Confirmed with Link: Demers Signs for 2 Years, 3.4 AAV

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Anyone else really excited about the make-up of the Sharks D now? Everyone is either mobile, moves the puck better than average, or combines those skills. Scott Hannah is perfect as a 6/7 and maybe a prospect will surprise.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
Anyone else really excited about the make-up of the Sharks D now? Everyone is either mobile, moves the puck better than average, or combines those skills. Scott Hannah is perfect as a 6/7 and maybe a prospect will surprise.

Not too high, not too low. 84 days til the season. :dm:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'm fine with this signing. I might have also liked more term, but given the ****show the team is right now, I imagine he didn't want to commit too much term to this team. He was right to do that IMO.

Too lazy to do the digging to find the evidence, but Demers will, on occasion, make an unreal stretch pass to break a forward in the offensive zone. I recall him breaking Couture out on more than one occasion.

He's not super consistent still, but Demers has very well above-average vision. I'd agree that Braun and Burns are behind in terms of puck movement - Burns lacks the IQ, Braun goes for safe, easy plays and isn't able to generate as much offense.

Here's one ;)

Certainly not excited, it's got a pretty big skill gap and it remains to be seen how well Burns does back at D. And we have less depth than ever.

Last edited:

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If they do move Burns or Braun to LD, I'm looking forward to our top 4: Vlasic, Burns, Braun and Demers. All can skate, all can move the puck fairly well (to really well, Demers), and a couple really solid defensive dmen. We should see the total TOI for these top4 shifting towards them with the 3rd pairing avg around 16-18min total, I'd say.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I'm not looking forward to the bottom 2 though.

Burns and Demers would be a disaster, right? Hard to break Vlasic and Braun though.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm thinking that it's gonna be this by the end of the season:
Vlasic-Demers
Burns-Braun

Burns has had success against good competition on the left side and Braun was really fantastic as a shutdown RD. Vlasic-Demers pairing was pretty good last season too.

Going into the playoffs, I think they may end up hard specializing the pairings if need be and do:
Vlasic-Braun
Burns-Demers

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'm thinking that it's gonna be this by the end of the season:
Vlasic-Demers
Burns-Braun

Burns has had success against good competition on the left side and Braun was really fantastic as a shutdown RD. Vlasic-Demers pairing was pretty good last season too.

Going into the playoffs, I think they may end up hard specializing the pairings if need be and do:
Vlasic-Braun
Burns-Demers

It's sad when the 3rd pairing doesn't even rate a speculative mention. No, this D is nothing to be excited about, especially in the west.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
We could sign Crosby for 5 years at $3 million and people on this board would still complain. Demers got paid what he is worth.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's sad when the 3rd pairing doesn't even rate a speculative mention. No, this D is nothing to be excited about, especially in the west.

Both those pairings could be top pairings on teams if they work out. Like 25 minutes a night if they had to be. So that's something.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
We could sign Crosby for 5 years at $3 million and people on this board would still complain. Demers got paid what he is worth.

Well duh, why wouldn't we do seven if we get him at 3 mil? :sarcasm:

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

All about perspective.

If you're still hoping/thinking this team should be a Cup contender (which I think has been your view), then yes, you will (continuously) be disappointed.

If you don't think that and are just happy to not have a pylon (Stuart, Murray, Hannan) or an aging has-been (Boyle) in the top 4, then you're excited.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Too lazy to do the digging to find the evidence, but Demers will, on occasion, make an unreal stretch pass to break a forward in the offensive zone. I recall him breaking Couture out on more than one occasion.

He's not super consistent still, but Demers has very well above-average vision. I'd agree that Braun and Burns are behind in terms of puck movement - Burns lacks the IQ, Braun goes for safe, easy plays and isn't able to generate as much offense.

If memory serves, Hertl had more primary assists from Demers (on stretch passes) than Thornton this past season. Having said that, IMO Demers' defensive lapses more than give up what we gain with his offensive/passing ability. It would be great to see him have that break-out season.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If memory serves, Hertl had more primary assists from Demers (on stretch passes) than Thornton this past season. Having said that, IMO Demers' defensive lapses more than give up what we gain with his offensive/passing ability. It would be great to see him have that break-out season.

He led the Sharks dmen with 9 primary assists on ES and had a +14 +/-

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
All about perspective.

If you're still hoping/thinking this team should be a Cup contender (which I think has been your view), then yes, you will (continuously) be disappointed.

If you don't think that and are just happy to not have a pylon (Stuart, Murray, Hannan) or an aging has-been (Boyle) in the top 4, then you're excited.

Right, because there's nothing between having high expectations and having no expectations to speak of.

And there's nothing wrong at all with going from one to the other in a single offseason. :shakehead

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Right, because there's nothing between having high expectations and having no expectations to speak of.

And there's nothing wrong at all with going from one to the other in a single offseason. :shakehead

To each his own. It's obviously your prerogative to be frustrated that DW isn't doing what you want him to do.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I guess the question to ask is what d-corps would you take over the Sharks'? I'd take Chicago and St. Louis and maybe LA. Despite the need of a LHD, I'm pretty happy with what we have.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I guess the question to ask is what d-corps would you take over the Sharks'? I'd take Chicago and St. Louis and maybe LA. Despite the need of a LHD, I'm pretty happy with what we have.

I'd take all 3 of those d-corps.

I'm surprised the Ducks haven't landed a #2 or #3. That would put them up there with the other 3. The Bolts D should be pretty good, too. Rangers and Habs, maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad