Defence defence defence

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We definitely need a another 2 or 3 defensive prospects in the pipeline at least 1 with top 4 potential.
People always say how it's so easy to trade a top 6 F for a top 4 D. But in this cap world these trades don't happen very often. There are so many moving parts involved in that machine. Just ask Edmonton how easy it is to acquire an establshed Top 4 Defencemen.
We heard Chevy talk about this after the TD. Trades, especially with RFA's are so hard to accomplish because teams are looking at more than just the current cap situation they are looking at the future and considering so many things like other players reaching their potentials, potential UFA's, arbibtration rights. When you make a trade it looks so simple.. player X for player Y. But these guys have so much more on the table that we don't see when trades are being discussed.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd thought that Olausson had done so, but from what I'm looking at he too was a D that was turned F at the beginning of his NHL career. It wasn't until his third year with the Jets that the experiment at forward ended.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Best thread in a long time. If Chiarot and Stuart are a part of our top 6 our progress will be quite limited.

I would shop Wheeler for a top 4 defenceamn and a left handed shooting defence prospect in the off-season. Then not worry about d for 10 years. Draft one of the finns and they grow into Wheeler's role, joining Ehlers and Conner as our elite forwards.

Drafting a defenceman and expecting an 18 year old to fill a hole will be a slow frustrating wait.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
We're an average to weak team all around.

Focusing only on defense isn't going to change that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't think there is much concern with defensemen as far as the NHL roster goes. Now yes, D prospect pool does look pretty thin but I think two guys can change that by either being drafted this year or someone progressing in the system. A lot can change with D-men and it's really hard to predict.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
We're an average to weak team all around.

Focusing only on defense isn't going to change that.

Don't know if maybe you didn't read the OP or not, but he's talking about drafting more specifically and we have one of the best prospect groups in the league.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
What's that saying? The best defense is the best offense.

I think the Jets issues on the blue line are largely overblown......except for Stu.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Since the move the Jets have drafted

22 F
12 D
4 G

We have also spent 2 of our 5 1st round picks on D. I don't see a problem. These things sort themselves out over time. There's no evidence that they are favoring one position over another. Chevy's own words were that most players drafted are realistically 4 or 5 years away from being impactful.

Nevertheless we have graduated 1 D and we have 1 promising D prospect and 1 possible. That's it system wide. Meanwhile we have 2 vacant positions on the left side and a third on the horizon.

BTW, we've had 6 1st round picks. Are you forgetting Roslovic? We had an extra 1st in an outstandingly strong draft which was particularly strong in LHD. We didn't take one until the 7th round. Roslovic was not likely BPA. He should have been Larsson. We'd be much better off today.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Nevertheless we have graduated 1 D and we have 1 promising D prospect and 1 possible. That's it system wide. Meanwhile we have 2 vacant positions on the left side and a third on the horizon.

BTW, we've had 6 1st round picks. Are you forgetting Roslovic? We had an extra 1st in an outstandingly strong draft which was particularly strong in LHD. We didn't take one until the 7th round. Roslovic was not likely BPA. He should have been Larsson. We'd be much better off today.

Oops on that one. I know you are obsessed with Larsson. He was not the BPA on the Jets list or they would have picked him no?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm of the same mind. Earlier in the year I was thinking it would fantastic if we could pick up a guy like Chychrun, but considering our position now, how can you not be looking at those top 5 or 6 F? If we fall back in the 8,9 range and Chychrun is there then we take him...other than that I don't see any scenario where the Jets take a D in the first.

I can see that for the first 3 spots. After that the D are just as good as the Fs. The forwards are scoring more is all. They are forwards after all. That is kind'a expected.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

In hindsight I think we probably should have spent that 2nd round pick on Kylington instead of Harkins and the 3rd on Mitchell Vande Sompel instead of Foley. Vandesompel is killing it in the OHL and would have been a great value for the 3rd over Foley. I was surprised he even fell to the 3rd round considering his dominant numbers. But them's the breaks

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I hope we draft this guy http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67208 with our 5th, 6th or 7th round pick. On overager who has been passed over twice in the draft and I don't understand why, he is doing pretty well in the SEL. He is producing at a much higher rate than Toby was in the same league at the same age.

In that same light, you might want to check out Tom Hedberg, a sixteen year old LHD who is playing regular games in the Allsvenkan in Sweden. I haven`t been able to find any really good data on him but he seems promising

Wonder if there might be any connection with the Anders Hedberg that played with Jets 1.0 back in the day ?? :)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't even have to click to know that's Aho. :help:

I don't understand why a not single GM hasn't a taken a flyer on him with a 7th. Heck, not even a training camp invite to acquire the player for free without spending a pick on him. :shakehead Amazing really considering that GMs draft forwards with anemic scoring in the 7th round yet refuse to draft this defenseman who is playing decent minutes and putting up the points in a men's league as a 19 year old. He is outproducing John Klingberg at the same age. If he doesn't get drafted this season then I don't even know what to say. The Jets should draft him, I think his floor is a 5/6 defenseman with top-4 potential

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oops on that one. I know you are obsessed with Larsson. He was not the BPA on the Jets list or they would have picked him no?

Every team at every draft has picked the BPA for their team on their list every single time. Without exception, according to whatever criteria they were using. That doesn't mean some of them were not unwise choices. Senyshyn was the BPA according to Boston's list last year.

I'm not obsessed with Larsson and I don't hate Roslovic either. But there was nothing about Roslovic to indicate he was any better than Larsson. Nothing at all. The only difference was that our need for LHD prospects was greater than our need for RW prospects.

All things being equal take a C over a winger. Nobody seems to have trouble with that. The same goes for D. All things being equal take a D over a winger. In our case it goes beyond all being equal. We have a greater need for LHD than for RWs. The only thing going for Roslovoc over Larsson is that Chevy picked him. That's it. Nothing more. At best that is an appeal to authority. Chevy picked him so it must have been the right thing to do because Chevy is a drafting genius.

We have so may promising F prospects that we don't have room for them all in our fantasy lineups but for D prospects Morrissey is the only one I would call promising. No other has shown more than a very slim chance of being better than a 3rd pair player. In fact we will be doing well to get one or two of those from among the prospects we have and Morrissey may never become a top 4 player either.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
In that same light, you might want to check out Tom Hedberg, a sixteen year old LHD who is playing regular games in the Allsvenkan in Sweden. I haven`t been able to find any really good data on him but he seems promising

Wonder if there might be any connection with the Anders Hedberg that played with Jets 1.0 back in the day ?? :)

That's pretty impressive

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In hindsight I think we probably should have spent that 2nd round pick on Kylington instead of Harkins and the 3rd on Mitchell Vande Sompel instead of Foley. Vandesompel is killing it in the OHL and would have been a great value for the 3rd over Foley. I was surprised he even fell to the 3rd round considering his dominant numbers. But them's the breaks

I would have much preferred Larsson over either of those 2 but I would be much happier waiting for 1 or the other of them to develop than Harkins or Foley. Kylington's stats in the AHL don't look too impressive until you realize he is still only 18. He's doing pretty well! Vande Sompel's production has fallen off quite a bit but is still not bad.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Every team at every draft has picked the BPA for their team on their list every single time. Without exception, according to whatever criteria they were using. That doesn't mean some of them were not unwise choices. Senyshyn was the BPA according to Boston's list last year.

I'm not obsessed with Larsson and I don't hate Roslovic either. But there was nothing about Roslovic to indicate he was any better than Larsson. Nothing at all. The only difference was that our need for LHD prospects was greater than our need for RW prospects.

All things being equal take a C over a winger. Nobody seems to have trouble with that. The same goes for D. All things being equal take a D over a winger. In our case it goes beyond all being equal. We have a greater need for LHD than for RWs. The only thing going for Roslovoc over Larsson is that Chevy picked him. That's it. Nothing more.

Why are you so fascinated by Larsson? How many times have you watched him play?

And why should we trust your judgement on these two players more than the Jets scouting staff?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why are you so fascinated by Larsson? How many times have you watched him play?

And why should we trust your judgement on these two players more than the Jets scouting staff?

Because he was the best D available when we picked at 25. That's all. Thats enough. Its not just my judgement on those 2 players. Where were the 2 ranked on the pre-draft lists? My judgement is only based on that plus knowing what we have and DON'T have in our system.

If we are just goung to put blind faith in Chevy's drafting then we might as well shut down all the threads that discuss drafting.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Because he was the best D available when we picked at 25. That's all. Thats enough. Its not just my judgement on those 2 players. Where were the 2 ranked on the pre-draft lists? My judgement is only based on that plus knowing what we have and DON'T have in our system.

If we are just goung to put blind faith in Chevy's drafting then we might as well shut down all the threads that discuss drafting.

This......Larsson's season in the SEL has been more impressive than Roslovic's...

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I hope we draft this guy http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67208 with our 5th, 6th or 7th round pick. On overager who has been passed over twice in the draft and I don't understand why, he is doing pretty well in the SEL. He is producing at a much higher rate than Toby was in the same league at the same age.

I knew who it was before clicking on it. He's small, but better offensively than Toby. I haven't seen enough of him in the d-zone against men.

I picked him in the 2nd or 3rd round his first eligible year in a mock draft.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Where is this blind fairth comment coming from? The Jets have made plaenty of mistakes drafting. I Think they draft well, above average, but I certainly don't think it's anything special. I just don't believe in drafting position specific. Obviously you think that is something this team should do. I don't. I believe that it all evens out over time. I also think it's too soon to fall in hate with a prospect less than a year after he was drafted.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What's that saying? The best defense is the best offense.

I think the Jets issues on the blue line are largely overblown......except for Stu.

Which is funny, since we can never protect a lead. We're 8th worst in Goals Against, and 6th Goals Against/ Game.

We don't have a good defense. I don't know why people think we do.

Well, I do. People think a good offense is the best defense which might be true, but not when you have the lead. We need more defensemen that can actually play defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00