Visit site
Stars are ranked 26th by HF but have perhaps the best defensive prospect depth
Daley-ready PP QB
Jancevski AHL all star ready 6/7 d-man
Belle-good skater, size high upside if can learn game
Fransson-top talent puck mover
Grossman having a nice year in SEL
Fistric-Size, toughness

All these guys have a real chance at the NHL.

Then there are guys like Granath, Vainio and Waugh who have a prayer. Just do not get the rankings at all. Just wondering who has better depth at defense than this

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Starsdude said:
Stars are ranked 26th by HF but have perhaps the best defensive prospect depth
Daley-ready PP QB
Jancevski AHL all star ready 6/7 d-man
Belle-good skater, size high upside if can learn game
Fransson-top talent puck mover
Grossman having a nice year in SEL
Fistric-Size, toughness

All these guys have a real chance at the NHL.

Then there are guys like Granath, Vainio and Waugh who have a prayer. Just do not get the rankings at all. Just wondering who has better depth at defense than this

Definitely among the best, but we lack the safe prospects with top pairing potential to be labelled the best. In terms of strict depth, we have a strong shot.. Though your forgot Nickerson and Erskine.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
J17ster said:
Yeah, Chicago have been stocking up big. May backfire on them.
There is no backfiring having too much talent. If you end up with 5 awesome blueline prospects, you trade one away to get the offensive talent or goalie.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
George Bachul said:
There is no backfiring having too much talent. If you end up with 5 awesome blueline prospects, you trade one away to get the offensive talent or goalie.

Still a dangerous game to play. Chicago need another great scorer to partner Ruutu. Chicago don't need 5 aewsome blueline prospects. Anyway it is not always that easy to just simply trade for a great offensive talent.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
J17ster said:
Still a dangerous game to play. Chicago need another great scorer to partner Ruutu. Chicago don't need 5 aewsome blueline prospects. Anyway it is not always that easy to just simply trade for a great offensive talent.

defense wins championships...offense sells the tickets... just ask New Jersey about that ... we see that your priorities are out of whack...Defensive prospects are more valueable than offensive prospects

leafaholix*

Ott = Snott said:
Sure thing..

The Stars defensive prospects are, as a group, top 10 fairly easily..
Except they have the least number of defensive prospects in the league, that's depth? I can give you a list of teams that are easily ahead of Dallas, arguably ahead of Dallas, equal to Dallas, and not as good... just looking at the first 10 organizations based on alphabetical order there are 7 or 8 ahead of the Stars easily.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Leafaholix said:
Except they have the least number of defensive prospects in the league, that's depth? I can give you a list of teams that are easily ahead of Dallas, arguably ahead of Dallas, equal to Dallas, and not as good... just looking at the first 10 organizations based on alphabetical order there are 7 or 8 ahead of the Stars easily.

Least?

I count 14 (Daley, Fransson, Belle, Nickerson, Fistric, Granath, Grossman, Vaino, Jancevski, Khomitski, Waugh, Vomela, Ludwig and Erskine (if he counts))..

That's by no means the least in the NHL.

leafaholix*

Ott = Snott said:
Least?

I count 14 (Daley, Fransson, Belle, Nickerson, Fistric, Granath, Grossman, Vaino, Jancevski, Khomitski, Waugh, Vomela, Ludwig and Erskine (if he counts))..

That's by no means the least in the NHL.
You might want to find your editor and update him on that little statistic.

And the ones you did add (Vaino, Ludwig, Vomela, Erskine) don't really make a difference since every team has a few of them. Toronto has a bunch of quality prospects and they fall in there just around 10 last time I checked... and the Leafs core of prospects is deeper than the Stars.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Seven_Nation_Army said:
defense wins championships...offense sells the tickets... just ask New Jersey about that ... we see that your priorities are out of whack...Defensive prospects are more valueable than offensive prospects

You still need offense. Anyway i belive that it is Martin Broduer who is a big reason for thier success. Chicago don't have Broduer. Correction they don't have Martin Broduer. The problem with Chicago is they don't many offensive prospects asides from Radulov. There top prospects are all d-men. They could have opted to draft a guy like Olesz or Tukonen instead of Barker as they already have Seabrook and Babchuk. You need offense and defense not just one or the other.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:

Dont have one

Leafaholix said:
And the ones you did add (Vaino, Ludwig, Vomela, Erskine) don't really make a difference since every team has a few of them. Toronto has a bunch of quality prospects and they fall in there just around 10 last time I checked... and the Leafs core of prospects is deeper than the Stars.

I agree that every team has players like Erskine..dont see why you say the Leafs core of prospects(assuming your referring to d-men) is deeper...please explain.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
Sure thing..

The Stars defensive prospects are, as a group, top 10 fairly easily..

Top 10 easily? You guys have got to get off the Stars bandwagon and see the rest of the league.

Chicago
Nashville
Washington
Edmonton
Minnesota
Vancouver
Anaheim
San Jose
Ottawa
Toronto
NY Rangers
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Tampa

There's 14 teams that I would rather have than the Stars. So the guy that said in the 15-20 range is bang on. That's not even considering players that are on the verge of being full time NHLers.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hmm, Nashville and Chicago clearly ahead of the pack?
Might want to take a look at Pittsburgh's depth.
Standouts Whitney, Fernholm, Nemec, Goligoski, Welch, Bissonnette, Lupaschuk, and several solid in Lannon, Koci, Fata, Rouleau, Sersen, Schneider...
That doesn't take into account young guys like Orpik, Rozsival and Melichar.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
I agree that every team has players like Erskine..dont see why you say the Leafs core of prospects(assuming your referring to d-men) is deeper...please explain.
A lot more depth between the top prospect and the guys like Granath, Marsh, Waugh, and Seikola.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Leafaholix said:
We don't even have one.. Our 2004 draftees aren't even added, let alone graded.

We've discussed the grades with our fanbase a few times earlier this year, this was pretty much what we most agreed upon:

01) Johan Fransson 8.0C
02) Trevor Daley 7.5B
03) Shawn Belle 8.0D
04) Mark Fistric 7.0A
05) Niclas Grossman 7.0B
06) Matt Nickerson 6.0B
07) Dan Jancevski 6.0A
08) Elias Granath 5.5B
09) Nik Vaino 5.5B
10) John Erskine 5.5A
11) Trevor Ludwig 5.0B
12) Lukas Vomela 5.0B
13) Geoff Waugh 5.0A
14) Vadim Khomitski 5.0C

leafaholix*

Ott = Snott said:
We don't even have one.. Our 2004 draftees aren't even added, let alone graded.

We've discussed the grades with our fanbase a few times earlier this year, this was pretty much what we most agreed upon:

01) Johan Fransson 8.0C
02) Trevor Daley 7.5B
03) Shawn Belle 8.0D
04) Mark Fistric 7.0A
05) Niclas Grossman 7.0B
06) Matt Nickerson 6.0B
07) Dan Jancevski 6.0A
08) Elias Granath 5.5B
09) Nik Vaino 5.5B
10) John Erskine 5.5A
11) Trevor Ludwig 5.0B
12) Lukas Vomela 5.0B
13) Geoff Waugh 5.0A
14) Vadim Khomitski 5.0C
Based on the ratings of Dallas fans, the Stars defense should be top 5... but sadly that's not how it works.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Based on the ratings of Dallas fans, the Stars defense should be top 5... but sadly that's not how it works.

I have to agree, although Stars fans aren't alone in overrating their prospects.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I have to agree, although Stars fans aren't alone in overrating their prospects.
True, but not everybody rates their prospects and uses it to rank them as top 10 in the league when it's clear they're no higher than 15... CLEARLY.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
True, but not everybody rates their prospects and uses it to rank them as top 10 in the league when it's clear they're no higher than 15... CLEARLY.

Yeah, I just don't see it, but maybe that's because I'm not a fan of Belle, Daley, Fransson, or Fistric. I'll be very surprised if any of them becomes more than a number 4 on the blueline.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, I just don't see it, but maybe that's because I'm not a fan of Belle, Daley, Fransson, or Fistric. I'll be very surprised if any of them becomes more than a number 4 on the blueline.

Probably because neither of them are Americans..

mooseOAK*

Chaos said:

The Leafs still have a few defenceman that are still young and in the NHL such as Kaberle, Pilar, and Berg to go along with the prospects in St. John's. Look at the Baby Leafs' record going with only one veteran back on defence.

The Stars have a bunch of old guys and a bunch of prospects with nothing in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad