LeBrun: Demers rejected trade to Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
great in Vancouver 1.4 million buys you a 35 year old pos house. no wonder he said no he can't afford it lol.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe it even has nothing to do with Vancouver.

Maybe the guy likes where he lives, maybe his spouse said they didn't want to move. Maybe the kids are settled in.

Maybe he likes fishing in the area.

Could be anything.

Uh he's only been a panther for like a year. As a transplanted Pittsburgh native in Vancouver, I can see why people don't want to live here. It's expensive to live and not because it's super nice, a closet sized apartment is gonna run you 2k a month. People are sort of nice but the drivers in Vancouver and neighbouring cities are the worst I have ever seen and I grew up in Pittsburgh and the UK.

The Canucks have no real direction. They are a hodge podge of reject ufas and veterans that should have moved on. Taking offense to demers not wanting to play there is absurd. I'm sure the players on the team probably 100% understand why he said no.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Good. I'd love to have him here if we were contending, but thats not in the cards right now. Only should be getting players under 24 through trades.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Vancouver is arguably the nicest place in Canada. I don't get why some fans are bashing the team or place.

Agreed, only place besides Toronto in Canada I'd prefer to live in. With that said, housing prices have gotten ridiculous there. It's really gone to crap recently.

Vancouver is a world class city.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Heh, I always get a kick when second-rate players reject trades to places, as if to say they are too good for those places. Who's gonna want you now, Jason? Good luck finding minutes in the NHL if you don't want to play for bad teams, because the good teams aren't knocking on your door any time soon...

Going by this site:

http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

Demers just saved himself 400k/year using his NTC.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I understand his choice (team-wise and money-wise, nothing to do with the city), and am glad he made it. Whatever we were going to send the other way should be used to try to get picks or prospects instead. Nothing wrong with him as a player, just not the kind of guy we should be targeting right now.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Uh he's only been a panther for like a year. As a transplanted Pittsburgh native in Vancouver, I can see why people don't want to live here. It's expensive to live and not because it's super nice, a closet sized apartment is gonna run you 2k a month. People are sort of nice but the drivers in Vancouver and neighbouring cities are the worst I have ever seen and I grew up in Pittsburgh and the UK.

The Canucks have no real direction. They are a hodge podge of reject ufas and veterans that should have moved on. Taking offense to demers not wanting to play there is absurd. I'm sure the players on the team probably 100% understand why he said no.

Hey Buddy the road runs out of town as well as into it. Just sayin':)

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Not sure how any Panthers fan can swallow that pablum with a straight face. That would mean Florida would need to add $15M in salary between now and opening night. Considering the team's only major need is a pair of middle-six LWs and Tallon "envisions" one of them being Haapala, there's no way you spend that much unless Patrick Marleau is given a max contract.

In reality, Demers will be moved for futures, and a player like Pirri will then be signed to fill out the third line as cheaply as possible:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Haapala-Trochek-Vrbata
Pirri-Bjugstad-Sceviour
MacKenzie-Malgin-Mamin
Haley McCann

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Petrovic
Downing/McCoshen-Pysyk
Weegar

Your 2017-18 Florida Penny-Pinching Panthers, folks.

Not even mad.

This is pretty damn true lol.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Never saw the appeal of Vancouver. Would be fine if it was middle class prices, but would never be my first or second choice.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

VAN taxes are a lot harsher than FLA taxes.

Other than playing a team run by Benning he would be taking a major paycut for the duration of his contract.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
VAN taxes are a lot harsher than FLA taxes.

Other than playing a team run by Benning he would be taking a major paycut for the duration of his contract.

Yeh...that was my thought...it must be a tax thing.....Demers set to earn $4.5m a season for the next five years....the tax difference would be considerable.

Because it's not like the Panther--with a mandate to whack $10m from their payroll, are going to be a contender any time soon either....he'll be a buy-out candidate before he ever finishes playing through his deal anyway, so the Canucks dodged a bullet.

Nov 1, 2011
great in Vancouver 1.4 million buys you a 35 year old pos house. no wonder he said no he can't afford it lol.

Keep in mind that house is in the suburbs, in Vancouver proper, in a good neighbourhood a teardown could be as much as $5.5m.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
You can take it as an insult to your city if you want, but Miami, better taxes, and potentially a contending team (since VAN is 100% not) is a very good reason to reject any trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad