Define Every NHL Team's Market

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
A good number of my fellow Cheeseheads jumped onto the Blackhawk bandwagon when they were good.

Prior to that I’ve seen quite a few Preds fans here (Milwaukee Admirals being their farm team).

I’ve been a diehard Red Wings fan since’84...A bunch of guys I played with years ago also became fans of Detroit as well (cuz screw Chicago - FIBS).

I have not seen that in my 40 years in Wisconsin. The only 2 people who I have known that are Chicago fans both moved to the Milwaukee area from Chicagoland. (There might be more Wolves fans here than Hawks fans!)

I would rather die than follow the Hawks. If Nashville folded, I will go back to the Bruins like it was the 1970s again.

The Hawks' games were not shown here on Fox Sports, we get the Wild instead. That may be even worse!

There are a handful of Admirals/Preds fans on here besides me. There are more who don't post on HF.

Reactions: b in vancouver

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Just reinforcing most of what has been said about the Wisconsin hockey market:

Southern Wisconsin is, without a doubt, Hawks territory. Northern Wisconsin is Wild/Red Wings, with Red Wings becoming more predominate the closer you get to the UP.

Western Wisconsin is Wild.

If you go purely by percentage, I'd say that Wisconsin is:
Blackhawks: 60%
Wild: 30%
Red Wings: 10%

I call BS!

The fact that ZERO percent is allotted to Nashville above is proof that your opinion is worthless!

The Admirals average 5000 to 6000 fans a game. Probably 2000 of those are STH. There has to be 50% or more of those STH who are also Nashville fans, plus at least some (10% ?) of the others. Keeping in mind that the US has about 6% hockey fans, that makes 330,000 hockey fans in the state of Wisconsin. Some just follow the Badgers men's and/or women's teams. That makes a bare minimum of 0.4% Nashville fans that come solely from the Admirals fanbase. There would be some more Badgers fans that gravitate to the Ads and Preds because some of their alumni play or played for one or both of those teams. Kunin, Turris, John Byce, Craig Smith, Ryan Suter and Blake Geoffrion would be a few of them. We get some Badgers hockey jerseys over here in Milwaukee.

I do see a few Blackhawks jerseys at Admirals games. I see 4 or 5 Wolves jerseys at most games versus the Wolves. They outnumber the Hawks jerseys every time. I am friends with a DRW fan who comes to a game or two a season with me and wears his jersey. I don't know any Wild fans around here and don't recall the last time I saw one of their X-mas colored jerseys in Milwaukee. I do see a random Bruins or Pens jersey at games.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I grew up in upstate NY (Capital district) and can't say I knew a single Sabre's fan. It's definitely Rangers territory, followed by Bruins then Habs as you got further north. Add in some Islander fans here in there. Sabre's are more of a Western NY only team aside from their Ontario fans.

Living in Arizona now I'd say it's a Blackhawks market lol

This.

North Country, NY is predominantly Habs, Bruins and Ranger fans. Very, very few Buffalo fans.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Of the Canadian teams, the Habs are best represented in the US...at least among US citizens. Now, if we're talking snowbirds and other Canadians living/visiting the US...lots of Ontario goes south.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I'm curious about Utah - they were definitely Avs territory when I was a professor in SLC (close to two decades ago - holy shit) - however, there are a lot of LDS connections in Vegas and I'd bet that the Golden Knights are working that to the extent feasible.

I Live in SLC.

Mormons and jack mormons into sleddin and lifted trucks =VGK

Outdoorsy Non-Mormons and Skiers who have lived in Utah for more than 10 years =Avalanche

I identify with the latter group

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Saskatchewan is a mismatch of all teams throughout the league. A battleground province so to speak. I bet no one team has more than 15% of the "market". Probably more Hab/Leaf fans than Oilers/Flames/Jets or even Canucks although geography would say otherwise. No Ottawa fans. Many followers of long term popular U.S.-based squads like Boston, Philly, Detroit and Pittsburgh.

My Best-Carey

I know plenty of Ottawa and Van fans in Sask. Though they are far from a majority. Lots of older Islander fans here due to some local connections as well. I know quite a few Avalanche fans as well.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Iowa would be Blackhawks a lot of people in the Dakota's are hawks fans to {probably because of the logo}. North central Wisconsin I would say are hawks to with the Western part of the state Wild fans because it's close to St Paul.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
I call BS!

The fact that ZERO percent is allotted to Nashville above is proof that your opinion is worthless!

The Admirals average 5000 to 6000 fans a game. Probably 2000 of those are STH. There has to be 50% or more of those STH who are also Nashville fans, plus at least some (10% ?) of the others. Keeping in mind that the US has about 6% hockey fans, that makes 330,000 hockey fans in the state of Wisconsin. Some just follow the Badgers men's and/or women's teams. That makes a bare minimum of 0.4% Nashville fans that come solely from the Admirals fanbase. There would be some more Badgers fans that gravitate to the Ads and Preds because some of their alumni play or played for one or both of those teams. Kunin, Turris, John Byce, Craig Smith, Ryan Suter and Blake Geoffrion would be a few of them. We get some Badgers hockey jerseys over here in Milwaukee.

I do see a few Blackhawks jerseys at Admirals games. I see 4 or 5 Wolves jerseys at most games versus the Wolves. They outnumber the Hawks jerseys every time. I am friends with a DRW fan who comes to a game or two a season with me and wears his jersey. I don't know any Wild fans around here and don't recall the last time I saw one of their X-mas colored jerseys in Milwaukee. I do see a random Bruins or Pens jersey at games.

So my opinion is worthless because I omitted .4% of a fanbase?

My bad. Next time I will account for the tiny percentage of fans that may exist for each NHL team so as not to offend you.

And if you really think that Southern Wisconsin isn't Blackhawks territory, I have no idea what to tell you. The fact you are basing it off jerseys at Ads games is hilarious. That is Donald Trump "I couldn't have lost because I had more people at my rallies" level delusion.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I live in Nova Scotia and the breakdown goes somewhat like this...

1. Leafs (amongst the English speaking and Ontarian come from away-ers)
2. Canadiens (Acadians)
3. Bruins (the closest NHL team... plus there is a long friendly history between Halifax and Boston)
4. Penguins (Sidney Crosby)
5. Oilers/Flames (people who went out to Fort Mac)
6. Avalanche (Nathan McKinnon... this will get bumped up if he can do some of the things Crosby did)

As a Canucks fan (I moved here 13 years ago), I only personally know of one other... but I've seen a guy around with a team hat.

Reactions: rfournier103

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Niagara peninsula is mostly Leaf fans but lots of Sabres fans.
London and west is mostly Leaf fans but lots of Wings fans and more so the closer you get to Detroit.
GTA. I would say a third of NHL fans are non-leaf fans.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
In some cases this is easy, but some areas are less clear. I also wonder about places like Wisconsin or Saskatchewan, or some of the northern provinces like the Yukon Territories or Nunavut. I'm sure this'll generate some controversy since there are battleground areas.

ANA: Orange County CA, San Diego(? since their AHL team is there)
AZ: Arizona
BOS: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, most of Connecticut
BUF: Upstate NY, parts of extreme southern Ontario(?)
CGY: Southern Alberta
CAR: North Carolina, South Carolina
CHI: Illinois, Indiana, Southern Wisconsin(?)
COL: Colorado, Utah(?), Wyoming(?), Montana(?)
CBJ: Ohio
DAL: Texas
DET: Michigan, Ontario in Windsor area
EDM: Northern Alberta
FLA: Miami, Fort Lauderdale, South Florida in general
LA: Most of Southern California
MIN: Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, North Dakota(?), South Dakota(?)
MTL: Quebec, Maritimes(Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island)
NSH: Tennessee
NJD: Northern and Central New Jersey
NYI: Long Island(Nassau County, Suffolk County New York)
NYR: New York City, Southwestern Connecticut, Westchester County, Rockland County, Orange County New York, also dips into NJD and NYI markets
OTT: Far-east Ontario, far-west Quebec
PHI: Most of Eastern Pennsylvania, South Jersey(Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County, Cumberland County, Cape May County, Atlantic County), Delaware
PIT: Western, Central and Northeastern Pennsylvania, West Virginia
STL: Missouri, Southern Illinois
SJ: Bay Area, Northern California
TB: Gulf Coast Florida
TOR: Ontario
VAN: British Columbia, Washington(? Though if so, not for long)
VGK: Nevada
WSH: DC, Maryland, Virginia
WPG: Manitoba

Van - Before the Kraken came to be the Territory of Washington state belonged to the Avs. No, really. VAN’s territory is all of British Columbia. That’s it. BUT for many many years (again, before the Kracks) the Vancouver feed of CBC was available on Basic cable throughout western Washington (read: HNIC).

Arizona is really messed up. Northern Arizona belongs to the Yotes yet the Golden Knights frequently black out their games when they shouldn’t. Previous ownerships didn’t give a crap which was a daily thing before this season. I Covered the team for years and year in and year out they 1) hired ad/marketing firms that didn’t know a thing about the market or hockey and 2) since their inception in Arizona the Coyotes neglected to Market to the HUGE Hispanic population literally next door to the arena.

San Diego - Used to live there when the ducks made their runs to the cups or went deep into the playoffs. The media doesn’t care nor does the Ducks when it comes to marketing that area.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks aren't all that popular (Nor hockey) in Milwaukee area , etc unless its transplants from Chicago as fans

In Wisconsin the Hawks support if you find it is in border area's like Kenosha , Pleasant Prairie , etc

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Iowa would be Blackhawks a lot of people in the Dakota's are hawks fans to {probably because of the logo}. North central Wisconsin I would say are hawks to with the Western part of the state Wild fans because it's close to St Paul.

North Central is Wild. The only reason Southern Wisconsin is Blackhawks is because people can reasonably get to a game. If you can't reasonably get to a game in the area you live in, you typically go with the team that you can most easily watch and that's the Wild.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
As to the VGK, two points:
(1) Nevada is effectively two separate states divided by a six-hour drive through the desert, being Las Vegas (South) and Reno-Tahoe (North), and who knows who the folks up North like.
(2) The VGK seem to be building something of a international fan base of folks who just happened to be in town during a game, went to the game as a new "show" in town, and thereafter became fans of a sort. Noting that this happens with all professional sports teams to some degree, it is probably much more pronounced for the VGK because we have so much more tourism within easy walking distance of the stadium than anybody else.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Are there Preds fans in Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi? I know Paul McCann was or is also the PA Announcer of the University of Alabama-Huntsville team.
Yes a bunch of them especially Southern KY and Northern Alabama which are less than 100 miles from Nashville.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The globe and mail did something similar a few years ago and concluded that montreal was the most popular team in Canada, although I'd be interested in how they determine representation of the entire population base.

Out here in Southwestern BC, the largest contingent of fans that I've encountered outside of the canucks are the habs.

I've met a few boston fans as well, and there's quite a few oiler fans too, although alot of them have gone into hiding IMO, so my experiences, are pretty similar to the BC breakdown that you have shown.

I know there are alot of leaf fans too, judging on their turnout at canucks games but I know very few of them personally.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
In some cases this is easy, but some areas are less clear. I also wonder about places like Wisconsin or Saskatchewan, or some of the northern provinces like the Yukon Territories or Nunavut. I'm sure this'll generate some controversy since there are battleground areas.

ANA: Orange County CA, San Diego(? since their AHL team is there)
AZ: Arizona
BOS: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, most of Connecticut
BUF: Upstate NY, parts of extreme southern Ontario(?)
CGY: Southern Alberta
CAR: North Carolina, South Carolina
CHI: Illinois, Indiana, Southern Wisconsin(?)
COL: Colorado, Utah(?), Wyoming(?), Montana(?)
CBJ: Ohio
DAL: Texas
DET: Michigan, Ontario in Windsor area
EDM: Northern Alberta
FLA: Miami, Fort Lauderdale, South Florida in general
LA: Most of Southern California
MIN: Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, North Dakota(?), South Dakota(?)
MTL: Quebec, Maritimes(Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island)
NSH: Tennessee
NJD: Northern and Central New Jersey
NYI: Long Island(Nassau County, Suffolk County New York)
NYR: New York City, Southwestern Connecticut, Westchester County, Rockland County, Orange County New York, also dips into NJD and NYI markets
OTT: Far-east Ontario, far-west Quebec
PHI: Most of Eastern Pennsylvania, South Jersey(Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County, Cumberland County, Cape May County, Atlantic County), Delaware
PIT: Western, Central and Northeastern Pennsylvania, West Virginia
STL: Missouri, Southern Illinois
SJ: Bay Area, Northern California
TB: Gulf Coast Florida
TOR: Ontario
VAN: British Columbia, Washington(? Though if so, not for long)
VGK: Nevada
WSH: DC, Maryland, Virginia
WPG: Manitoba
Calgary and Edmonton's fan base stretches into Saskatchewan as well. Most hockey fans I know cheer for the Oilers or Flames. The third most populous fan base is maybe the Leafs or Habs.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

"dips"? NYR is as popular, it not more so, right in the heart of the NJD and NYI markets.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I could be wrong, I live in southwest BC, but im pretty sure ALOT of Northeast BC is Oilers country.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I don't think anyone in the States gives two figs about the Leafs.

...and you would be wrong.
I always see Leafs fans at US games, during the warmups.

Now I wouldn't say its a critical mass, but not no one either.
The Hughes brothers are examples of Leaf fans.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
New Brunswick might be rooting for Montreal Nova Scotia PEI and NFLD are much more Leafs fans than Habs fans.

Its also a Francophone thing. NB is officially bilingual, and closer to QC.
I bet most people from Edmunston to Miramichi support the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad