Confirmed with Link: Del Zotto waived

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If you're spending purely to make the floor, maybe don't make it a multi year contract at least? Like 4 years in Murray's case.

They'd have been better off offering some ridiculous overpayment 1 year deal at like 12 mil to someone that couldn't say no.

Why is it so acceptable to dump cash and term on bad players and turn around basically saying, "well what else could the guy have possibly done?"

Reactions: Loach

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Luckily Gene, is okay waiving people this year.
It just means that is 8.5 million that the sens won't get approved to use by Melnyk

The real losers here are the players and fans. We saw Dadanov money be cleared out and be used on Tkachuk instead of actually adding any additional top 6 forward

Reactions: topshelf15

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Would still be 2 million over without MDZ and Murray.

That's the sad part. That's 29 million dollars that could have been used to make the team better, that is currently on waivers or in the AHl.
Would’ve been short to start the season, especially with Brady not signed by opening night of the league, (Brady signed on day 3).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It just means that is 8.5 million that the sens won't get approved to use by Melnyk

The real losers here are the players and fans. We saw Dadanov money be cleared out and be used on Tkachuk instead of actually adding any additional top 6 forward

Well 2 million really, no one was/is taking that contract. Murray deals was last year, even though never worked out.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Without meaning to sound rude or anything here, that's loser talk. Maybe it doesn't get better, but it can't get worse right? Just throw some other shit at the wall and see if it sticks.

It can get worse. The heir apparent to be GM here is a guy who is totally unqualified to be working in an NHL front office.

The thing about Dorion is... he deserved the opportunity he got. People forget that sometimes. He worked his way up the ladder from amateur scout to director of amateur scouting to director of player personnel to AGM and then finally GM. It hasn't worked out, but there was reason to think it might have.

I have a hard time seeing Pierre McGuire as a better option. He has no relevant experience - he's spent the last 25 years as a self-promoter in the media. He's a hanger-on/wannabe.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Well 2 million really, no one was/is taking that contract. Murray deals was last year, even though never worked out.
Sorry i mean even if we bury the contracts i doubt Melnyk is letting us spend an additional 8.5mill on the roster. It just means we won't be able to go big game hunter this offseason I assume

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If you're spending purely to make the floor, maybe don't make it a multi year contract at least? Like 4 years in Murray's case.

They'd have been better off offering some ridiculous overpayment 1 year deal at like 12 mil to someone that couldn't say no.

Why is it so acceptable to dump cash and term on bad players and turn around basically saying, "well what else could the guy have possibly done?"

I mean, we sorta did that with Hainsey's 1 x $3.5m deal, which was definitely an overpayment.

The thing is, nobody has any incentive to sign here for 1 year, especially defensemen. Their stats will suffer greatly, and they'll be out of a job after the year is up, and nobody will want them because of their perceived poor performance on a rebuilding team. Hainsey did it likely because he knew it was going to be his last year before retiring, and probably as a favor for DJ Smith. Otherwise, players absolutely want more than a year. That's probably why we had to trade for our hole fillers last year (Gudbranson, Brown, Coburn, etc.) who were on expiring contracts. The story is a bit different for forwards, since they can play in higher roles and pad their stats (see: Ennis).

Besides Murray and Dadonov, all our contracts on hole filler vets have been 1 or 2 years. Dadonov still had enough value to land us a 3rd rounder and Holden (who has been good for us).

Reactions: Jorge Garcia

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thing everyone except PD saw this happening....We had absolutely no use for this guy,and to tie up 2 mil in cap for 2 seasons just makes it worse

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't decide as to being pleased that my feeling of absolute certainty regarding this acquisition was borne out in practice, or being depressed that our team literally pulled a Groundhog Day and tanked the beginning of the season by messing with the defence again for no reason, or being actually impressed the organization waived Del Zotto because it just proves in abject humiliating fashion how utterly asinine this contract was to begin with on the heels of the debacle that was the Murray waiving process.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dorion is terrible at his job - well known for over 3 years now. He needed to be fired a long time ago. Only clueless fans still think he's a good GM.

And people with the "we can't do better than this" mentality couldn't be more wrong. We can do better than this and not only that, we NEED to.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'm of the opinion that we should move on from Dorion but I think signing Del Zotto was far from his worst move. Signing a 31 year old defenseman with over 700 NHL games shouldn't have worked out as badly as it has. Add in the fact that Del Zotto was a plus player on a horrible team just last year and I can't be too critical of Dorion in this case. Sometimes things just don't work out.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
With guys like Mete,Sanford,Murray,Del Zotto etc... That is way over 10 mil in just garbage,HOW ABOUT WE GET A REAL PLAYER FOR 7 MIL,and then use the change to add depth

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
With guys like Mete,Sanford,Murray,Del Zotto etc... That is way over 10 mil in just garbage,HOW ABOUT WE GET A REAL PLAYER FOR 7 MIL,and then use the change to add depth

We are getting a player for ~7 mil next season. Josh Norris. Then the season after that, Stutzle.

Who else were we going to sign for 7 mil for only 1 or 2 seasons as a placeholder? No star player wants to sign here for only 1 or 2 years.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm of the opinion that we should move on from Dorion but I think signing Del Zotto was far from his worst move. Signing a 31 year old defenseman with over 700 NHL games shouldn't have worked out as badly as it has. Add in the fact that Del Zotto was a plus player on a horrible team just last year and I can't be too critical of Dorion in this case. Sometimes things just don't work out.

"Sometimes things just don't work out" has to be Dorion's new slogan and the understatement of the year.

Things don't work out when you make bad decisions.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We are getting a player for ~7 mil next season. Josh Norris. Then the season after that, Stutzle.

Who else were we going to sign for 7 mil for only 1 or 2 seasons as a placeholder? No star player wants to sign here for only 1 or 2 years.
I understand,but why bother with this???It just wastes money,and makes the team worse

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Whether or not you think DZ is a bad player, he is clearly a bad fit for this team and for DJ Smith, and that was readily apparent right from the beginning.

You knew it would end badly when they announced the plan to make a shut down pair with MDZ and Zaitsev. The guy has never been a shut down defenseman, even in his prime. How could that deployment be successful?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad