Confirmed with Link: Dell to have telephone hearing with DOPS (3 games)

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He 100% lowered his shoulder and leaned into it though. If he’d just stood stock still no one would care because Batherson would have turned past him just fine, but Dell does the cheap unexpected thing in throwing his shoulder out 6 inches and that’s enough contact to send Batherson flying. Batherson has every right to pursue to D-man, Dell has a right to stand still if he wants, he just can’t lean like he did.
Watching that angle actually changes my tune a bit. Ya, Dell doesn't have to throw that arm out but if Dell stops, Batherson is running into him or Is coming super close and may clip him. Again, this play happens so much in a game amongst skaters that this is the result of not calling it on the skaters. It sucks he was hurt and is missing the all star game but all of that should be irrelevant when factoring in the punishment. A fine would have sufficed and a game would send a message. 3 games is excessive and shows massive inconsistencies in the DOPS and that the ruling was very subjective.

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
Which side is glove side for the sun? Wasn't sure if it was a righty or lefty? If the sun plays goalie, can it fill in for Dell as he's drifting into another universe? I think its size will come in handy in front of the net. Good luck trying to run our goalie when that happens!

Sorry. Just.......sorry.
It would be nice to have a hot goaltender for once.

Reactions: Digable5

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
The insanity defense: “I don’t belong in the NHL and I play for the Buffalo Sabres”.
Maybe that’s why GMKA did it. If he ever gets accused of a crime his Defense will be insanity, with Dell’s hiring as evidence.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Probably the best body check from a Sabre in 10 years. Too bad he fell awkwardly into the boards.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Now that that’s decided can we all agree the Sens announcer is really annoying? Is he their normal guy?

Actually one of the best crews. TSN #1 crew.
Good Miller PBP and Mike Johnson doing colour.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Would have been a clean "standing your ground and bracing" collision if Dell didn't extend the elbow/arm. But he did, so it was dirty.

I thought the play against Nashville was good. The Nashville player was about to blow Dell up, Dell saw it coming and reversed the hit. Only crime there was Dell forgot to touch the puck first.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Would have been a clean "standing your ground and bracing" collision if Dell didn't extend the elbow/arm. But he did, so it was dirty.

I thought the play against Nashville was good. The Nashville player was about to blow Dell up, Dell saw it coming and reversed the hit. Only crime there was Dell forgot to touch the puck first.

Probably because the Buffalo defenseman had the puck, not Batherson or Dell. He did the same thing to Stone as well.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

It's also very different because Dell is a goalie. This isn't the usual rampant interference the league allows to slow up forecheckers when one defenseman is trying to give his partner time. That's someone in the flow of the game who can take or give a hit, and also someone who Batherson would expect to maybe do that. Dell doing it is an ambush tactic in a dangerous area of the ice. He then also follows through with his forearm. It was not right.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Probably because the Buffalo defenseman had the puck, not Batherson or Dell. He did the same thing to Stone as well.
It's also very different because Dell is a goalie. This isn't the usual rampant interference the league allows to slow up forecheckers when one defenseman is trying to give his partner time. That's someone in the flow of the game who can take or give a hit, and also someone who Batherson would expect to maybe do that. Dell doing it is an ambush tactic in a dangerous area of the ice. He then also follows through with his forearm. It was not right.
Dell reaching with the forearm is crossing the dirty line. No argument from me there.

I'm just tired of opposing players skating through our goalies no matter how light the contact. It's been 11 years since Lucic ran Miller and this franchise is still broken. Refreshing to see a Buffalo goalie stand his ground, even if I'd prefer he didn't cross the dirty line. My previous point was that Dell could have stood his ground and not been dirty IF he hadn't reached.

If Batherson doesn't twist his ankle/knee going into the boards no one even remembers this play happened. Refs didn't even think it was a penalty. DOPs punishing the outcome, not the play.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Dell reaching with the forearm is crossing the dirty line. No argument from me there.

I'm just tired of opposing players skating through our goalies no matter how light the contact. It's been 11 years since Lucic ran Miller and this franchise is still broken. Refreshing to see a Buffalo goalie stand his ground, even if I'd prefer he didn't cross the dirty line. My previous point was that Dell could have stood his ground and not been dirty IF he hadn't reached.

If Batherson doesn't twist his ankle/knee going into the boards no one even remembers this play happened. Refs didn't even think it was a penalty. DOPs punishing the outcome, not the play.
Since when is an NHL ref's judgment of a play in the moment a good barometer of whether it deserves punishment or not? Most of us complain nonstop about penalties that should have been called when the other team is at fault, but suddenly when it's our team, we trust the refs? If Batherson hadn't gotten hurt and Dell was never punished as a result, that would have been pure luck. The fact that the player was injured wasn't some fluke. It was to be expected given that it was a dirty play. It deserves a suspension. Everyone here would have been calling for one if it had been the Sens goalie doing this to Cozens or Krebs.

I'm just as fond of complaining about the DOPS as anyone else, but they got this one right.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Since when is an NHL ref's judgment of a play in the moment a good barometer of whether it deserves punishment or not? Most of us complain nonstop about penalties that should have been called when the other team is at fault, but suddenly when it's our team, we trust the refs? If Batherson hadn't gotten hurt and Dell was never punished as a result, that would have been pure luck. The fact that the player was injured wasn't some fluke. It was to be expected given that it was a dirty play. It deserves a suspension. Everyone here would have been calling for one if it had been the Sens goalie doing this to Cozens or Krebs.

I'm just as fond of complaining about the DOPS as anyone else, but they got this one right.
Nothing bad happened when Dell did this to Stone. It can be reasonably assumed Dell was expecting the same outcome here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This does open the door to Bjork popping on the equipment and serving a useful purpose on the roster this weekend.

Bj%C3%B6rk-Biography-Husband-Son-Daughter-Wiki-Net-Worth-Quick-Facts-1200x900.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad