Defence Next Year

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
I really hope Noreau bounces back from his injury and plays just as well. He should get a shot next year eventually, especially if our PP keeps struggling to start the year.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Dang, I thought Kyle Quincey was an UFA this summer, and would have been interested in having him back on a short term deal.

Prior to Hejda under Roy, he was the best partner EJ had, and sadly he would be the Avs 3rd best defenceman still.

That is sad.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
4 spots are almost guaranteed on defense next year. The last 4 are up for competition as to who gets the other 2 playing slots and 2 healthy scratches. You can bank on at least this to start the year:

X1 - Johnson
X2 - Barrie
Holden - Stuart

Now hopefully Roykic follow up on improving the D, they even mentioned in some press conference that they want to improve there. To start simple, X2 can be filled by Hejda being resigned on a cheap deal, or a Bigras or Siemens making the team out of camp (doubtful). Since they didn't move Hejda, one would think they intend on bringing him back to play more within his capabilities. I just don't see them being free agent crazy and signing two top 4 guys. X1 has some limited options. You have to consider where the potential people have played, their age, their handedness or preferred side, and skill level to potentially be on our top pair. That being said, here are the few people that fit the realistic bill of signing here, and being EJ's partner.

1) Christian Ehrhoff
2) Johnny Oduya
3) Barret Jackman
4) Andrej Sekera - very slim chance IMHO, why would LA give up that much to let him go

Very slim pickings on the market. Unless Mike Green or Jeff Petry can play left, and Beauchemin decides to leave Anaheim, or Martin heads west for the first time in his career, that's the likely candidates for X1. Or they can always trade for it...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I agree with you on the structure. X1 will be a FA and X2 could either be a FA, Hejda or a prospect if that slot is left open going into camp, which is doubtful. I think X2 could absolutely be a FA, just not from the same "aisle" as X1. Of course any O'Reilly trade could alter this a bit.

member 116861

About to write an article about Jan Hejda so it will talk about this stuff a lot (shameless plugin). I think it will be tough for a team that has signed 2 top-4 defensemen from free agency since the cap was introduced to sign 2 top-4 defensemen in one summer.

member 116861

I hear ya, this is true. What's the most likely result then? Just bringing back Hejda because they can't find better?

Bring back Hejda for the 2nd pairing and aggressively pursue one of the top defenseman in free agency.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think Hejda will be brought back on a cheap-ish 1 year deal (like 2.5 mil) then Oduya will be picked up in FA on a like 2-3 year deal because I don't think we get Ehrhoff or Sekera.

Oduya-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Stuart
Guenin, Redmond

Perhaps one of Siemens or Bigras impresses in camp but I doubt they make it in over Holden

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If the rumours are true that Roy was looking for a right handed defenceman, then it certainly makes the possibility of getting two defencemen in free agency larger. Usually, we only list left handed defencemen around these parts. But as noted above by AvsFan2123 bringing in a RH defenceman also opens up the possibility of guys like Petry, Green, Franson, or McQuaid.

I can't see the Avs "solving" the defence in one summer however, and locking up 2 guys that wouldn't be their first choices to long term deals.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
jackman got exposed big time against minny, and that was playing on the 3rd pair. no way he can play 1st pairing duties or even close. not even 2nd pair. slow, stupid and can't move the puck. we have enough of those D already. and he'll probably command fairly big money and term. it better not be us.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Ehrhoff would be great for the team, still think sekera would be ideal but LA will figure out the cap and resign him. Hopefully his poor injury riddle year in Pittsburgh brings down his market value enough that the avs can make him an attractive offer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't even tease me with erhoff. You guys can't imagine how excited I'd be to have a high end german on this team.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I could see a redmond/guenin/holden type.

I doubt that. We are already stock piling these types in the AHL (Noreau), and with our new AHL rookies we don't really even have room to put anyone in the AHL. whoever we bring in has got to be seen as a top4 guy. Redmond and Noreau were brought in to battle for the offensive scratch spot. Guenin was brought in as a scratch as well. Holden was brought in for the 3rd pair.

Maybe a Stuart type signing, which would more than likely be Hedja. I'm hoping we take a chance on a European with high 2way potential, or at least a very well rounded Dzone game. I got more faith in finding a gem from over there than finding some washed up NHLer who is looking to prove they are top4 material still.

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
1) Franson
2) Irwin
3) O'duya

Last year I wanted Leddy or Strallman and they got Stuart :-(.....I think they will try to get only one UFA again next year....let's hope a better one this time.....

Johnson
Barrie
Irwin
Holden
Stuart
Siemens
Redmond
Later in the year Bigras replace an injured def....

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
darryl sutter:

I remember asking Brad Stuart once about Gary Suter. He thought he was my brother. ‘Stu, you’re from Rocky Mountain House. Sutes played in Calgary.’ It’s like, how could you not know him?

unacceptable. send him to the moon.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If we keep ROR, my ideal Defense going into next year:

Sekera - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Guenin

If we trade ROR:

Sekera - EJ
ROR Trade - Barrie
Holden - Stuart

Basically, regardless of whether we trade ROR or not, I think we should go all in on a Top Dman from this years free agency. My ideal target is Sekera, but Erhoff/Martin/Irwin/Beauchemin would all be fine additions as well if Sekera isn't available.

I dont think a ROR trade will bring back a guy capable of playing Top pairing mintues right away. I could see it bringing back a young Dman who could play the 2nd pairing though. I mainly think this because I think we'll also be getting a Top 9 forward out of the deal, along with other additions to the trade like prospects/picks. Someone like Kulikov/Gardiner/Beaulieu/Zadorov/Gelinas/etc. Young guys who can play 2nd pairing now and maybe Top pairing in the future.

I dont think we draft a Dman with our pick at #10. In fact I'm almost positive it will be a big forward like Rantanen, Meier, or Crouse as an Iginla replacement in a couple of years.

If we do draft a Dman, the only thing I think that would change, would be a possible ROR trade return, in which I dont think we'd target a Dman anymore, but instead a high impact forward.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My ideal target is Sekera, but Erhoff/Martin/Irwin/Beauchemin would all be fine additions as well if Sekera isn't available.

Not+like+the+other.png

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
1) Franson
2) Irwin
3) O'duya

Last year I wanted Leddy or Strallman and they got Stuart :-(.....I think they will try to get only one UFA again next year....let's hope a better one this time.....

Johnson
Barrie
Irwin
Holden
Stuart
Siemens
Redmond
Later in the year Bigras replace an injured def....

Franson sucks and Irwin is worse

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really don't mind bringing Irwin in, but he is a 4th tier UFA defensemen. Maybe okay as a 4/5 in a pinch, but really should be on the bottom pairing. I'd much rather bring in others before him. Now if the Avs are bringing in 2, and he is the less heralded of the signings... I'm perfectly fine with that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
*shrug* no more than Holden and Barrie did when they were together, so why waste money on Irwin?

Well, this would be exactly what I meant by saying I'm higher on Irwin than others.

I think he's a significantly better Dman than Holden. Maybe not capable of playing Top pairing minutes, but I think he would do well on in a middle pairing role alongside a guy like Barrie.

One of the bigger factors with him for me is that he's also still pretty young at only 27, and has only been in the league a couple of years. I think he still has room to grow a bit in the league, and he's someone we could have around for 4-5 years as a #4/5 guy rather than only a couple of years that we'd get with Beauchemin/Martin/Erhoff.

In saying that, my #1 guy is certainly Sekera, and after that my #2 is Erhoff. But I would consider Irwin to be in the same group as Beauchemin and Martin in that if the other 2 big fish go elsewhere, than I'd target any of those 3 or 4 next for the 2nd pairing role. Sekera/Erhoff would be brought in to play alongside EJ on the top pairing though.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Personally I want not much to do with either Paul Martin or Francois Beauchemin. Old, overpaid, and aren't going to make much of a difference here.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Personally I want not much to do with either Paul Martin or Francois Beauchemin. Old, overpaid, and aren't going to make much of a difference here.
Both probably would make a pretty big difference here, quite frankly. They'd slot in as either the 2nd or 3rd best defenders right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad