Defence Next Year

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I was just thinking about the off season and was wondering what UFAs everyone was coveting this year, especially on the back end. It would be nice to get rid of Guenin somehow but if we could spend the same money/save some by using the Briere + Hedja space on Z. Michalek and Beauchemin we would look a hell of a lot better. I also want to have Siemens play his way onto the team. Something like:

Beauchemin - Johnson
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Michalek
Siemens - Redmond

would look a whole lot better, no? Plus our first round pick this year.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
no need to spend money on michalek. slow and can't move the puck. forward depth also needs help and he probably wants longer than 1yr deal and avs are going to need money for 2016 offseason and re-signings.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Not a big Michalek fan. Beauchemin would be nice, but Roy did say they aren't going to be looking to add anymore older defensemen to the team.

I'm not even sure they'll look at UFA to improve the defense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Beauchemin isn't bad but in that top six, we once again only have two guys who can really skate and move the puck.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd still like it if Andrej Sekera was a major target. Matt Irwin would interest me as well, as would Johnny Oduya to a smaller extent.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Erskine-Johnson
Carkner-Barrie
Holden-Guenin
Elliott-Redmond

That size and veteran experience.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Erskine-Johnson
Carkner-Barrie
Holden-Guenin
Elliott-Redmond

That size and veteran experience.

PassionateGloriousHatchetfish.gif

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

Exactly.

In all seriousness though, I'd rather the Avs not sign anyone this year than try to find some "gem" or veteran who can rebound.

O'Brien, Zanon, Holden, Redmond, Guenin, almost Carkner, etc. Don't need anymore players like this.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
What's the beef with Redmond? Thought he was a mostly great find.

Good puck mover and can skate, sure, but really bad defensively and hangs onto the puck way, waaay too long. Basically useless against any team's forecheck.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Good puck mover and can skate, sure, but really bad defensively and hangs onto the puck way, waaay too long. Basically useless against any team's forecheck.

This... Redmond just can't process the game at the NHL level. In a sheltered bottom pairing role he would be fine, but the Avs have enough of those players. As a 7/8, I'd be pretty happy with him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If we can keep ROR:
UFA - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
(Bigras/Siemens)

If we lose ROR:
Hejda - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Zadorov - Stuart

over the season becoming:
Zadorov - EJohnson
Hejda/Holden - Barrie
Dunk/Bigras - Holden/Stuart

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But Corsi says Redmond is awesome and if you ignore Corsi then you ignore reality

I think I'm one of the more extreme examples of someone who generally really likes numbers and advanced models, but hates advanced stats in sports. I'm fully on board with Trevor on this:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Im sure Bigras and Siemens will be given every opportunity to win some spots and I hope to sweet baby jesus they knock some guys off the team but I think its safe to assume Bigras is in the A most of the year until injuries hit and its Siemens as the 7th D.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dunk won't be the 7th D for the same reason Pickard didn't get relegated to sitting on the bench when Varly came back. He'll start the year in the A and when an injury opens a spot he or Bigras will get called up to play in that spot. If they can win it for good that's what they'll do and if not they'll get sent back down to get PT until another job opens up.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
UFA - Johnson
UFA - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Guenin - Redmond

Avs will definitely get 1 defenseman July 1st. If they don't get a 2nd, Siemens/Bigras will have to step in, which wouldn't make the defense much better than last season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
UFA - Johnson
UFA - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Guenin - Redmond

Avs will definitely get 1 defenseman July 1st. If they don't get a 2nd, Siemens/Bigras will have to step in, which wouldn't make the defense much better than last season.

i don't think we can afford two UFAs. long-term wouldn't make much sense with so many players needing extensions and other issues we have upfront.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Dunk won't be the 7th D for the same reason Pickard didn't get relegated to sitting on the bench when Varly came back. He'll start the year in the A and when an injury opens a spot he or Bigras will get called up to play in that spot. If they can win it for good that's what they'll do and if not they'll get sent back down to get PT until another job opens up.

I just hope both guys kill it at camp so we can get rid of Guenin and Holden for good.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Dang, I thought Kyle Quincey was an UFA this summer, and would have been interested in having him back on a short term deal.

Prior to Hejda under Roy, he was the best partner EJ had, and sadly he would be the Avs 3rd best defenceman still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad