News Article: DEJAN KOVACEVIC: Did you like this year? Good, no changes this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
APRIL 23, 2015
Column: Colossal change needed? Be serious

BY DEJAN KOVACEVIC

Jim Rutherford isn’t getting fired. Nor is he quitting, barring something unforeseen.

I’ve been told that definitively, right from the Penguins’ brass.

Mike Johnston isn’t getting fired, either.

Heard that tonight.

Neither Sidney Crosby nor Evgeni Malkin is going anywhere.

That comes from the very, very top.

You know, when it comes to the Penguins, maybe the most simultaneously star-laded and starcrossed franchise in professional sports, the solutions that tend to get suggested for any problem, large or small, are gargantuan. And that’s probably not a coincidence. For years, the public and press — I’m no exception — would coo with every one of Ray Shero’s larger-than-life trades, and he’d seldom disappoint, at least if measured by headline font size. The answers would come in the form of Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, so many others. It was all big, big, big.

Well, larger-than-life solutions aren’t coming. They won’t happen this offseason.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/04/23/column-time-for-colossal-change-please/

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
From the article:

Well, larger-than-life solutions aren’t coming. They won’t happen this offseason.

And if you ask me, that’s ideal. Because what this team needs, more than anything, is to get younger, faster, fresher and more systematically inclined, not necessarily in that order.

You mean guys like Despres?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Dejan is practically a PR vehicle for Penguins corporate / Morehouse

Independent and hard hitting objective analysis? Yeah right

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This thread seems to be a magnet for ****.

Fascinating.

Actually the **** that you are referring to is straight out of DK's mouth.

Kovacevic wrote, "They don't trust Despres off the ice and, hence, lost trust on it", "And when that inconsistency is something they believe is rooted in a general lack of applying one’s self in life, that’s when it becomes too much to take", and "And no, I will not get specific on this. Sorry. Other than to say the Penguins got sick and tired of betting on his future."

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Actually the **** that you are referring to is straight out of DK's mouth.

Kovacevic wrote, "They don't trust Despres off the ice and, hence, lost trust on it", "And when that inconsistency is something they believe is rooted in a general lack of applying one’s self in life, that’s when it becomes too much to take", and "And no, I will not get specific on this. Sorry. Other than to say the Penguins got sick and tired of betting on his future."

Nice, you're basically saying this **** nullifies yours.

Awesome.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
These writers are starting to drive me mad just when I thought I was getting used to all the spin.

Okay so you don't need to make big changes, just get younger and faster. Okay how the hell do you accomplish that with this team's salary cap, at least to the point of it making an impact? Jesus Christ you've gotta be a complete idiot to say something like that. Our situation is such that anything we add will mean a deficiency somewhere else in the lineup. The end.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
These writers are starting to drive me mad just when I thought I was getting used to all the spin.

Okay so you don't need to make big changes, just get younger and faster. Okay how the hell do you accomplish that with this team's salary cap, at least to the point of it making an impact? Jesus Christ you've gotta be complete idiot to say something like that. Our situation is such that anything we add will mean a deficiency somewhere else in the lineup. The end.

I had a long diatribe ready here, but you covered everything for me UB.

:)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well I missed, as I stated above, that this article had been quoted already in the media idiocy thread. And asked for a deletion or merger.

However on reflection, maybe it does deserve a thread of it's own. If the highest levels of management truly has said no changes are coming, that is a discussion worth having. Because the only ones who could definitively say such a thing are Mario/Burkle. I mean 'no JR is not getting fired'. Who else can make that statement? JR?

And the worst fears we have expressed here about the golfing buddies theory are true. Kinda depressing to think of the future given that.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
You know? I'm actually fine with this. Everyone on here said over the season that this team was never going to be fixed in one season. So now one season has gone, things aren't fixed, and everyone wants JR/MJ's heads. With Martin, Ehrhoff, and at least one of Scuderi/Kunitz/Sutter somehow gotten rid of, that's like 12 million in cap space that can be used to help fix this team.

If JR, who has now had a season to really analyze MJ as a coach, can use this summer to give MJ players that will fit into his system, along with Letang and Maatta coming back, this could be a contender (or at least closer to one than it is now) next year.

I really think firing these guys just puts the current mini-rebuild/retool/whatever were calling it, another year behind schedule.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I honestly think we have the pieces in place to be a Cup contending team. We just need to burn the chaff first. That's why this summer will be so crucial. If they don't make the correct and hard decisions, they will **** it all up.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I honestly think we have the pieces in place to be a Cup contending team. We just need to burn the chaff first. That's why this summer will be so crucial. If they don't make the correct and hard decisions, they will **** it all up.

And try not to go into the playoffs missing our #1 and #2 d-men.

khaoskennedy

Aug 6, 2010
Western, PA
I don't get why people are mad about this article.
Did you really expect they'd fire everyone and blow up the team? no of course not

I'm still very skeptical that management makes the correct moves this offseason, but if they do then maybe I'll be hopeful for next year.

But if Management:
lets the old guys walk, Martin, Ehrhoff, Adams.
Buy out scuds
maybe trade kunitz if they can, but even if they cant the other moves will allow us some space to improve the team and not be the oldest team in the league.

roll with Maatta, Letang, Cole, Lovejoy, Pouliot, Dumo and maybe bring in a cheap 6/7 (preferably physcial)

try to sign some of the youngish wingers available, for example belesky, frolik, possibly stewart, maybe resign Lappy & Comeau, possibly Winnik.

hopefully some young guys like Sunqvist, Farnham, Wilson, Rust could possibly make the team next year, bring some youth and speed.

Again I'm not praising management, just saying that we dont need to blow up the team to get younger

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Are you ****ing kidding me? Here's how it's going to go next year.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis will be back together. It'll be tried at first because hey, it's the Penguins, and you know what'll happen? They'll pick up a boatload of points because that's what happens in the regular season, and all we'll hear is "See, best line in hockey. Last year is different with a healthy Dupuis you stupids!" Then the playoffs will come around again.

You know what else will happen? This team will never, EVER admit a mistake, so Lovejoy will be a mainstay. They will NOT buy out Scuderi, because it'll look bad. So there's youre righty/lefty bottom pairing.

Remember, they will be skittish about the Maatta and Letang injuries and will want to keep at least ONE veteran around. Don't kid yourself.

And yes, the same braintrust that thought trading Despres for Lovejoy was a stroke of brilliance will still be running the show. Round and round we go.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis will be back together. It'll be tried at first because hey, it's the Penguins, and you know what'll happen? They'll pick up a boatload of points because that's what happens in the regular season, and all we'll hear is "See, best line in hockey. Last year is different with a healthy Dupuis you stupids!" Then the playoffs will come around again.

You know what else will happen? This team will never, EVER admit a mistake, so Lovejoy will be a mainstay. They will NOT buy out Scuderi, because it'll look bad. So there's youre righty/lefty bottom pairing.

Remember, they will be skittish about the Maatta and Letang injuries and will want to keep at least ONE veteran around. Don't kid yourself.

And yes, the same braintrust that thought trading Despres for Lovejoy was a stroke of brilliance will still be running the show. Round and round we go.
Yep. And Sutter extension will happen. Adams promo to AGM as well.

khaoskennedy

Aug 6, 2010
Western, PA

Do we even know if Dupuis will be healthy?

and for the record if they do NOT buy out Scuderi, and sign yet another defenseman instead of a winger, then ya ill be beyond frustrated with this team(so pretty much where I'm at right now)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
And try not to go into the playoffs missing our #1 and #2 d-men.

I'd be one of the last people to make excuses for this organization, but after seeing this team live last night, it's impressive they made this a series.

Despressing is the only word I can come up with after witnessing that defense try and break the puck out. So many times they have obvious outlets available, and they instead just ring it around the boards to a Ranger forward. They're at center ice practically when they should be pinching to keep pucks in when we have some pressure in the offensive zone.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
It won't surprise me one bit to see them not change anything. The stubbornness of this franchise is comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad