning! Would be able to stomach Stecher, Gaudette or Virtanen leaving in a sweetener but not Demko, he’s the future. Let Markstrom walk and the Canucks free up 5-6 million, a lot of their cap problems solved by making an easy logical decision.

Reactions: Canuck86

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Beagle, Virtanen and 2021 6th round pick to Detroit for 2020 2nd round pick

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Virtanen 20 goals loads of untapped potential....

Stetcher 4-5 tweener and right hand shot...

What am I missing?
The troubling part with these two is they both are likely to get arbitration awards that are 1-1.5 million too high.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Sure, so aren't guys like Virtanen/Gaudette vs someone like Montour/Risto worth looking into? (obviously Vancouver adds)

Also, isn't someone like Demko a decent upgrade to Hutton/Ullmark while not yet able to command a crazy cap hit?

I don't know enough about both teams, but would something like Demko + Virtanen for either Montour or Risto be a basis of a trade worth trying to refine between the two teams?

It's not a beautiful hockey type trade, but it seems like there's enough reasons to see if there's a way to appease both sides IMO.
People are missing the point of the sweetener. The idea is not to trade away our young still cost controlled assets. The idea is to trade away a bad contract ie - Sutter/Beagle/Baertschi/Roussel/Eriksson and to attach a more valuable piece to that contract in order to maximize the return. Please explain the thought process of trading Virtanen (RFA, probably signs in the $2.75-3 range) and Demko (1 yr @$1million) for Montour or Risto - both potentially making more than the combined going back the other way. How is this in any way moving excess cap out? Not only do the Canucks lose the trade on the ice, but they lose it in cost and cap hit as well.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Virtanen 20 goals loads of untapped potential....

Stetcher 4-5 tweener and right hand shot...

What am I missing?
"The most obvious detractor is his overall two-way game given his defensive impact is decisively in the red. The number of shots and quality chances the Canucks allow with Virtanen on the ice is quite alarming, considering he doesn’t play matchup minutes. (...) Natural Stattrick tells us that only three Canucks forwards were on the ice for a higher rate of 5-on-5 scoring chances against than Virtanen. (...) Virtanen racks up individual points at an efficient rate, but his lines don’t score a lot of goals as a collective unit. (...) Every single one of Vancouver’s centres has scored more goals as a line playing without Virtanen then they have with him over the last two seasons. (...) Even if you were to remove last season from the equation and only focus on this year’s breakout campaign, the same fact remains true."

Re-sign or trade? Analyzing what the Canucks should do with Jake Virtanen

Virtanen is just like Athanasiou. He has speed and some offensive output, but otherwise he is pretty useless or even a defensive liability.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Demko out of the Pacific? Thank you Jesus.

Maybe Vegas can even pull a Doug Wilson 4d chess special and get Demko flipped to them.

Reactions: Grantham

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
People are missing the point of the sweetener. The idea is not to trade away our young still cost controlled assets. The idea is to trade away a bad contract ie - Sutter/Beagle/Baertschi/Roussel/Eriksson and to attach a more valuable piece to that contract in order to maximize the return. Please explain the thought process of trading Virtanen (RFA, probably signs in the $2.75-3 range) and Demko (1 yr @$1million) for Montour or Risto - both potentially making more than the combined going back the other way. How is this in any way moving excess cap out? Not only do the Canucks lose the trade on the ice, but they lose it in cost and cap hit as well.

I meant that there seemed to be a fit as both clubs in theory would want something from each other because they have excess of what each other needs. After that, you could take the basis of the trade and figure out how to toss in the bad contract.

I think there is a point to be made that Vancouver wants to dump contracts and Buffalo looking to tighten the budget, so fair enough, there might not be a fit between those two clubs.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Here is the way i see it:
LE- would cost at least Demko to move, likely with a significant add. Not worth it. Free up space elsewhere wand move LE after next year.

Beagle- I wouldn’t move, he was fine for us and we would then have to turn around and get a different 4c.

Rousel- won’t cost a ton to move, mid round pick or middle of the road prospect. He can still play a role in some teams.

Baertschi- need to move him, 1 year left. Probably an add to Stecher or Virtanen with a lowish return.

Sutter- not a dump necessarily, he can still play a role on any team. Retain at 25% and he will get a small return.

Benn- trade for minimal return.

We have 4.5 in cap space. If we can get out from Sutter, Benn, and Baer, we get to about 15 without to heavy a cost. We have a bunch of NHL ready prospects, and need to start working some of them in.

I expect a bit of a step back next year, but after that we are in ok shape cap wise (Yes, with signing EP and Hughes).

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I would guess they have agreed to terms on the condition that Demko is gone. Vancouver doesn't want to sign the contract because they lose the leverage when offering Demko because other GMs will know they have to move Demko or lose him to Seattle.

If Demko is traded, I would expect a Markstrom signing soon after.
Yes, only a total idiot would sign a useless goalie like Markstrom. Barely even top 5 in Vezina votes.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Can you imagine if the Canucks draft Demko with a high 2nd round pick 6 years ago, patiently develop him across 3 separate leagues, watch him dominate in the Stanley Cup finals at the end of the season and then turn around and kick him out the door all to trade an anchor contract that should have never been signed in the first place?

Sounds like Benning to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad