Post-Game Talk: Deck the halls of Coyotes' goalies, Fa la la la la, Nucks 7-1

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Ha! Now we need to analyze every play on every shift to form an opinion? Sounds realistic and very helpful: we should probably stop counting shots and goals entirely in case they colour our opinion of a player. :sarcasm:
Whoa, wait, context matters? I didn't see the game against Calgary, saw on the scoresheet Weber scored. Was it a huge individual effort?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I thought sestito played pretty well considering the long layoff and it looked like he was playing the right side instead of his usual left position.

I think he brought a nasty edge to the team that was sorely lacking and it felt as if the team played a bit bigger with his presence. Kassian needs to bring more of that in a day to day basis imo

I would like to see him slot in against the bigger/heavier teams

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I thought sestito played pretty well considering the long layoff and it looked like he was playing the right side instead of his usual left position.

I think he brought a nasty edge to the team that was sorely lacking and it felt as if the team played a bit bigger with his presence. Kassian needs to bring more of that in a day to day basis imo

I would like to see him slot in against the bigger/heavier teams

If you can't sit for a month and a half and still positively affect shot differential from out of position, you can't be a 13th or 14th forward in this league. Every team has a corsi monster waiting in the press box. We should too. Drawing penalties and throwing hits is fairytale stuff. We need cold, hard numbers out of our 13th/14th.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I thought Sestito played his role perfectly last night. For all the flack he gets he's the best enforcer we've had since probably Brashear. Do people already forget how much we wanted a player like that during the prime contending years of 2009-2012 instead of Hordichuk, Oreskovich or Glass?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I thought Sestito played his role perfectly last night. For all the flack he gets he's the best enforcer we've had since probably Brashear. Do people already forget how much we wanted a player like that during the prime contending years of 2009-2012 instead of Hordichuk, Oreskovich or Glass?

No. I do not. Lol.

But Sestito was excellent, even though I'm not the hugest fan of his role. Didn't fight Doan when Daniel was hauled to the ice, which would have started a **** show.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
and while everyone watching sportsnet was talking about whoever that shoulderous lady was, some of us were watching the canucks.com postgame where higgins was on camera shirtless in the locker room for what seemed like five agonizing CTing minutes and the camera never once zoomed out to show his abs.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
and while everyone watching sportsnet was talking about whoever that shoulderous lady was, some of us were watching the canucks.com postgame where higgins was on camera shirtless in the locker room for what seemed like five agonizing CTing minutes and the camera never once zoomed out to show his abs.

This is the moment when I realized there was no Santa.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
If you can't sit for a month and a half and still positively affect shot differential from out of position, you can't be a 13th or 14th forward in this league. Every team has a corsi monster waiting in the press box. We should too. Drawing penalties and throwing hits is fairytale stuff. We need cold, hard numbers out of our 13th/14th.

I agree. Sestito is a great player, and every team in the league would be lucky to have a knuckle dragger that can post a 10% Corsi. I mean, poor guy hasn't played in a little while and he still dominates like that?

You guys are ridiculous with how you get your backs up when anyone criticizes a Canuck. I know this would turn into an embarrassing homer board when "Trev" became President :laugh:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Sestito is a very likeable guy and does some things that fans like that actually don't really matter.

The guy can't play hockey at an NHL level

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For all the praise Sestito seems to be getting for last night, and he was surprisingly decent...We all loved him going after Hanzal, but the way he left the game off, that's part of the issue with having a guy like Sestito in your lineup. He kicks up hornet's nests.

At the end of the game, suddenly you've got Tanev of all people squaring off and grappling with an opposing player. Fortunately nothing came of it, but you've got these situations where Sestito is escalating the violence, "eye for an eye" sort of thing...and potentially dragging other important players in with him. Part of that obviously being the score and the frustration...but it's pretty clear Sestito set off the powderkeg.

And now you've got Hanzal threating to "get him next time", which...we all know is laughable. Hanzal doesn't want anything to do with actually squaring off and fighting Sestito. At best, it's Hanzal taking extra runs at Sestito...but more than likely, Sestito is scratched next time around and Hanzal goes out of his way to be an even dirtier player than usual, taking it out on one of our other "actual players".

Or maybe (probably even), tempers settle out, memories are short and fleeting, and nothing at all comes of it. But why kick that hornet's nest? Was the "restribution" worth it? Did we get our pound of flesh? Do we think Hanzal is going to be cowering in fear next time around and cut it out with his trademark cheapshots? :dunno:

Whatever the case, it just seems to me that Sestito does a better job of escalating things and creating more dangerous situations for a team that behind him, just isn't that tough...than he does actually putting out fires, settling scores, or deterring anything. If that's something we want in our lineup, then so be it...personally, i'm not overly keen on venturing too far down that road.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sestito is a very likeable guy and does some things that fans like that actually don't really matter.

The guy can't play hockey at an NHL level

I 100% agree with this.

Pretty much.

Even the worst players have an occasional serviceable game and Sestito did last night. Had a lot to prove and moved his feet better than usual. But when push comes to shove, he's just not an NHL-caliber player.

For all the praise Sestito seems to be getting for last night, and he was surprisingly decent...We all loved him going after Hanzal, but the way he left the game off, that's part of the issue with having a guy like Sestito in your lineup. He kicks up hornet's nests.

At the end of the game, suddenly you've got Tanev of all people squaring off and grappling with an opposing player. Fortunately nothing came of it, but you've got these situations where Sestito is escalating the violence, "eye for an eye" sort of thing...and potentially dragging other important players in with him. Part of that obviously being the score and the frustration...but it's pretty clear Sestito set off the powderkeg.

And now you've got Hanzal threating to "get him next time", which...we all know is laughable. Hanzal doesn't want anything to do with actually squaring off and fighting Sestito. At best, it's Hanzal taking extra runs at Sestito...but more than likely, Sestito is scratched next time around and Hanzal goes out of his way to be an even dirtier player than usual, taking it out on one of our other "actual players".

Or maybe (probably even), tempers settle out, memories are short and fleeting, and nothing at all comes of it. But why kick that hornet's nest? Was the "restribution" worth it? Did we get our pound of flesh? Do we think Hanzal is going to be cowering in fear next time around and cut it out with his trademark cheapshots? :dunno:

Whatever the case, it just seems to me that Sestito does a better job of escalating things and creating more dangerous situations for a team that behind him, just isn't that tough...than he does actually putting out fires, settling scores, or deterring anything. If that's something we want in our lineup, then so be it...personally, i'm not overly keen on venturing too far down that road.

This too.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I agree. Sestito is a great player, and every team in the league would be lucky to have a knuckle dragger that can post a 10% Corsi. I mean, poor guy hasn't played in a little while and he still dominates like that?

You guys are ridiculous with how you get your backs up when anyone criticizes a Canuck. I know this would turn into an embarrassing homer board when "Trev" became President :laugh:

I'm not getting my back up about the criticism of Sestito, I just don't like the shots you like to take at people who don't judge every player by shot count alone. Sestito was physical, drew two penalties and goon'd up Hanzal. I know about possession and I still think he had a good game. Now I'm Don Cherry? **** off.

I've criticized this team and players on this team plenty over the years. Do I seem like a fan boy compared to the average fan on here right now? Absolutely. A large percentage of this board is looking for every fault they can find to be "right" at this point. I'm fine with that.

Homer board? Is that a joke?

It's not reasonable to expect a good possession player to sit in the pressbox the way Sestito has. IMO his utility comes in the fact you can sit him as long as you want and not worry about it. If he doesn't like that, waive him. And when he does come in, he knows his role. I'm a caveman I guess.

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
..but more than likely, Sestito is scratched next time around and Hanzal goes out of his way to be an even dirtier player than usual, taking it out on one of our other "actual players".
meh, it seems like a sack of **** like Hanzal is going to do that sort of stuff anyhow. Heck he tried to take out three of our players in one game without any kind of provocation from our side. **** him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Hanzal he loves the fact the Canucks don't stand up to him it just makes him bolder. He's one of the bullies that gets bolder when he gets away with it. I'm usually a let things slide/don't kick the hornets nest guy but I don't mind what Sestito did. is going to Hanzal anyway but maybe he'll slink off somewhere and think about now someone has stood up to him, if not he'll just be his usual self and nothing is lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad