Confirmed with Link: Dell to have telephone hearing with DOPS (3 games)

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
It was a bad hit that resulted in injury. The problem is this type of interference happens every game with skaters and is rarely called (not always an injury either). He has no priors but that hit a few weeks ago will be referenced. I'd say a fine or one game will be given.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
How is that not a clear interference call? Batherson didn't have the puck.

If Lehner does that to Tuch and Alex is hurt, people would not be saying it was borderline.

That was a cheap shot. The only complaint I will have if Dell is suspended is just the inconsistency of DOPS rulings.

Dell should get 5 games, at least, for that play. But, there are plenty of guys that should get time who don't...

:dunno:

No, Dell should NOT be suspended

5 and a game is the appropriate punishment. Not every hard hit or rule violation needs a suspension.

He should be retroactively be assed a game misconduct and be forced to serve it in his next game

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Incidental contact, no action required. If you choose to skate that close to an opposing player you can expect a little bump. The blame falls entirely on Batherson for not being aware of his surroundings. He probably looked at Dell the wrong way, and that's enough in my book to empty the benches. This isn't figure skating! We need to stand up for our boys and defend their right to protect the blue and gold. This is ridiculous. One of our guys takes one little, teeny-weeny cheapshot and everyone is all over him, even the team's fans. This is the kind of mentality to be expected from the softest team in the league. We need to be proud of what we want to become, the meanest, nastiest, most vicious and dirty team in the NHL!

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Looked to me that Dell saw that the Ottawa player was cutting it too close for comfort while pursuing Samuelsson. So he decided to stand his ground in order to protect himself. I think that if he had tried to dodge the Ottawa player, he could have been mowed over and risk injury himself. Other than a possible interference call - though it was the Ottawa player who was going to run into him - I'd say that Dell could have been a little more subtle.....

It is unfortunate that the player was hurt, but it appeared to me that if Dell had not fended him off he was going to get clobbered himself.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Looked to me that Dell saw that the Ottawa player was cutting it too close for comfort while pursuing Samuelsson. So he decided to stand his ground in order to protect himself. I think that if he had tried to dodge the Ottawa player, he could have been mowed over and risk injury himself. Other than a possible interference call - though it was the Ottawa player who was going to run into him - I'd say that Dell could have been a little more subtle.....

It is unfortunate that the player was hurt, but it appeared to me that if Dell had not fended him off he was going to get clobbered himself.

Dell stopped his stroll back to the crease to take out the unsuspecting F1 on the forecheck to give his D more time to make the first pass.

The forward does not expect to get hit because:

A) He doesn't have the puck and hasn't had the puck recently
B) Goalies don't usually cheap shot guys like that

If Lehner hurts Tuch or Cozens on a play like that, Sabres fans are losing their minds and want Lehner suspended for a long time.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

No, it didn't look like that.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Dell stopped his stroll back to the crease to take out the unsuspecting F1 on the forecheck to give his D more time to make the first pass.

The forward does not expect to get hit because:

A) He doesn't have the puck and hasn't had the puck recently
B) Goalies don't usually cheap shot guys like that

If Lehner hurts Tuch or Cozens on a play like that, Sabres fans are losing their minds and want Lehner suspended for a long time.

Unsuspecting player that is also skating hard directly towards, and only a handful of feet away from, the boards. Legs crashing into the boards in an awkward manner is a likely outcome from that. Its unnecessarily dangerous. There are better ways to cheap shot a guy.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Unsuspecting player that is also skating hard directly towards, and only a handful of feet away from, the boards. Legs crashing into the boards in an awkward manner is a likely outcome from that. Its unnecessarily dangerous. There are better ways to cheap shot a guy.
What would you give Dell on the cheap shot scale 1-10?

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Incidental contact, no action required. If you choose to skate that close to an opposing player you can expect a little bump. The blame falls entirely on Batherson for not being aware of his surroundings. He probably looked at Dell the wrong way, and that's enough in my book to empty the benches. This isn't figure skating! We need to stand up for our boys and defend their right to protect the blue and gold. This is ridiculous. One of our guys takes one little, teeny-weeny cheapshot and everyone is all over him, even the team's fans. This is the kind of mentality to be expected from the softest team in the league. We need to be proud of what we want to become, the meanest, nastiest, most vicious and dirty team in the NHL!
I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but I tend to agree. I don't want to see anyone's health in jeopardy but we've been on the receiving end of those plays time and time again. Then again, none of this really matters. We're a soft team, Dell won't be here next here and someone from Boston or Tampa will run our goalie and we'll have a thread complaining about a dirty hit while the team sits in the bottom 10 of the standings.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

On December 1, 2019 I was skating at high speed towards the boards to play a puck and felt a stick take out my legs. I went left skate first into the boards and broke, tore, and dislocated my left ankle. I haven't played since, though much of that is due to Covid restrictions (our rink can't decide if they will make you wear a mask to play or not and I can't breathe well enough without one much less with one). I still flinch on any play that takes a guy out on his path towards the boards. Dell should have known better and I suspect his frustration had a lot to do with his decision on making that play. He definitely deserves a suspension.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
On December 1, 2019 I was skating at high speed towards the boards to play a puck and felt a stick take out my legs. I went left skate first into the boards and broke, tore, and dislocated my left ankle. I haven't played since, though much of that is due to Covid restrictions (our rink can't decide if they will make you wear a mask to play or not and I can't breathe well enough without one much less with one). I still flinch on any play that takes a guy out on his path towards the boards. Dell should have known better and I suspect his frustration had a lot to do with his decision on making that play. He definitely deserves a suspension.

I cringed just imagining that happening to you. Very sorry to hear that it's still affecting you.

Reactions: Dingo44

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
How was there no interference call on that play? The NHL is ridiculous all around, but especially with officiating and the DOPS. The atrocious way the Blackhawks' situation was handled earlier was a real eye-opener too. Maybe it's due to a stressful week for me on top of the disappointment of that Bills loss on Sunday, but given the fact that the Sabres are terrible again anyway I'm feeling like just forgetting about hockey for the rest of the year.

Hang in there with whatever is going on in your life. If you need to vent, PM me and vent away.

Agree with all the bolded.

Also agree with other posters who correctly note that play, whether legal or not, whether the interference is called or not, happens numerous times a year without injury and no DOPeS review is done (and sometimes, no penalty during the game).

And, likewise, @Montag DP -- PM if you wish to vent re: life.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

You boys here have gone soft. pathetic really.

Reactions: Bones Malone

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Yeah, Anderson and Subban both got hurt by getting run by opponents and nothing happened on either play. That said, let someone on the team start playing defense like a lumberjack on meth out there and make it known that going near one of their netminders is going to result in an amount of pain distributed back that it isn't worth it. But that's me, and I'm a knuckledragger.
I'm offended. I am a lumberjack.
JK

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
On the bright side, if Dell's suspended, the Sabres may have to call up a Canisius alum. Charles Williams '17 (34 GP, 1.82 / .943, 6 SO that season) is on a PTO with Rochester right now.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but it would be a nice note in a otherwise rough hockey season.

EDIT: It's three games for Dell. The hope per John Vogl/The Athletic is that Anderson continues to progress and is able to back up Houser this weekend.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad