LeBrun: Demers rejected trade to Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, why the hell would Florida want Gudbranson back? That just seems like a terrible move for the Panthers.

Hey Buddy the road runs out of town as well as into it. Just sayin':)

I'm paid very well for a company that transferred me to their Vancouver office. Instead of being mad, why don't you pray it gets fixed.

Reactions: Peen

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Wait, why the hell would Florida want Gudbranson back? That just seems like a terrible move for the Panthers.

I'm paid very well for a company that transferred me to their Vancouver office. Instead of being mad, why don't you pray it gets fixed.

One of Tallon's boys and a big locker room character. Tallon just reclaimed front office powers and is undoing all the stuff the last guys did. I imagine if he could rehire Gallant, he would.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
One of Tallon's boys and a big locker room character. Tallon just reclaimed front office powers and is undoing all the stuff the last guys did. I imagine if he could rehire Gallant, he would.

Well let's not close the door on a gudbranson deal. Especially if he plays half decent and wants a monster deal, and we ship him out at the deadline

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vancouver is arguably the nicest place in Canada. I don't get why some fans are bashing the team or place.

They bash vancity because it's the only Canadian city that is literally ranked in the top 10 in living standards, and we don't get as much snow as the other major cities in Canada. It's a country rilvary thing. It's totally out of context now to see some fans bash the city, when it's quite obvious demers refused to waive to Vancouver. Despite being probably one of the most beautiful cities in the world it's really hard to top Miami.

Props to him though, not surprised he refused to waive to vancity. Team is in the process of a rebuild.

I personally want to see gudbranson play with a working wrist.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Don't see any reason why he'd want to take less money to move to a crap team.

I'd also be willing to bet that pretty much all Canadian teams are on a lot of players' No Trade lists, if only for tax reasons. Weather too, in most cases.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It was supposed to say "had".

Van offered the same contract because the team sucks. EDM had to do it because you have to give an "offer you can't refuse" to make someone voluntarily give up their best years to live there.. Not a hard concept. He wanted to sign in LA for less until it was a cap issue. Why? Because LA is actually a great place to live AND they were good. I think you're smart enough to see what I'm getting at here.

Montreal offer more . Lucic has said it himself

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What's ridiculous about that? You seriously think Edmonton is an attractive destination? Edmonton is a place where you're from, not where you go.

Funny you say this . Do some research . Talbot told Edmonton not to trade for him he wasn't interested in resigning there . They took the chance and he resigned saying him and his wife loves the city . Point 2 I live it Vancouver years ago and I would rank Edmonton and Calgary both better cities . Then there the hockey side of things . Players only play 41 games a year in the city the sign with . 41 games they are in other cities , then most of their summers are spent where they grew up . So signing with a team is more about having a chance to win while on the contract they sign .

Doesn't matter that I didn't like the city as it an opinion and many will agree and many will disagree . Makes no one right and I am not trying to push not likely Vancouver on anyone else unlike you . Remember Cagguila he was also going to sign with the Canucks , same contract but once he visit Edmonton he loved it . Everyone has different taste . Your bashing Edmonton is about your dislike for the team and your statement are not base on any fact

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Why is this still open? What is there actually left to discuss???

Or is it open still so people can sling mud at eachother's city? And on Canada Day no less...

Just make your guys' dads fight already or get out the tape measure or something....Just stop acting like a bunch of children.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
You can take it as an insult to your city if you want, but Miami, better taxes, and potentially a contending team (since VAN is 100% not) is a very good reason to reject any trade.

I wish people would stop thinking FL = Miami. The Panthers are in Sunrise, FL, which is much closer to Fort Lauderdale than Miami.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Don't see any reason why he'd want to take less money to move to a crap team.

I'd also be willing to bet that pretty much all Canadian teams are on a lot of players' No Trade lists, if only for tax reasons. Weather too, in most cases.

Pretty much this. And also media spotlight/pressure from fans. There are a lot of reasons players want to avoid playing in Canadian cities.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Funny you say this . Do some research . Talbot told Edmonton not to trade for him he wasn't interested in resigning there . They took the chance and he resigned saying him and his wife loves the city . Point 2 I live it Vancouver years ago and I would rank Edmonton and Calgary both better cities . Then there the hockey side of things . Players only play 41 games a year in the city the sign with . 41 games they are in other cities , then most of their summers are spent where they grew up . So signing with a team is more about having a chance to win while on the contract they sign .

Doesn't matter that I didn't like the city as it an opinion and many will agree and many will disagree . Makes no one right and I am not trying to push not likely Vancouver on anyone else unlike you . Remember Cagguila he was also going to sign with the Canucks , same contract but once he visit Edmonton he loved it . Everyone has different taste . Your bashing Edmonton is about your dislike for the team and your statement are not base on any fact

Players will sign in Edmonton beacuse they have the best player in the league and he is only 20. Remove McDavid from that team and they would go back to having to over pay to attract free agents. See Sekera and Pouliot.

Oilers are trending up after a dismal decade on continuous failure. Canucks are going down hill and will take a while to rebound.

Vancouver is by far a better place to live over Edmonton or Calgary. Not as cold, little to no snow. Beautiful ski hills and the ocean. The team ya dont sign here or come here if your trying to win a cup soon in your career, come here if you want more ice time and more responsibilty. Any position on our team could use upgrades.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Players will sign in Edmonton beacuse they have the best player in the league and he is only 20. Remove McDavid from that team and they would go back to having to over pay to attract free agents. See Sekera and Pouliot.

Oilers are trending up after a dismal decade on continuous failure. Canucks are going down hill and will take a while to rebound.

Vancouver is by far a better place to live over Edmonton or Calgary. Not as cold, little to no snow. Beautiful ski hills and the ocean. The team ya dont sign here or come here if your trying to win a cup soon in your career, come here if you want more ice time and more responsibilty. Any position on our team could use upgrades.

Problem with Van is it is one of the most depressing cities in the world. The amount of rain and dreary skies is insane. I am sure it is better in the winter but as someone who likes the sun I would much rather live in Calgary or Edmonton in the summer. I have had relatives had to leave Victoria because of the depression. Literally 190 days of rain a year is not fun.

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/26/sunniest-cities-in-canada_n_4165107.html

Plus the prices in Vancouver are outrageous. Unless you are rich or/and from China or India you are prob not having a good time there. Heck I bet most of the Van fans here live in Surrey and pretend they are from Van. Surrey is Detroit lite.

Last edited:

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
Problem with Van is it is one of the most depressing cities in the world. The amount of rain and dreary skies is insane. I am sure it is better in the winter but as someone who likes the sun I would much rather live in Calgary or Edmonton in the summer. I have had relatives had to leave Victoria because of the depression. Literally 190 days of rain a year is not fun.

Grew up in Vancouver - yes. Snowy cities are much brighter in winter as well because of light reflecting off the white snow. Vancouver is just gloom.

Plus, wet cold. -10 in Edmonton is nicer than 0 in Vancouver.

- Genius out

"Let the sun shine"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

The simple reason is that Gudbranson is on a one-year contract for $3.5m and the Panthers could flip him at the deadline as an impeding UFA if they don't want to keep him....Demers is older (29) and is due $4.5m a season for four more years.

Thank God Demers said 'no" under his NTC....actually saved Benning from himself.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
They bash vancity because it's the only Canadian city that is literally ranked in the top 10 in living standards, and we don't get as much snow as the other major cities in Canada. It's a country rilvary thing. It's totally out of context now to see some fans bash the city, when it's quite obvious demers refused to waive to Vancouver. Despite being probably one of the most beautiful cities in the world it's really hard to top Miami.

Props to him though, not surprised he refused to waive to vancity. Team is in the process of a rebuild.

I personally want to see gudbranson play with a working wrist.

Im from BC, and although Vancouver is in a beautiful place, I wouldn't want to live there. Traffic sucks, many parts of the lower mainland I feel like a tourist visiting another country. Personally, I really like Calgary for a bigger city in Canada, but I love the Island and Kelowna area those are the best spots in Canada imho, not Vancouver.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Grew up in Vancouver - yes. Snowy cities are much brighter in winter as well because of light reflecting off the white snow. Vancouver is just gloom.

- Genius out

"Let the sun shine"

Why do all the albertians come to bc then?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lol ive lived everwhere in Canada and Vancouver is Easily on top of the list as far as best place to live w edmonton being the worstt. Montreal is a close 2nd to Vancouver and actually has more culture and better food than Vancouver but Theres a reason why players spend their off season in BC . Theres a reason why Vancouver is called Hollywood North. Van city has evrything from forrestry lakes ocean mountains .

Demers turning down Vancouver is definitely more to do w. A rebuilding team and tax free living in Flordia.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So this is news? And still relevant?

And we have fans from neither Florida, or Vancouver, coming here to rag on the city and team?

Nifty.

We got Del Zotto and Wiercoch, and I think they, mostly one, will have more impact on our roster than Demers would. Demers being happier away from Vancouver is totally fine, we will live, he will live, and even if there was some salt on our part, we get it, a rebuilding team isn't an attractive destination, not hard feelings Jason.

Why is this thread still open and having new comments being made?:laugh:

Price just broke the Canadiens, Toronto just signed a 37 year old Marleau to a 3 year deal as a Sundin-esque mentor (I draw the comparison to show I'm not deriding this one), Kovalchuk hasn't made it back to North America and Radulov, some the crazy how, is still a free agent.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Im from BC, and although Vancouver is in a beautiful place, I wouldn't want to live there. Traffic sucks, many parts of the lower mainland I feel like a tourist visiting another country. Personally, I really like Calgary for a bigger city in Canada, but I love the Island and Kelowna area those are the best spots in Canada imho, not Vancouver.

LOL you said Traffic sucks wait to you try driving in Toronto.

I like Calgary a lot too. It's kinda like a Seattle.

- Genius out

"Let the sun shine"

this is what I mean when I said rest of Canada hates Vancouver. They will also lie about stuff like this. What he said its equivalent of saying -10 Detroit is nicer then 0 in Los Angeles. Just google image edmonton. then google image Vancouver. See for yourself.

anyways there is no way Vancouver was the only team on Demers can it be?

Demers being happier away from Vancouver is totally fine,

Right now I don't think a lot of players will choose Vancouver. I'm surprised Sam Gagner signed in Vancity.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
This. That's why all rich Canadian celebrities or anybody else worth a damn from there head south. No players that aren't already Canadian voluntary want to live in Canada without something huge to incentivize them - hence why I never understand why fans of these Canadian teams get all upset over overpaying for players.

It was a tough sell to begin with and Demers made the right choice

Canadian players don't usually want to play in Canada either. No one does these days it seems.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/26/sunniest-cities-in-canada_n_4165107.html

Plus the prices in Vancouver are outrageous. Unless you are rich or/and from China or India you are prob not having a good time there. Heck I bet most of the Van fans here live in Surrey and pretend they are from Van. Surrey is Detroit lite.

I'm in Horseshoe Bay village.

jeppe82*

Dec 2, 2016
Vaasa
Why is this still open? What is there actually left to discuss???

Or is it open still so people can sling mud at eachother's city? And on Canada Day no less...

Just make your guys' dads fight already or get out the tape measure or something....Just stop acting like a bunch of children.

:booboo:

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012

Whatever caused that lack of oversight in that office I'm praying real hard it gets fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad