Sportsnet: Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher - Available for Sweetners in Trade

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Gaudette will be on a 2-3 year bridge deal at 2-2.5 million I would assume. Of all the guys on this OP's list, I think Gaudette is the least likely to be dealt.

But I want him. How do the Penguins get him?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Lol, you taking Jack Johnson?

Gaudette + Eriksson for Jack Johnson + ...?
nope - Gaudette isn't traded unless there is a bad contract attached to it. No reason to trade a 23 year old Center that just finished a solid rookie campaign. Why trade a young offensive C that will sign for 1.75-2. Only reason to move him is attached to a bad contract.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
what a terrible comparison. not even similar type of players.

edit - I wouldn't mind if he posted those numbers playing 12 minutes of ice time actually. not bad at all since he was projected to be a lot worst when he was drafted.
What are you talking about both guys have size and speed. Jake is on the same timeline. We will see if he finally becomes 30 goal scorer but he looks like an underachiever

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Lol, you taking Jack Johnson?

Gaudette + Eriksson for Jack Johnson + ...?

If Jack Johnson didn't have that extra year on his contact. This is no brainer for Van. Save 3 M in cap space and only a third line center is going the other way. To bad Johnson has that extra year on His contract.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Gaudette + Eriksson for Jack Johnson @ 80%?

No reason for a team like the Pens to take on Loui. Someone like the Sens, Wings, etc.

If we wanted to move JJ for someone on a bad contract we could get someone useful like Kyle Turris. Who still puts up good numbers just not 6mil worthy. Point is he would still provide help for Pens as their 3C. Loui does nothing but take up 6mil in cap. That requires a lot for someone to take on. Especially this year with the cap not going up.

I would do Gaudette and Baertschi tho for Riikola and Lafferty.

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
I love this time of year. All the hockey-starved would-be-GMs come out to play!

I honestly doubt we go the "sweetener" route. I'd be happy to go there but Benning is kinda "old-school" in his thinking. He's a hockey nerd who just wants to participate in "proper" hockey trades. He seems more annoyed by the Cap than willing to embrace the challenge.

I'm not sure some people in this thread get it: we do not want $$$ or players coming back unless that player actually fills a roster need while allowing for the progression/signings of our own roster. You'll get a decent asset and a cap-dump you can stomach as long as you are not looking to contend for a cup within 2 years. Given that description, it is no surprise that there aren't fans jumping over themselves to land an asset similar to many they already have in their own system. ;)

LE goes nowhere. He'll be our lethal empty-net glory hound for the next two years unless there are major shakeups within the NHL/NHLPA over the impact of the pandemic. If some team steps up and offers something that includes Demko....I'd want Benning to listen but not get too excited. I cannot fathom anyone taking LE w/o demanding Demko at this point.

I'm struggling with Marky/Demko. There is risk either way, especially with the Seattle draft upcoming. Lotsa $$$ to be saved if we let Marky walk and sign a 1B/back-up.

Jake is done in Van, imo. Too close to home and his enablers for him to pull his socks up. Good pick-up for a team willing to work on his focus/professionalism. He's a good sweetener to go with Baertschi. Could even be 2/3 of a second/third line for the right team. 2 possible 15-20 goal wingers for a late round pick? doesn't seem too bad.

Sutter. Hm. He's foundational...? heh. I could see a few teams willing to package Sutter/Beagle to get Gaudette. Once again, we would not be looking in your cupboards for players you want to keep (or dump back). Just give us a mid-round pick. All 3 of the players I just mentioned are NHL calibre; you just gotta know where you would want them to slot in.

Overall, a sweetener deal isn't about hitting a home-run. It's about weaponizing cap-space to gain some wiggle-room. The other team in the deal takes a stinker to get something they might not have been able to acquire...even if it's just some moderate upgrades in certain skill-sets for your team. Besides, if you think your teams scouts are better than ours, then you probably think that you could sneak an asset away that you can develop and taunt us with ;)

It's all moot, though. We'll unload a couple players in minor deals and let a couple walk. Then we'll sign one or two FA and test the waters with our talent at training camp. Plenty of interesting pieces there for us...and cheap. I do not anticipate any of the trades some of my fellow Canuck fans seem to want.

Ott and Det seem to be favourite landing spots for camp-dump proposals....you don't think they know that?!? High AAV - Low $$$ contracts are not as rare as we would like to think. I would expect both teams (if they even want to) to leverage their lone advantage to the max. Cap-dump with or without sweeteners will be competitive. In the end: that's likely why Benning is not so much a fan of those deals. He'd get skewered.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad