Dejan Nails It (AKA You're Not Alone TenderRip)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It sounds like you are making this up. He has played with just as much ass in his career as Sid and generally performed very well. Like, 2 time Art Ross, MVP, and Conne Smythe winner well.

He sounds like Ray Shero. "Why can't we get these two generational talents going at the same time when I have two legit top 6 wingers on this team?"

It's pretty crazy our 5 vs 5 numbers are as good as they are. B/c we really don't look like a dominant ES team. When Beau's back and a trade is made, we should **** on the league.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I know you said that and I wasn't trying to call you out. I just was curious if anyone can articulate what Geno needs to do better to produce more. I really don't see it happening outside of an upgrade to his line.

I think one thing Geno could probably do more of is take matters into his own hands. He's still acting like he has Neal, and to a lesser extent Jokinen, on his line by passing it too much. Be more assertive and do **** yourself. Create your own shots. It might not work out all the time, and some of the shots may be low percentage opportunities, but anything is better than giving the puck to Comeau and Dupuis right now. Let those 2 drive the net and search for garbage which is what they are good at anyway.

By all means I'm not putting the blame on Geno's shoulders entirely, but right now this team needs the Geno that finished 1st in the league in SOG and won an Art Ross because of it. At least in some meaningful measure.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
On balance, yes. Last 3 he's been awful.

But more concerning than that is the visible lack of chemistry he's shown with Malkin. It's worth giving a pair ten or so to feel each other out, but that's passed and it's not going that direction. Second line's possession and production is actually dropping.

Whether Dupuis is "a third liner" or "a second liner" is, and always was, the wrong question.

The right question is "will goal differential and zone time for his line be higher with someone else in his position?" In years past, with Sid, with what we had available to us or what was available at the deadline (Kesler being the SOLE exception), the answer to that question was a resounding "no" (have to sort to line stats).

This year, with Geno, it's more up in the air. They're at 52 CF% together and dropping (2 weeks ago, it was ~60%). I'm not convinced there's a player on the roster who can do better than that, but I also don't know that the second lines differentials don't improve with Spaling, for example. The results are not currently so great that it isn't worth trying.

The bolded is probably a fair point. There may be nobody to work a give and go with, but what there is is more space high in the slot, most of the time, as those two are hovering below the dots occupying people. You would think a player like Malkin would be able to take advantage of that.

Malkin is still clearly learning and getting used to the system. You can see him forcing himself to go the whole way back and then picking up speed. Sid is now doing it automatically, Geno is clearly having trouble with it.

I think he's just thinking too much, and that's never been what his game is about. He's not a cerebral player, though he is highly skilled.

For what it's worth, I do expect BB to get a shot with Geno when he comes back, or else MJ would have given Geno Spaling or Downie by now. I believe MJ likes the current chemistry of that 3rd line, and is just waiting out the 2nd line until BB comes back.

Just because BB is a good long term fit with Sutter, I am hoping MJ sees that Geno needs a changeup. Though Spaling would be a much better fit with him than Dupuis, because how could he not?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kulemin has scored 1 goal this season and he's making 4.2 million per year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think one thing Geno could probably do more of is take matters into his own hands. He's still acting like he has Neal, and to a lesser extent Jokinen, on his line by passing it too much. Be more assertive and do **** yourself. Create your own shots. It might not work out all the time, and some of the shots may be low percentage opportunities, but anything is better than giving the puck to Comeau and Dupuis right now. Let those 2 drive the net and search for garbage which is what they are good at anyway.

By all means I'm not putting the blame on Geno's shoulders entirely, but right now this team needs the Geno that finished 1st in the league in SOG and won an Art Ross because of it. At least in some meaningful measure.

I still think bringing up Megna and putting him with Geno is a good idea.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I still think bringing up Megna and putting him with Geno is a good idea.

It could be worth a shot. His goal scoring has picked up in the AHL, and I've always liked his speed and nose for the net. He's effective despite his no-frills skill. I like him as a puck getter.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd only bring up Megna if we're willing to send down Sill AND sit Adams. Assuming we bring up Bennett that is.

KCH
Megna-Geno-Bennett (sadly they are both really RW)
Spaling-Sutter-Downie (3A)
Dupuis-Goc-Comeau (3B)
Adams

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's not going to happen but I love Megs so I'm cool with it. It could be our version of the King's 70's line. A poor man's version, but I think it could get Geno going. Tell Megs to use his speed to drive his ass right to the net. Bennett and Malkin can play catch all day long. It would be fun to watch at least.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Geno seems to get his mojo when playing with Megna. Why that is, I'm not real sure.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd only bring up Megna if we're willing to send down Sill AND sit Adams. Assuming we bring up Bennett that is.

KCH
Megna-Geno-Bennett (sadly they are both really RW)
Spaling-Sutter-Downie (3A)
Dupuis-Goc-Comeau (3B)
Adams

Megna is a guy I think would benefit from playing his off wing, much like Neal did.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Geno seems to get his mojo when playing with Megna. Why that is, I'm not real sure.

Megna opens cans of tryhard when he plays. Malkin sees how delicious they look and asks for a sip. Megna's speed puts pressure on defenders to make mistakes and I think Malkin is the perfect player to capitalize on them.

It's probably an experiment that works well for 5 games, but I can see Megna's talent deficiencies catching up to him as the NHL adrenaline wears off. Duppers is still well above Megna's talent level and has a much better shot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Megna opens cans of tryhard when he plays. Malkin sees how delicious they look and asks for a sip. Megna's speed puts pressure on defenders to make mistakes and I think Malkin is the perfect player to capitalize on them.

It's probably an experiment that works well for 5 games, but I can see Megna's talent deficiencies catching up to him as the NHL adrenaline wears off. Duppers is still well above Megna's talent level and has a much better shot.

I think you are underselling Meg's talent a bit, but I agree with your overall analysis. While Duper's shot is better, he isn't like a Neal who trails the play and opens up for shots to take advantage of Geno's playmaking. Megs may not have Duper's shot, but he drives the net more which should open up more space for Geno and Bennett. I'd like to see it tried, but really I just want to see Bennett with Geno and Duper not.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I remember those two games he got to play with Bennett on the other wing with Neal before he (Malkin) got hurt against Toronto. The other game was against Philly, and it's the one time I've really seen him dictate against that incarnation of the Flyers because he finally had someone to get him the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad