Defence defence defence

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
If we don't start focusing our efforts at acquiring strong defensive prospects it won't matter how good our forwards and goalies are. Cups are won with strong defence core.

Defencemen take longer to develop than forwards. This is by far our weakest position today and in the past with not a lot of hope sitting in the wings.

We'll end up being a carbon copy of Colorado Avalanche, with strong offense and goalie and little on the D side of the ledger!!

If we draft low this summer I'm wondering if it will be BPA or focusing on strengthening of D?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If we don't start focusing our efforts at acquiring strong defensive prospects it won't matter how good our forwards and goalies are. Cups are won with strong defence core.

Defencemen take longer to develop than forwards. This is by far our weakest position today and in the past with not a lot of hope sitting in the wings.

We'll end up being a carbon copy of Colorado Avalanche, with strong offense and goalie and little on the D side of the ledger!!

If we draft low this summer I'm wondering if it will be BPA or focusing on strengthening of D?

They went into the draft this past summer looking to stock up D and left with one in the 7th.

It will be BPA. And should because you can conceivably trade a top 6 forward for a top 4 defenceman. It's less likely you'll be able to turn an ECHL-level defenceman into a top 4 defenceman.

Derfel*

I read this thread title, and decided to chant it instead.

DEE-FENCE. *clap clap* DEE-FENCE.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Since the move the Jets have drafted

22 F
12 D
4 G

We have also spent 2 of our 5 1st round picks on D. I don't see a problem. These things sort themselves out over time. There's no evidence that they are favoring one position over another. Chevy's own words were that most players drafted are realistically 4 or 5 years away from being impactful.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Curious if anyone thinks that any one of our forwards could make the switch to defense. Particularly a left shooting forward?

The future doesn't look good on the left side.

NHL:
Enstrom (31) UFA 2018
Stuart (31) UFA 2018
Chiarot (24) RFA 2017

AHL:
Morrissey (20) RFA 2018
Melchiori (24) UFA 2016
MacWilliam (25) UFA 2016

Overseas:
Niku (19)
Kulda (27)

Didn't Fredrik Olausson make the switch from winger to defense? Or was he defenceman that experimented at forward? I recall in his early seasons in Winnipeg he was used in both positions frequently.

Throwing a name out there, is it possible Burmistrov could adapt to this role?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Curious if anyone thinks that any one of our forwards could make the switch to defense. Particularly a left shooting forward?

NHL:
Enstrom (31) UFA 2018
Stuart (31) UFA 2018
Chiarot (24) RFA 2017

AHL:
Morrissey (20) RFA 2018
Melchiori (24) UFA 2016
MacWilliam (25) UFA 2016

Overseas:
Niku (19)
Kulda (27)

Didn't Fredrik Olausson make the switch from winger to defense? Or was he defenceman that experimented at forward? I recall in his early seasons in Winnipeg he was used in both positions frequently.

Probably a better plan just to develop a RHD to play as a LHD. Poolman's been playing top pairing LHD in North Dakota for a bit now.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012

NHL:
Enstrom (31) UFA 2018
Stuart (31) UFA 2018
Chiarot (24) RFA 2017

AHL:
Morrissey (20) RFA 2018
Melchiori (24) UFA 2016
MacWilliam (25) UFA 2016

Overseas:
Niku (19)
Kulda (27)

This ain't rec hockey where you stick a forward back on D.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I didn't mention Poolman as he's a RHD as well. Has he been playing his offside for North Dakota?

He played it last game for sure and definitely a few other times I've noticed it. Not sure if it's become the norm though.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't know about you, but I think championships are won by being the better team, which requires a combination of defense and offense.

I should also note Colorado 12th lowest team in goals per minute of ice time...

The highest scoring teams per minute are:
Dallas
Washington
Boston
San Jose
Chicago

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Jets have Byfuglien, Myers, Enstrom, and Trouba as capable top-4 defenders and should be okay for a while.
Depth defenders are easy to trade and sign for, if you play it smart/careful, and Chiarot and Postma are not terrible depth defenders.

They have Morrissey, Kostalek, Poolman, plus some long shots and dregs in the pipeline.

It's not like the organizational depth in defense is terrible.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jets have Byfuglien, Myers, Enstrom, and Trouba as capable top-4 defenders and should be okay for a while.
Depth defenders are easy to trade and sign for, if you play it smart/careful, and Chiarot and Postma are not terrible depth defenders.

They have Morrissey, Kostalek, Poolman, plus some long shots and dregs in the pipeline.

Have you upgraded Poolman from long shot? This would be exciting coming from you.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Depth defenders may not be as easy to sign as you allude to.

It's not like any one of Kulda, Redmond, Postma or Pardy have been happy with the way they've been used. Players ultimately want to play. Kulda was never given the chance, Redmond & Postma were AHL all stars, neither of which were provided any real opportunity of cracking the roster. I'm sure Pardy would have played more had it not meant throwing our assistant captain in the press box.

The Jets 2.0 in their short existance have rubbed an awful amount of players the wrong way. Kane, Burmistrov, Frolik, Stemniak, Wellwood, Mason, Montoya, Kulda, Redmond, Postma, O'Dell, Tangardi & now Pardy have all had some degree of bitterness to the organization.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Have you upgraded Poolman from long shot? This would be exciting coming from you.

Part of it is him finally being elevated from third pair role... But mostly it's a sense I get from the Jets in him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Poolman and Connor playing a game or two like Copp did last season (provided they don't go deep in the NCAA tourney).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Depth defenders may not be as easy to sign as you allude to.

It's not like any one of Kulda, Redmond, Postma or Pardy have been happy with the way they've been used. Players ultimately want to play. Kulda was never given the chance, Redmond & Postma were AHL all stars, neither of which were provided any real opportunity of cracking the roster. I'm sure Pardy would have played more had it not meant throwing our assistant captain in the press box.

The Jets 2.0 in their short existance have rubbed an awful amount of players the wrong way. Kane, Burmistrov, Frolik, Stemniak, Wellwood, Mason, Montoya, Kulda, Redmond, Postma, O'Dell, Tangardi & now Pardy have all had some degree of bitterness to the organization.

Jets history with retaining their depth defenders has nothing to do with the fact that good depth defenders are regularly available for cheap in both the UFA and trade market.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I'm of the same mind. Earlier in the year I was thinking it would fantastic if we could pick up a guy like Chychrun, but considering our position now, how can you not be looking at those top 5 or 6 F? If we fall back in the 8,9 range and Chychrun is there then we take him...other than that I don't see any scenario where the Jets take a D in the first.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Part of it is him finally being elevated from third pair role... But mostly it's a sense I get from the Jets in him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Poolman and Connor playing a game or two like Copp did last season (provided they don't go deep in the NCAA tourney).

Which in turn would result in their college careers being over. Both are certainly ready to play pro hockey, Poolman in the AHL, Connor in the show.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
They went into the draft this past summer looking to stock up D and left with one in the 7th.

It will be BPA. And should because you can conceivably trade a top 6 forward for a top 4 defenceman. It's less likely you'll be able to turn an ECHL-level defenceman into a top 4 defenceman.

BPA is fine for the first 2-3 rounds but even here, we need to put added weight on D. In later rounds, thats where we should definitely be focussing more on D simply because its not unusual for top 4 D to come out of any round in the draft, but finding a top 6 F in the middle to late rounds is a rare event. Not saying it doesn't happen, because there are probably 1-2 top 6 Fs that come out of the 4-7 rounds each year but I'm betting the incidence of finding top 4 D in those rounds is 2-3X higher.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
This ain't rec hockey where you stick a forward back on D.

No I really dont think there are many instances where an F has been transformed into a D. If there are any (can't think of them now), it would have to be someone that had considerable experience playing D at the jr level.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
No I really dont think there are many instances where an F has been transformed into a D. If there are any (can't think of them now), it would have to be someone that had considerable experience playing D at the jr level.

I seem to remember some kid from Minnesota, really big kid with a weird last name which I think was Norwegian or something,......... hmmmm what was his name again?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00