GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Arizona |Something Marco This Way Comes|

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm really liking the bottom 6 lines right now. Kyrou is looking a lot better with Bozak and Steen. Those 2 can do a lot of the dirty work, and Kyrou is having a mentality of being the driver and making some plays happen. He's starting to figure it out. Blais-Barbashev-Sundqvist is the definition of seek and destroy, and they have skill to add to it.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I might be missing some context here but......what? Why will you laugh when worst case scenerio happens?
If Petro walks, and we don't have Faulk, what does our RD look like? Parayko, bortuzzo, Reinke ( who has played 1 NHL game)? Faulk is a backup plan to make sure our RD is not a dumpster fire without #27. Parayko slots into #1 and is the big shutdown guy. Faulk slots into #2 and gets majority of the PP time that #27 currently gets. Faulk puts up more points than this year, in a role that he's more suited to. Thats why I will laugh.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm really liking the bottom 6 lines right now. Kyrou is looking a lot better with Bozak and Steen. Those 2 can do a lot of the dirty work, and Kyrou is having a mentality of being the driver and making some plays happen. He's starting to figure it out. Blais-Barbashev-Sundqvist is the definition of seek and destroy, and they have skill to add to it.
Kyrou and Blais had very strong game. Looks like Kyrou is improving his overall game more he gets icetime.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Petro walks, and we don't have Faulk, what does our RD look like? Parayko, bortuzzo, Reinke ( who has played 1 NHL game)? Faulk is a backup plan to make sure our RD is not a dumpster fire without #27. Parayko slots into #1 and is the big shutdown guy. Faulk slots into #2 and gets majority of the PP time that #27 currently gets. Faulk puts up more points than this year, in a role that he's more suited to. Thats why I will laugh.
Few have noted here in Blues board that it could be totally opposite that Parayko is the guy who will leave after his contract ends and Pietro will re-sign at summer.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If we go Parayko-Faulk, it's still a dumpster fire. I'd prefer rebuild at that point instead of being shackled to Faulk. We have almost a full season of Faulk, which included PP time....I'm not impressed at all.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If we go Parayko-Faulk, it's still a dumpster fire. I'd prefer rebuild at that point instead of being shackled to Faulk. We have almost a full season of Faulk, which included PP time....I'm not impressed at all.
Faulk could work in that role, but we'd need a proper LHD partner for him. The luxury with Pietrangelo is that we can put anyone with him, and that pairing will still function as a good top pairing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Faulk could work in that role, but we'd need a proper LHD partner for him. The luxury with Pietrangelo is that we can put anyone with him, and that pairing will still function as a good top pairing.
While I dont think you're incorrect. I believe that's a poor way to build a roster. We found our success with Pietrangelo and Parayko. 2 guys who dont have to be sheltered by their partner.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Can someone explain "stand up to cancer" to me?

Is it to raise awareness? Does it raise money for scientific studies?
Mostly funding research as opposed to awareness. They purport to have funded 180 clinical trials with about half a billion pledged to continue research.

The most recent audit/review found that a little over 75% of money raised was spent on providing services and funding programs, which is pretty good for a charity. They consistently get the highest (or near the highest) rating you can get from charity watchdog groups.

In a landscape that has plenty of 'fight cancer' charities that don't actually do much to fight cancer, Stand up to Cancer legitimately raises and uses a ton of money to actually research and develop cancer treatments.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
You can see the confidence oozing out of him now. He's controlling possession in the O-Zone like no one on this team other than Thomas, he's picking up his assignments in the neutral zone, and while he'll never be a guy to physically separate player from puck he is "stick battling" much better in his board play. The one concern I have, and maybe he's actually being coached to do this, is that he seems to leave the backcheck early to set up as an outlet rather than staying in the fight. All in all, I have to think the coaching staff is pleased with his progression, and there is no reason to expect him not to be a full-time NHL player next season, with the capability of putting up 15-20 goals and 20-25 assists if healthy.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm not going to say he replaces him because he's not on the same level by any means (nor do I WANT this to happen), but i'm going to laugh in everyone's face when Petro walks this summer, and we have Faulk to fall back on as someone who will step in on the PP and #2RD role as Parayko moves to #1D. I'll put an avatar or $ bet up on this happening.

I will not laugh. I have been pretty vocal that the defense would be in a better spot with Faulk (and his contract) than without if Petro were to walk.

However, I am firmly of the mindset that the Cup window closes if Petro walks. If Petro walks, I think the proper move by the organization would be to sell most the vets for futures/younger guys and try to do a 1-2 year retool to focus on a new core of ROR, Thomas, Kyrou, Sunny, Parayko, and Dunn.

IMO, letting Petro walk and having Faulk as the 2RD and PP guy puts this roster in that horrible spot where you are good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to actually contend (let's call it the Minnesota middle). If the plan/intention is to let Petro walk over $1-2M a year, then we shouldn't have been locking ourselves into contracts that suggest we are in win-now mode.

The Blues last year and the LA Kings are the only teams in the last decade to win the Cup without a D man who scored at least 44 points in the regular season (Doughty missed that mark in the regular season both years they won). However, Doughty had 16 points in 20 playoff games in 2012 and 18 points in 26 playoff games in 2014. Petro had 41 points in 71 games last year before putting up 19 points in 26 playoff games.

To win a Cup in today's NHL, you need a D man who is outscoring a few of your top 6 forwards. Having a few good but not top end offensive D men doesn't cut it.

Parayko is a great D man, but he is not capable of providing that type of offense. His career high is 35, he had 28 last year and is on pace for 30 this year. More offensive usage isn't getting him into the mid-40s. Faulk hasn't hit 40 points since 2014/15. Increased usage isn't getting him there. Dunn's career high was 35 last year and he is on pace for 24 this year. A sudden jump to 45+ in the next couple years is pretty damn unlikely. If Petro walks, we no longer have that D man in the organization and good luck finding one without giving the same amount of "overpay" it would have taken to keep Petro.

I'm firmly in the camp that is fine with the Faulk/Schenn deals if we keep Petro and keep the window open. If Petro walks, then I absolutely hate giving out 2 "win now at the expense of the future" contracts right before entering what should be a retool.

You can understand that the presence of Faulk makes for a better 2020/21 blue line in the absence of Petro without thinking that the extension to create that reality was a wise decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbrownss

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
You can see the confidence oozing out of him now. He's controlling possession in the O-Zone like no one on this team other than Thomas, he's picking up his assignments in the neutral zone, and while he'll never be a guy to physically separate player from puck he is "stick battling" much better in his board play. The one concern I have, and maybe he's actually being coached to do this, is that he seems to leave the backcheck early to set up as an outlet rather than staying in the fight. All in all, I have to think the coaching staff is pleased with his progression, and there is no reason to expect him not to be a full-time NHL player next season, with the capability of putting up 15-20 goals and 20-25 assists if healthy.
Given the number of quotes Berube has given praising his skill but criticizing him knowing how to play in the NHL and play a complete game, I would be stunned if the Blues were coaching him to bail on defense and play outside the system every other forward has bought in to.

That type of habit is almost the calling card of skilled guys who never had to learn D in junior hockey because flying the zone and racking up points was the best thing for the team. It's those types of habits that NHL teams are worried about with skilled guys to the point that they send them to the AHL and/or healthy scratch them on the NHL roster.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Strong disagree, he’s still looked good. Unless you’re only looking at the stat sheet, he’s still had numerous scoring chances.

I watch how easily he gets knocked off the puck and loses possession. I watch how Thomas performs miracles only to have it die on Sandfords stick.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I watch how easily he gets knocked off the puck and loses possession. I watch how Thomas performs miracles only to have it die on Sandfords stick.
He’s been easily one of our best players for the past couple weeks and has gotten better at puck possession but I guess hating on him is still the “cool” thing to do by some.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I saw a couple turnovers but that was it. No more egregious then Schwartz damn near sending Hall on a breakaway.

Sanford has been fine.
He's been "fine," but he hasn't been as good away from the puck as he had been when he was on his heater. The standing-around-waiting-for-someone-else-to-make-a-play Sanford has crept back in on occasion, but not to the point that the guy should be benched or vilified. He's just the type of player that needs to be reminded to keep moving his feet and to engage rather than waiting to see what's going to happen next. I'm sure the coaching staff is providing feedback in-game. Remember, he's still a young player with less than 2 full NHL seasons of games under his belt.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
He’s been easily one of our best players for the past couple weeks and has gotten better at puck possession but I guess hating on him is still the “cool” thing to do by some.

Oh god, I must have been blind because what I thought I saw was a guy playing like shit but what I really saw was a guy that played good a few weeks back. That completely negates anything that's happened the last 2 games. Thank god you were here to correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad