Confirmed with Link: Del Zotto waived

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I guess the bright spot is we already know it will be money in for money out...And we will have about 8.5 coming to the team in a few years lol

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I really don't see this as that big of a deal. MDZ wasn't the best fit here so I assume he's waived to see if anyone else will pick him up and play him while taking the contract off their hands. The guy wants to play, not coach JBD into taking his job.

Not defending Dorion to be clear. MDZ, Dadonov and Murray were three of the strangest signings I've seen in a while. None of them fit here.

Keeping Mete in the organization is another head scratcher. Free wallet was free for a reason. Should have left it on the ground, it was empty.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
It can get worse. The heir apparent to be GM here is a guy who is totally unqualified to be working in an NHL front office.

The thing about Dorion is... he deserved the opportunity he got. People forget that sometimes. He worked his way up the ladder from amateur scout to director of amateur scouting to director of player personnel to AGM and then finally GM. It hasn't worked out, but there was reason to think it might have.

I have a hard time seeing Pierre McGuire as a better option. He has no relevant experience - he's spent the 25 years as a self-promoter in the media. He's a hanger-on/wannabe.

McGuire would definitely step in and make some befuddling, galaxy brain trade in his first few weeks on the job that would tank team chemistry. Something like trading Chabot.

I have very little faith in us hiring a quality replacement for Dorion externally. Best case scenario is promoting the Mann brothers and giving them a shot. They know the players in our system, and have both proven themselves in their roles so far.

I'm just terrified that we'll fire Dorion/McGuire and hire someone like Chiarelli. Literal nightmare scenario.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
TSN Mornings today mentioned that it was actually Pierre McGuire that pushed for this and also the Gaudette waiver pick up.

Wonder if Dorion is leaking this to the media that way the heat is off him a bit.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
TSN Mornings today mentioned that it was actually Pierre McGuire that pushed for this and also the Gaudette waiver pick up.

Wonder if Dorion is leaking this to the media that way the heat is off him a bit.

I get that they should try to let the guy resume his career somewhere,but why even say it was McGuire???Just seems kinda punkish

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

You’d have to be a pretty terrible GM to try to point fingers at an underling for a waiver pickup.

Reactions: lancepitlick

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I'll be honest I'm surprised melnyk isn't in the news for murdering dorion

Seriously, this is the same guy that took Heatley to court over $4M. Melnyk and his money are not easily parted without some drama.

Dorion is terrible at his job - well known for over 3 years now. He needed to be fired a long time ago. Only clueless fans still think he's a good GM.

And people with the "we can't do better than this" mentality couldn't be more wrong. We can do better than this and not only that, we NEED to.

Totally agree, you know where overpaying is not going to crush you financially? If you do it for scouts and executives on 5 and 6 figure salaries. Sens need to stop wasting money on dumb signings and spend money on intelligent people that will not make or at least make fewer dumb signings.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Seriously, this is the same guy that took Heatley to court over $4M. Melnyk and his money are not easily parted without some drama.

Totally agree, you know where overpaying is not going to crush you financially? If you do it for scouts and executives on 5 and 6 figure salaries. Sens need to stop wasting money on dumb signings and spend money on intelligent people that will not make or at least make fewer dumb signings.
Or a good coach ,to make the most of what he has to work with....

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

4V3BQVi.png

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It can get worse. The heir apparent to be GM here is a guy who is totally unqualified to be working in an NHL front office.

The thing about Dorion is... he deserved the opportunity he got. People forget that sometimes. He worked his way up the ladder from amateur scout to director of amateur scouting to director of player personnel to AGM and then finally GM. It hasn't worked out, but there was reason to think it might have.

I have a hard time seeing Pierre McGuire as a better option. He has no relevant experience - he's spent the 25 years as a self-promoter in the media. He's a hanger-on/wannabe.
I see where you're coming from, and I realize Maguire is not the guy either, but there's still no way I can support Dorion after how I've seen him handle this team. He is too much of a risk going forward.

I was one of the big time early supporters of his hiring, so i've essentially been converted over the years. I agree that I thought he'd earned the opportunity, but I might have given him extra support due to the rumours it was down to him or Randy Lee.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
What a joke. Let's remember that this was our biggest free agent signing this offseason. Also that he was kept in the opening day lineup at the expense of Brannstrom who was, in camp and last year, clearly the better player.

Worst management I've ever witnessed.

And why the shit did they give a two year term???? Stranger than fiction.

Some would tell you that 2 years is what it took to lure him to Ottawa, which is both probably right and incredibly sad lol.

Him being in the lineup over Brannstrom though, that's just DJ being DJ.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What a joke. Let's remember that this was our biggest free agent signing this offseason. Also that he was kept in the opening day lineup at the expense of Brannstrom who was, in camp and last year, clearly the better player.

Worst management I've ever witnessed.

And why the shit did they give a two year term???? Stranger than fiction.

And why extend Dorion for another 2 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad