Confirmed with Link: Dell to have telephone hearing with DOPS (3 games)

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
What Dell did was wrong and it’s obviously not fair to the Sens or batherson but how many players have crashed into our goalies without any real consequence. Per the rules, Dell at worse committed borderline interference but 9 out of 10 refs would deem legal. It’s against the so called decorum. Nearly every team has one or two players who are on the roster because they break these unspoken rules. Tampas entire team is like that. If Dell kept laying guys out, we’ll stop calling him out for it and start saying so and so should have known better to put himself in that position around Dell. I’ll honestly be kinda pissed if he gets suspended. Its barely interference if at all. Per the actual Rules of the NHL, he has every right to lay a hit on someone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What Dell did was wrong and it’s obviously not fair to the Sens or batherson but how many players have crashed into our goalies without any real consequence. Per the rules, Dell at worse committed borderline interference but 9 out of 10 refs would deem legal. It’s against the so called decorum. Nearly every team has one or two players who are on the roster because they break these unspoken rules. Tampas entire team is like that. If Dell kept laying guys out, we’ll stop calling him out for it and start saying so and so should have known better to put himself in that position around Dell. I’ll honestly be kinda pissed if he gets suspended. Its barely interference if at all. Per the actual Rules of the NHL, he has every right to lay a hit on someone.

It isn't the first time Dell has checked someone as they pursue near the end boards. This time it resulted in an injury and we know that is what the NHL is always more interested in than how the rules are written or enforced.

As for the Sabres losing both Anderson and Subban to being run, that doesn't have bearing on this play.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

How is that not a clear interference call? Batherson didn't have the puck.

If Lehner does that to Tuch and Alex is hurt, people would not be saying it was borderline.

That was a cheap shot. The only complaint I will have if Dell is suspended is just the inconsistency of DOPS rulings.

Dell should get 5 games, at least, for that play. But, there are plenty of guys that should get time who don't...

:dunno:

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
How is that not a clear interference call? Batherson didn't have the puck.

If Lehner does that to Tuch and Alex is hurt, people would not be saying it was borderline.

That was a cheap shot. The only complaint I will have if Dell is suspended is just the inconsistency of DOPS rulings.

Dell should get 5 games, at least, for that play. But, there are plenty of guys that should get time who don't...

:dunno:

This is my point. Until they start suspending the sLew foots and high elbows on a regular basis, im not going to be disgusted that we have a guy who happens to be a goalie on our team like that. He wont be suspended. And thats the problem.

Reactions: Ehran and Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dell definitely deserves some time off for that. Frustrating as f*** that this gets discipline but other teams running and injuring a half dozen Sabres goalies does not, though.

Yeah, Anderson and Subban both got hurt by getting run by opponents and nothing happened on either play. That said, let someone on the team start playing defense like a lumberjack on meth out there and make it known that going near one of their netminders is going to result in an amount of pain distributed back that it isn't worth it. But that's me, and I'm a knuckledragger.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Yeah, Anderson and Subban both got hurt by getting run by opponents and nothing happened on either play. That said, let someone on the team start playing defense like a lumberjack on meth out there and make it known that going near one of their netminders is going to result in an amount of pain distributed back that it isn't worth it. But that's me, and I'm a knuckledragger.

Our defensemen can also be proactive and not allow a free lane to the net :dunno:

We just don't deny access to the front of the net in the same way as other teams, way to much reliance on stick checks and playing the puck over the body.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Our defensemen can also be proactive and not allow a free lane to the net :dunno:

We just don't deny access to the front of the net in the same way as other teams, way to much reliance on stick checks and playing the puck over the body.

Very true. But in the Anderson injury, it was Hertl beside the net, not just driving through in the same way that Maroon on Subban was. They could use more mean and physical contesting by the d-men, for sure.

All that aside, Dell's antics are possibly even more damaging because if he gets suspended without Anderson able to play, they'll be wasting ANOTHER contract on goaltending, even if it's just for a game or two. It was stupid because Batherson got hurt and it's stupid because there is the possibility now that they will be even more limited in brokering and making deals this spring.

Reactions: Fezzy126

member 334057

The Hertl play is a good example. I think if the defenseman had played that physically and checked Hertl as he was driving the net it may have been enough to avoid the contact with Anderson.

The Subban play was more of a fluke from what I could tell, Maroon basically tried to set-up in the crease and when Subban slid back to the other side he bumped his skate and knocked him off balance. Although Joker also didn't really do anything to prevent Maroon from being well inside the crease either. A lot of teams have guys getting deep in the crease trying to tip or deflect shots though, it's not unique to Buffalo.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
it's only due to the optics of Batherson getting injured. No injury and it's a classic interference penalty that's 50/50 whether it's called during gameplay
Yep. If he gets suspended it just shows the act itself isn’t being punished. The result is. Which is is joke. Dell did the same thing to Stone a few years ago and there was no suspension because no injury.

Either the act itself is suspendible or it isn’t. I’m not even defending Dell but pointing out the stupidity of NHL enforcement. You want to eliminate stuff like that then any time it happens there should be a consequence. Not only when someone gets hurt. If you punish it all the time you may actually prevent an injury. Because players may start to think twice.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
How was there no interference call on that play? The NHL is ridiculous all around, but especially with officiating and the DOPS. The atrocious way the Blackhawks' situation was handled earlier was a real eye-opener too. Maybe it's due to a stressful week for me on top of the disappointment of that Bills loss on Sunday, but given the fact that the Sabres are terrible again anyway I'm feeling like just forgetting about hockey for the rest of the year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
How was there no interference call on that play? The NHL is ridiculous all around, but especially with officiating and the DOPS. Maybe it's due to a stressful week for me, on top of the disappointment of that Bills loss on Sunday, but given the fact that the Sabres are terrible again anyway I'm feeling like just forgetting about hockey for the rest of the year.
Hang in there with whatever is going on in your life. If you need to vent, PM me and vent away.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Good. Hope he gets launched into the sun.
Agreed, except we only have 2 goalies. If he misses time from a suspension (or getting launched into the sun) we'll have to sign another goalie and we are running out of our 50 contract limit. Can Craig Anderson be ready to at least backup Houser by the next game?

Reactions: Jacob582

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
He’ll miss it, high glove side.
Which side is glove side for the sun? Wasn't sure if it was a righty or lefty? If the sun plays goalie, can it fill in for Dell as he's drifting into another universe? I think its size will come in handy in front of the net. Good luck trying to run our goalie when that happens!

Sorry. Just.......sorry.

Reactions: joshjull

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Agreed, except we only have 2 goalies. If he misses time from a suspension (or getting launched into the sun) we'll have to sign another goalie and we are running out of our 50 contract limit. Can Craig Anderson be ready to at least backup Houser by the next game?

I'd rather role an EBUG the rest of the season than see Dell in net again.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
All that aside, Dell's antics are possibly even more damaging because if he gets suspended without Anderson able to play, they'll be wasting ANOTHER contract on goaltending, even if it's just for a game or two.

I wouldn't sign another goalie. Start Houser with the plan to have Anderson back up. If Anderson feels he can't back up on game day use the EBUG!

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Have Cozens dress as goalie. That way we don't have to wonder why he won't shoot in good scoring position for at least that game.
It could work. No one expected Tage to be so good as a center, so maybe Cozens could be good as a goalie. I'm actually thinking Tage's giraffe body might be better suited to goalie than Cozens, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad