Rumor: Demko available? Value?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think Loui could be a Dev not sure Demko would be the ask. My problem with him would be him or Blackwood exposed in the Seattle draft. I don't like either of those options. I see other places where to move Loui you guys give up your '21 first, which I cannot see! No 1sts 2 yrs in a row? Is it that bad in Van? Sutter and Sven were also things I saw that we might take if the pkg contained something good.

I'm all ears, what's an offer that works for you?

And it's not terrible yet, but having cap space makes everything else a lot easier, rather then having to skrimp and try to force lowball contracts on every one.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm all ears, what's an offer that works for you?

And it's not terrible yet, but having cap space makes everything else a lot easier, rather then having to skrimp and try to force lowball contracts on every one.
All depends, are the BB rumours true or not? Also what is the likelihood that Lind or Pod could be had? Not straight up but with adds of course.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
All depends, are the BB rumours true or not? Also what is the likelihood that Lind or Pod could be had? Not straight up but with adds of course.

Lind could probably be had for the right price, but Pod and Boeser probably won't be desirable when you hear the price. Boeser being moved has been denied outright be management (and the guy that broke it is not exactly trustworthy either). We can listen, but New Jersey probably doesn't have the pieces we are looking for for him.

We are looking to move salary, so ELCs and prospects preferred. D especially. But we want as close to zero salary back, and priority comes to offers with cap dumps.

Reactions: Smitty426

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Gotta wonder if Sakic is going to kick the tires on Demko. Elite goalie and the Avs are a contender for sure in the near future. With the expansion draft coming, the Canucks don't have too much leverage. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing the names Tyson and Jost, so what I'm thinking is Shane Bowers and a conditional 3rd for Demko.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Gotta wonder if Sakic is going to kick the tires on Demko. Elite goalie and the Avs are a contender for sure in the near future. With the expansion draft coming, the Canucks don't have too much leverage. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing the names Tyson and Jost, so what I'm thinking is Shane Bowers and a conditional 3rd for Demko.
Are you saying Demko is an elite goalie?

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I don't see the Canucks trading him to the avs unless it's overpayment. they'd prob take less from an eastern team instead

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
He may be. But he’s certainly not an upgrade on what the avalanche have right now.

Yeah, but give it a year or two and who knows. Grubauer and Francouz are nothing special in my opinion. Trade for Demko, give him ~30 games next year and if things go well, starter duties in 2021-22.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think Demko can start right now. After 20 or so near consecutive games he’ll figure it out just fine. The Canucks kind of played a run and gun offense this year with hardly any defensive system, we often strung out goalies out for failure. Demko’s numbers would be a lot better on a team with an actual system, plus he’s going to continue to get better.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Demko’s future is tied 100% to Markstrom.

Nothing will happen until Markstrom either re-signs or leaves via FA.

If Markstrom re-signs, Demko likely gets traded due to the upcoming expansion draft.

If Markstrom leaves, there’s no chance Demko is dealt and a veteran compliment will likely be signed to split starts.

Thus, it’s likely a decision in Demko doesn’t happen till at least close to November’s FA period.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
All this talk about using players as sweeteners is premature.
The two hardest contracts to move LE and Baer are the ones that I think we see off the books.
I know that certain people here despise Benning and will look for any means to shit on him but the reality for LE is walk away maybe play in Europe or an NHL team closer to Dallas and try to win a gold with team Sweden, or even take a job with the Nucks internally. Or he can play in Utica riding the bus for 2 years to collect 5 million when he's made what 70 million over his career?
When it comes to Baer, the fact he opted out tells me his time is done here and if he wants any chance to get a contract for 21-22 hes going to need a better option then playing in Utica.
That's 9.5 million saved right there more then enough to sign TT, Marky and Tanev. Letting Stech, Fanta and Motte walk is another 4-5 million. Rouselle, Sutter and Beagle could all be moved with at worse some retention. Anyone who thinks there are no team's that would sign those 3 as free agents, is either a Benning hater or is just nieve.
All in all, there are so many options to clear the extra 8-9 million, any talk of Benning being forced to trade high picks or prospects is more of a narrative that the Benning haters spout because well lets face it, hes gotten much better at trades and has managed to sign some team-friendly contracts like the Edler, Myers and Boeser contracts who with the formers both had options for more term or money.

What I find funny is how haters continue actively bitch about Benning when the fact is the moves he made like Sutter Beagle and Rouselle were brought in to be placeholders and allow our young kids to be insulated and not rushed. Plus we have 70 million coming off the books over the next 3 seasons that will be replaced internally, allowing flexibility to not only lock up the core but potentially add pieces as needed.
Any move that is made wont be because we have to get under the cap, it will be dealing from a position of strength, not desperation.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Demko’s future is tied 100% to Markstrom.

Nothing will happen until Markstrom either re-signs or leaves via FA.

If Markstrom re-signs, Demko likely gets traded due to the upcoming expansion draft.

If Markstrom leaves, there’s no chance Demko is dealt and a veteran compliment will likely be signed to split starts.

Thus, it’s likely a decision in Demko doesn’t happen till at least close to November’s FA period.

Yes if you're talking about trading Demko you have to assume at this point Markstrom will be resigned. Regardless of what anyone thinks the Canucks should do, this is my own speculation of what the reality of the situation is:

1. Based on his history Benning's of preferring vets and being risk averse with young goalies his 1st choice is to sign Markstrom.
2. Markstrom's 1st choice is to stay in Vancouver. This is pretty much his one and only chance to cash in on a big NHL contract, and not saying he'll go for the biggest $$$ but he at least wants a competitive contract from the Canucks.
3. The Canucks salary cap is a mess, and with the number of moving parts the Canucks may want to sign: Markstrom, Toffoli, Tanev, Virtanen, Gaudette, etc, they may not have the cap space to give Markstrom a competitive contract.

Covid-19 has messed things all up but this was ongoing prior to that, considering how strong Markstrom has played and that we had all season to sign him to an extension. Don't take my word for it but from the reports I recall seeing that's come across the Canucks board I think they're offering him something like a $4.5M salary?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad