Defense Prospects - where are all the yutes?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Last go round the team built the D in quite an unorthodox way. Tanev (undrafted), Hamhuis (home town FA signing), Ehrhoff (opportunistic trade with cap strapped team), Edler (non first round draft pick).
While I don’t think that this is replicable as there was some luck involved plus the team had the cap space to make favourable trades/signings, given the current state of our D prospect pool, we have to take advantage of all avenues and hope for some luck with later round draft picks hitting. Freeing up cap space next off season would certainly be a great first step and drafting some young D earlier in the draft would also help.
It might be jus me but I think that the current understanding of the value of cap space by NHL GMs is much more sophisticated than it was in 2009/2010. Hamhuis was a great signing. But signing a 28 year old UFA who is a legitimate top 4 D (who easily can be effective playing top pairing minutes) would likely come at much more than 7% of the cap (Hamhuis % over the course of his contract).
Edler and Tanev are perfect examples of what a club needs to do to bolster their depth. Quality D men found in later rounds or out of college. Again, though, isn't the sophistication in scouting much great than it was even a decade ago? It's possible to get guys like Edler and Tanev but it's less likely. They still need to try.

Like you said, drafting D in earlier rounds is an options and, IMO, the option with the greatest probability of building a strong D prospect pool. Look at the Rangers, Detroit, Ottawa among others.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It might be jus me but I think that the current understanding of the value of cap space by NHL GMs is much more sophisticated than it was in 2009/2010. Hamhuis was a great signing. But signing a 28 year old UFA who is a legitimate top 4 D (who easily can be effective playing top pairing minutes) would likely come at much more than 7% of the cap (Hamhuis % over the course of his contract).
Edler and Tanev are perfect examples of what a club needs to do to bolster their depth. Quality D men found in later rounds or out of college. Again, though, isn't the sophistication in scouting much great than it was even a decade ago? It's possible to get guys like Edler and Tanev but it's less likely. They still need to try.

Like you said, drafting D in earlier rounds is an options and, IMO, the option with the greatest probability of building a strong D prospect pool. Look at the Rangers, Detroit, Ottawa among others.

I don't think Hamhuis is a great example for your point as he turned down more expensive deals to play here. Hamhuis was a case of a great player wanting to play at home for a winning team, and the team being smart enough to have created space for him.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't think Hamhuis is a great example for your point as he turned down more expensive deals to play here. Hamhuis was a case of a great player wanting to play at home for a winning team, and the team being smart enough to have created space for him.
Maybe so. But I still think it's harder to acquire "value" contracts in free agency than it used to be. It's harder to do everything now that GMs factor in cap space as actual value rather than just a cap on money they have to spend.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Maybe so. But I still think it's harder to acquire "value" contracts in free agency than it used to be. It's harder to do everything now that GMs factor in cap space as actual value rather than just a cap on money they have to spend.

I think its always just finding value, and it shouldn't be looked at as positional or anything. If you can acquire a good contract someone needs to dump like Erhoff was for us, do it, use the savings there to overpay where you need to.

I think looking at this season was a good example where there was a few teams I think will regret trying to save money or other assets vs going for it. I think the Canes should be pushing harder now, and I think the Panthers should have pushed now off the top of my head.

Reactions: iceburg

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You guys remember the '19 draft when we made 9 picks but took no defenders?

Shoot.

Reactions: timw33

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"Defense Prospects - where are all the yutes?"

Give the new management team some time to clean up the mess (no, I ain't talking 7 years like for Jethro Bodine).

For some reason the thread title had me think of the following scene from Wayne's World...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
"Defense Prospects - where are all the yutes?"

Give the new management team some time to clean up the mess (no, I ain't talking 7 years like for Jethro Bodine).

For some reason the thread title had me think of the following scene from Wayne's World...

1992: year Wayne's World came out. Same year as the following:

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad