Declining Weise?

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Did he stop getting top minutes?!?!?

Bad player in a good situation in the past. He got his Prust contract.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I think you mean Weise (I'll change your subject line).

Stephen Weiss declined a while ago.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I guess it depends in what your expectations for dale weise are

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's been fine this year. Not scoring much but certainly not a detriment to the team. Definitely shouldn't be scratched but it won't be for long.

Pointless thread.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Actually, he has been playing fine the last month or so even without the points.

As for him being scratched, I would not read anything into it. So far:

MDZ
Manning
AMac
Read
Weise
Lyubimov
Raffl
Ghost

....have all been scratched. Yet VandeVelde has not. Hakstol has his favorites. He was an unnecessary signing though. Should have went after a #3C to upgrade on Cousins/Bellemare.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Actually, he has been playing fine the last month or so even without the points.

As for him being scratched, I would not read anything into it. So far:

MDZ
Manning
AMac
Read
Weise
Lyubimov
Raffl
Ghost

....have all been scratched. Yet VandeVelde has not. Hakstol has his favorites. He was an unnecessary signing though. Should have went after a #3C to upgrade on Cousins/Bellemare.

Most of these players are borderline NhLers, and a sophomore.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeh, he has been fine... helping keep our bottom six from drowning defensively with Couturier and Read out (as our 3rd line was basically dismantled to fill their gaps).

He has been pretty unlucky to boot. But ofc more points would be nice. He is paid to get ~25 or so a season while bringing some speed and grit and decent D.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He's actually been pretty darn good from a possession standpoint. What he's not doing is going to the dirty areas, which quite frankly shocks me. If they get him to do so, the scoring will pick up a bit. If not, this is what you get.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Most of these players are borderline NhLers, and a sophomore.

I would not call Raffl, Read and MDZ borderline NHLers. You have two ideal 3rd liners and a decent #4 Dman there really.

Lyubimov has been pretty good too. Weise ok. And Ghost never deserved that scratch.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Also remember that he is a RW. And on Philly, that means he is playing behind Voracek, Simmonds, and often Read most nights.

He so not playing with offensive players, so getting points is hard to come by in our bottom 6. But he is never hurting us as myself and others have said. He is good insurance if a top 6 RW gets hurt and an extra body to have in the roster with expansion coming.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is Weise really actually declining though?

I'm of the belief that he was NEVER as good as he was the last two years.

This year, his offensive production is much closer to his career norm. He's a pretty good 4th liner at best IMO, not the decent 3rd liner that he was the last two years.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He's actually been pretty darn good from a possession standpoint. What he's not doing is going to the dirty areas, which quite frankly shocks me. If they get him to do so, the scoring will pick up a bit. If not, this is what you get.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Weise kinda stopped going to the dirty areas the longer he was a Hab. When he first came to the Habs he played more physical and went to the dirty areas..

Then Therrien started playing him on his top lines where he had some success scoring a few points and his game changed somewhat. I guess he figured he was now a scorer and not a grinder anymore after some top line duty. :)

Weise was still a very good soldier for the Habs though and I hope he finds success with the Flyers. Except when he plays the Habs of course.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Everyone knew that contract sucked from the onset

I knew he would get a dumb contract like this and was excited to see who would be dumb enough to give it to him.

I think Hextall has done a good job of cleaning up the mess of horrific contracts that Holmgren gave out, but that was a very Homer-esque contract.

Though to be fair, I'm sure someone else was waiting in the wings to give him something close to as abusrd, maybe even the same amount.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Weise is a mediocre 4th liner who has soft hands. Not much of a grinder either. He has to be put in situations that leverage this if you want to see a 20 goal pace out of him. so in the slot and with good playmakers. his best success in Montreal was with Briere and Desharnais. not the bestbplayers (Briere was done, too slow but still a good passer) but they could put the puck on Weise's stick and he would bury it. i dont think Quinville got that and maybe Hakstol doesnt either but Therrien did.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Weise can skate and doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. That made him a prime candidate for Therrien to use him in a top 6 role and inflate his numbers.

He's perceived as a grinder, but it really isn't where he's at his best. He's a solid complimentary piece on a 3rd line, but it was always clear to 90% of Habs fans that he would be overvalued as a UFA based on his numbers.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I would have been happy with that contract on the Habs. I think I'm on record saying so. I also have no clue how to build a hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad