LeBrun: Demers rejected trade to Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Vancouver is arguably the nicest place in Canada. I don't get why some fans are bashing the team or place.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
How is this guy being unloaded? Kept hearing from analytics experts that he could have been the answer for the Oilers on the 1st pair.

His point totals this year don't look too bad. 4.5M AAV which is the going rate for a 2nd pair guy now. What's the deal?

It is rumored that Panthers ownership asked the club to cut $10M in salary. They're almost there with the Smith ($5M) trade and Jokinen ($2.7M) buyout, but they also had to resign Petrovic ($700K raise) and will need to do the same with Pysyk (probably +$700K as well). Trading Demers and his $4.5M would put them right at the $10M mark.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Canuck fans are pissed he doesn't want to play for them. Now they are acting like he was never good in the first place just to satisfy their egos.

Fans don't want him. We're happy he nixed the trade because it means our idiot GM can't trade for him. So really, we all love Demers.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Vancouver is arguably the nicest place in Canada. I don't get why some fans are bashing the team or place.

Probably because they suck horribly and ppl like to make fun of bad teams. Rejecting the trade adds more salt to the wound :laugh:

Also it's more the islands and close to the water that's nice. Combined with the view it's pretty. But Rest of the actual city is nothing special

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Heh, I always get a kick when second-rate players reject trades to places, as if to say they are too good for those places. Who's gonna want you now, Jason? Good luck finding minutes in the NHL if you don't want to play for bad teams, because the good teams aren't knocking on your door any time soon...

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Heh, I always get a kick when second-rate players reject trades to places, as if to say they are too good for those places. Who's gonna want you now, Jason? Good luck finding minutes in the NHL if you don't want to play for bad teams, because the good teams aren't knocking on your door any time soon...

What? 2nd rate or not , I don't see why he wouldn't use his option if he wants to. Something that both parties have agreed to.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Why are people bashing Demers for exercising his contractual right? If he is such a nobody then be happy he didn't accept it. No need for the Na.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It is rumored that Panthers ownership asked the club to cut $10M in salary. They're almost there with the Smith ($5M) trade and Jokinen ($2.7M) buyout, but they also had to resign Petrovic ($700K raise) and will need to do the same with Pysyk (probably +$700K as well). Trading Demers and his $4.5M would put them right at the $10M mark.

According to Cifu, one of the team's owners, they'll be close to $75 mil, last year they were at $65, year before $67.

So...

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Without fear of being attacked...

Early indication is Vancouver is making the same mistakes the oilers made.

At the deadline it somewhat looked like the team was embracing the rebuild...with what is reportedly happening today...they are trying to rebuild on the fly

Took awhile for the oilers to embrace it and admit it.

Nuck fans may not like this view..but I see the similierties

I am a canucks fan and several signs point to the fact our idiotic management is still not full in on a rebuild.

They think competing and trying to make playoffs is like finding a vaccine its the greatest thing ever. Poor kids are going to be bums if they dont get veteran players to mentor them and compete for playoffs, no initiative, no compete. Thats truly what I think when I hear and see managements moves. Its absurd. But the media also point to edmonton when they discuss the need for this.

Meanwhile I dont know how competitive the hawks were and how many vets were mentoring toews and kane.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Canuck fans are pissed he doesn't want to play for them. Now they are acting like he was never good in the first place just to satisfy their egos.

I am not pissed at all as a canucks fan. It was a head scratcher why we were even tryig to acquire him in my opinion. We have our rignt side set already.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
According to Cifu, one of the team's owners, they'll be close to $75 mil, last year they were at $65, year before $67.

So...

Did they not add dadonov at 4m and vrbata at 2.5 that could be 3.75?

Maybe you added that in not sure

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I live in Vancouver and its a wonderful place to be, but if I was a hockey player who was looking at trying to win a championship in the near-term there's no way in hell I'd come to Vancouver. Plus, there's the fact that our management team is full of buffoons which leads to an unstable environment to be in as well.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I live in Vancouver and its a wonderful place to be, but if I was a hockey player who was looking at trying to win a championship in the near-term there's no way in hell I'd come to Vancouver. Plus, there's the fact that our management team is full of buffoons which leads to an unstable environment to be in as well.

Maybe it even has nothing to do with Vancouver.

Maybe the guy likes where he lives, maybe his spouse said they didn't want to move. Maybe the kids are settled in.

Maybe he likes fishing in the area.

Could be anything.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Players arent signing with vancouver because they think they will win a cup. They sin here because they got more money or term.

They also may sign here because they see an opportunity to take on a bigger role on a lesser team. To me that screams del zotto, in his interview he wanted a chance to be more offensive he lost that in philly when ghost burst onto the scene. Plus philly has some good young cheap d coming up.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
LOLL at canucks fans bashing Demers. Almost any player wouldve done the same if they had the choice sorry to say. Your franchise is at all time low right now. There's nothing to be looking forward too (yet). Good luck for the future

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I dont mind less people coming to beautiful british columbia the better. I love this place!

Let the haters stay away and live wherever they feel is so much better than here.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

So...

Not sure how any Panthers fan can swallow that pablum with a straight face. That would mean Florida would need to add $15M in salary between now and opening night. Considering the team's only major need is a pair of middle-six LWs and Tallon "envisions" one of them being Haapala, there's no way you spend that much unless Patrick Marleau is given a max contract.

In reality, Demers will be moved for futures, and a player like Pirri will then be signed to fill out the third line as cheaply as possible:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Haapala-Trochek-Vrbata
Pirri-Bjugstad-Sceviour
MacKenzie-Malgin-Mamin
Haley McCann

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Petrovic
Downing/McCoshen-Pysyk
Weegar

Your 2017-18 Florida Penny-Pinching Panthers, folks.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
^that's BS and you know it ! it's funny how easily fans equate a bad hockey team into the city sucking as well. one of the fastest growing cities in Canada and all the people i know from places like Ontario, Quebec and B.C. tell me they LOVE living here ! :shakehead

All the people you know probably couldn't cut it in those cities and edm probably feels really comfortable to them. I used to have a client 5 years ago that was based out of Edmonton so I'm very familiar. If we're being honest, Vancouver (and it's other subsideries) is really the only place in Canada worth moving to. Maybe MTL as a second (gun to head).

Anyways moving on: Looks like a lot of NHL players share the same sentiments (I personally know 1 on a 'texting' basis and 3 others that are mutual friends) - so sucks for Canadian teams as this is probably going to be more and more of a major league problem. Gonna be tough finding the right $$ to attract the good names - and even then the caliber is the Lucics and Eriksson's of the world.

Feb 24, 2017
Ya I mean why sign with a playoff team when you can sign with a bottom feeder like Vancouver? :laugh:

There are 15 other teams every season that make the playoffs without the players having to live in Edmonton, Alberta.

So 15 better options at any given time for players concerned about winnng.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's interesting things to do, sites to see, and good neighborhoods in every major city in the world. It really doesn't matter. Especially for me, because leaving in New York, I don't have to travel to see interesting things.

Cities are made or broken by their people. I have lots of friends in the Vancouver area. Some of the best people in the world. If I didn't live in New York, I would live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad