Declining Weise?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
What decline? He was never THAT great to begin with. He was always a bottom-six grinder who was horribly miscast in Montreal and playing in the top-6 because of our depth.

That said, Philly and their fans will LOVE him in the playoffs.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Honestly the best coach to get grinders look like 30 goals scorer is definitly Therrien.

Sadly thats probably the only thing he can do.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Dutch Gretzky does not decline, the rest of the field caught up to him.

King King

Two Joes, No Cups
Aug 7, 2011
Seattle
I doubt his shooting percentage will stay as low as it is all season so that should pick up a little bit, but expecting him to repeat his Montreal production is unrealistic.

Looking forward to seeing how he does in the playoffs.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
He's a weird situational player. Won't hurt you defensively, actually above average on the PK, and can score goals when played with a good passer but doesn't really bring anything to a game otherwise. He's the definition of a north south guy who doesn't venture much out of his corridor and is kind of conservative with his physical play. Hard to coach a guy like that. Doesn't have the talent to be a consistent top 6 but can't bring any offense when played with 3rd or 4th line players and won't really focus on defense unless played on the PK.

FranksterQc

Nov 17, 2010
Being in the NHL for several consecutive years and with 25+ point seasons, is not "playing hockey at a decently high level". Always glad to learn new things on HFB. :handclap: :laugh:

Making it to the NHL doesn't mean you're even decent at hockey according to HF Boards!

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
He was invisible for the Hawks after the trade deadline last year and found himself sitting in the press box off and on, including in the playoffs. I'm not sure how any GM thought giving him a 4 year deal was a good idea. Not skilled enough to be a top 6 guy, not defensively orientated enough to play a shutdown role, not physical enough to be a grinder. He is a tweener at this point that can play on a 4th line but is replaceable and certainly not worthy of a long term commitment.

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
he is lost without his good buddy PK

Absolutely

bJxIPS7.gif

I'm just curious where does Dutch Gretzky come from? Isn't Weise a German surname, and Weise is Canadian as well?

He got 48 pts in 19 games during the lockout playing in the Dutch League. Which earned him this nickname.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He's still a good player. Yes his production was inflated and yes the contract is a little too rich for what he brings but at the end of the day he's still a useful player IMO.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
He was never that good. He benefited of playing top line with Pacioretty as our forward depth was terrible.

The guy should have taken any contract Montreal offered him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Dale Weise is a plug, in the "litteral" sense. Put him somewhere and he'll bring his skillset, which is mostly size, speed and not-so-shobby hands. If a line needs that kind of things, then Dale Weise would work great on it, even if, in the end, he's a marginal 3rd liner (and a decent 4th liner).

I'm VERY confused by the reports suggesting Dale Weise could help anyone defensively however. It's probably what makes him a 4th liner actually.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
We had a major argument on our board where I called his 2 seasons with MTL a fluke, and where other posters thought he was just trending up when he went to MTL and is now trending back down.

I called him a 20pt player max, whereas others thought he was a 30+pt player.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
We had a major argument on our board where I called his 2 seasons with MTL a fluke, and where other posters thought he was just trending up when he went to MTL and is now trending back down.

I called him a 20pt player max, whereas others thought he was a 30+pt player.

But...he already exceeded 20 points twice...

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Therrien is an awful coach, one who thrusts bad players into great opportunities in some strange attempt to spread their imaginary depth around. Look no further than their lines for tonight:

Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov
Byron-Mitchell-Gallagher

Paul Byron and Phillip Danault are going to put up career high numbers this year, actually Danault already has.

Riding shotgun with either of MaxPac or Gallagher is a pretty good gig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad