News Article: DEJAN KOVACEVIC: Did you like this year? Good, no changes this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Letang, Maatta, Ehrhoff and Pouliot are our best 4 puck movers. This team with those guys behind them is a completely different team.

Maatta-Letang
Ehrhoff-Martin
Pouliot-Cole
Chorney

Next year, the 2nd pairing is what worries me. Mostly because I can absolutely see Scuds-Lovejoy being our 2nd pairing next year, and it makes me want to cry. I would absolutely prefer Cole, Pouliot, Harrington and Dumoulin filling out the defense than having Scuds and Lovejoy on the 2nd pairing. I just don't see it as even a possibility that both will be gone. I honestly don't expect either to go.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I really wanted us to have a chance at Methot this summer. He would be the perfect fit to play in a 2nd pairing role with Pouliot. Highly doubt Sens have any desire to move him since he babysits EK perfectly but he is the exact stay at home/physical type we need

Maatta-Letang
Methot-Pouliot
Cole-Lovejoy

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And when Letang goes down for 15-20 games next year, we'll have one top 4 D again. We need at least one legit top 4 addition to insulate the 74 3rd pairing D we have. Dumo and Pouliot are ready for consistent 3rd pairing duty and Lovejoy and Cole top out at that. I mean, unless we commit to making this a 2-3 year process.

Then trade Letang. If you don't believe your number 1 dman can stay healthy for more than 60 games a year, then what's the point?

Additionally, if you want the young kids to play you either have to trade or buy out all 3rd pairing veterans or let one of them work out the kinks on the 2nd pairing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Next year, the Pens need an entire second pairing. Ideally speaking, that is. Otherwise they'll have guys like Scuderi and Lovejoy logging those second pairing minutes.

Maatta - Letang
X - Cole?
Pouliot - Lovejoy

Scuderi needs to be gone, period. There's simply no spot for him.

Cole has been a pleasant surprise, but I'm not sure I trust him to anchor a second pairing. Maybe if he's the complimentary piece to a more dominant defenseman, that could be a decent 2nd pairing.

Otherwise, after Maatta and Letang, this team has a bunch of bottom pairing guys filling out their top four.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Next year, the Pens need an entire second pairing. Ideally speaking, that is. Otherwise they'll have guys like Scuderi and Lovejoy logging those second pairing minutes.

Maatta - Letang
X - Cole?
Pouliot - Lovejoy

Scuderi needs to be gone, period. There's simply no spot for him.

Cole has been a pleasant surprise, but I'm not sure I trust him to anchor a second pairing. Maybe if he's the complimentary piece to a more dominant defenseman, that could be a decent 2nd pairing.

Otherwise, after Maatta and Letang, this team has a bunch of bottom pairing guys filling out their top four.

If you give Dumo the year to find his game he'll be fine in a top four role.

ObsessedCreative*

Pouliot was fine this year. People are over exaggerating how he looked in his own zone. He may not be strong defensively, but there are plenty of NHLers who look way less poised in their own zone. Lovejoy being one of them.

DP51 is much again like in typical Pens fan fashion (like many young players before him) being massively over-rated as a player...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We hope...

He won't have to get much better to be a major upgrade over what they have in the top four currently.

Maybe he will learn to tie up sticks in front, then he will already be a step above their "top pair" who were on the ice for Hayes OT winner.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
are we not happy with Pouliot? I mean, he wasn't even supposed to be in the NHL this season without all the injuries. He's exactly what we thought he was at this point. No reason to think he's done getting better. Dumoulin is looking solid too.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Thats like being the "smartest" kid in special-ed. Not exactly a good thing...

Or competent, which is all he has to be to eclipse one of the worst collection of top four bluelines the playoffs has seen in a decade, maybe longer.

I'll easily take:

Maatta - Letang
DP - Vinny Bagahdounts

Over

Martin - Lovejoy
Scuds - Whatever

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
I'm not too worried about the D if Letang and Maatta can stay healthy. A lot more worried about the top-6 forwards + Sutter. Both Sid and Geno needs to better next year in terms of production. Hopefully that can be solved by moving Kunitz, and somehow get Perron to play well again / get healthy.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
We have said that about pretty much EVERY penguin drafted since like 1999 and all but just about Letan and Maatta have busted (not counting the sure things (sid, geno etc.)...

DP needs some polishing and refinement sure but he's also got things going for him that you can't teach imho.

Anyway, too early to tell for such a young D-Man with not nearly enough NHL experience.

ObsessedCreative*

Or competent, which is all he has to be to eclipse one of the worst collection of top four bluelines the playoffs has seen in a decade, maybe longer.

I'll easily take:

Maatta - Letang
DP - Vinny Bagahdounts

Over

Martin - Lovejoy
Scuds - Whatever

I know, its just sad we always have to settle for the lowest common denominator with this organization.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I have no issue whatsoever with Pouliot, even though he's the teacher's pet and I despise the teacher.

I don't believe we currently employ the right D partner for Pouliot moving forward, though. So that needs to be addressed this off-season.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
are we not happy with Pouliot? I mean, he wasn't even supposed to be in the NHL this season without all the injuries. He's exactly what we thought he was at this point. No reason to think he's done getting better. Dumoulin is looking solid too.

I'm not unhappy with Pouliot. It frustrates me that the one time I want the Penguins to take their time with a prospect they force feed him minutes and chances. Pouliot still has room to improve his defensive play at the American League level.

Dumoulin and Harrington are at the stage where that can't get much better in the AHL. They would benefit from the sort of opportunity Pouliot got. Dumo looked rough around the edges in games 1 and 2. By games 3 and 4 he was more comfortable with the pace.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm not unhappy with Pouliot. It frustrates me that the one time I want the Penguins to take their time with a prospect they force feed him minutes and chances. Pouliot still has room to improve his defensive play at the American League level.

Dumoulin and Harrington are at the stage where that can't get much better in the AHL. They would benefit from the sort of opportunity Pouliot got. Dumo looked rough around the edges in games 1 and 2. By games 3 and 4 he was more comfortable with the pace.

The problem is we NEED Pouliot's OFFENSE. If we had the right winger situation, the proper amount of secondary scoring, and if guys like Letang and Maatta were around, then Pouliot would not likely have played a minute in the NHL this season. And if we had a real power play, too.

But the sad truth is we needed Pouliot offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille