Post-Game Talk: Deck the halls of Coyotes' goalies, Fa la la la la, Nucks 7-1

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I didn't like the vey that Vey was playing early on when he was putting up points.

Even though he hasn't been as productive recently, it seems as if he's playing a lot better.

the hockey mistress

Jul 11, 2009
I've been saying we need some Sestito around here, but everyone laughed...great game from Sestito, drew three penalties.
Sistito is better than what people give him credit for. At the end of last season he was finding his game. This season he has been out with an injury and because of our depth. To come in tonight, play disciplined and make guys like Handzal play a more honest game is worth a spot for certain games during the season. He saved his payback on Handel till the end of the game when penalties wouldn't hurt the team was brilliant! He is heart and soul and a team guy.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Not a fan of Sestito but glad to hear he played well. Still don't see him as a regular on this team (or any) and I think there are better options for 13th forwards out there. Good hands, but can't skate and can't hold his own defensively.

He didn't play well. I think his Corsi was -20 in 10 minutes of icetime, something like -22/+2. Score effects/single game, but people praising him for his play in that game weren't paying attention because they were having too much fun with the rest of the game :p:

I did enjoy watching him punk Hanzal though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Someone make a .gif of Sestito hacking away at Hanzal like hes cutting down a tree :laugh:

I was hoping to see one of Benning's reaction to Tanev's OT winner the other night. :laugh:

Sestito gets a rough ride (I include myself among those who give it to him), but I have to appreciate what he did at the end there. Hanzal can be such a dirty puke. Burrows summed it up nicely by saying "it was nice of Tommy to go ask him how he was doing".

Nice to see so many slumps end last night. Hopefully the team can build confidence from here once the Christmas break is over.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He didn't play well. I think his Corsi was -20 in 10 minutes of icetime, something like -22/+2. Score effects/single game, but people praising him for his play in that game weren't paying attention because they were having too much fun with the rest of the game :p:

He drew 3 penalties, laid out bigger hits than any Canuck has all season, and finally got some retribution on a punk that took out our captain.

My god advanced stats are obnoxious

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Sistito is better than what people give him credit for. At the end of last season he was finding his game. This season he has been out with an injury and because of our depth. To come in tonight, play disciplined and make guys like Handzal play a more honest game is worth a spot for certain games during the season. He saved his payback on Handel till the end of the game when penalties wouldn't hurt the team was brilliant! He is heart and soul and a team guy.

Sestito is much better playing as our 12th best forward than our 8th or 9th best

That cross check on Hanzal was a treat :nod:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Most pleasant surprise for me at the Xmas break?
Dorsett. The guy has really shown some offensive skill that I wasn't expecting. Great character guy too! Ten points and leads the team in hits.
One of my favourite players already.
Runner up? Brad Richardson: 15 points and tied for fourth in goals.
Great overall prduction right down the line from our bottom six!

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

We all know anything other than corsi close is disingenuous

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Great to get a win like this heading into the break. Slumps busted, everyone gets to feel good about things over break, nothing to really stew over...so they'll be getting a much needed mental break as well. And being up big early let Willie D roll the depth and rest some of the guys like Edler who has been playing huge minutes since Hamhuis went down, Bieksa, who has probably been playing more minutes than he can comfortably handle, etc. Getting Sbisa and Stanton as the high minute men in this kind of situation is smart coaching and nice luxury.

Should allow the team to come back confident in the new year, without that nagging fear of a repeat of last year hanging over their heads through the break.

Plus...it was a ton of fun to watch. :)

It's nice to get some breathing space.

Funny after the 2nd unit PP slump, we had the 2nd AND the 3rd unit get a goal :handclap:

arsmaster*

When one measures a hockey game by shot attempts and only shot attempts I think the plot is lost.

Sestito himself had two shots from right in front of the net.

Were the ones his line gave up worse? I imagine so.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
So seriously, after Christmas with the return of Hansen and Kassian, does Sestito get waived or is some sort of trade coming?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
When one measures a hockey game by shot attempts and only shot attempts I think the plot is lost.

Sestito himself had two shots from right in front of the net.

Were the ones his line gave up worse? I imagine so.

I didn't say it's the only way to judge a hockey player, but when people are talking about the guy being an ideal 13/14 forward and saying how great he was, a little context/reality is always welcomed.

I do realize, however, that most people on this forum are averse to statistics and are rapidly approaching the Event Horizon of Leafs fan levels of denial :laugh:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I didn't say it's the only way to judge a hockey player, but when people are talking about the guy being an ideal 13/14 forward and saying how great he was, a little context/reality is always welcomed.

I do realize, however, that most people on this forum are averse to statistics and are rapidly approaching the Event Horizon of Leafs fan levels of denial :laugh:

The problem with advanced stats is exactly what you posted about Sestito. Singular reliance on any means of measurement when it comes to sport is fallacy. He made strong contributions to a winning effort, often those don't show up on the Corsi sheet.

Its funny that the people who only use Advanced Stats are the most militant, willing to denigrate people who take advanced stats and other means of measurement to form a judgement on a player. Kind of remind me of militant atheists in this manner, never willing to let anyone elses opinion be.

arsmaster*

The problem with advanced stats is exactly what you posted about Sestito. Singular reliance on any means of measurement when it comes to sport is fallacy. He made strong contributions to a winning effort, often those don't show up on the Corsi sheet.

Its funny that the people who only use Advanced Stats are the most militant, willing to denigrate people who take advanced stats and other means of measurement to form a judgement on a player. Kind of remind me of militant atheists in this manner, never willing to let anyone elses opinion be.

Just like Dorsett. Does stuff you can't measure.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

LMAO. All I said was he didn't play well. He didn't. They spend the vast majority of the time he was on the ice in their own end. It has nothing to do with being militant -- I just think people come across like they have their heads in the sand when they ignore pretty easily interpreted statistics.

Of course you can't project much from a single game Corsi. But when someone is -22/+2 in a game. you can be pretty clear the impact was not great, and certainly not worthy of being heaped with praise. YMMV.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

It's funny when the only other game Sestito played he near lead the team in corsi... People did not say then how great he was... and judging by ice time Willie thought he played better yesterday

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
LMAO. All I said was he didn't play well. He didn't. They spend the vast majority of the time he was on the ice in their own end. It has nothing to do with being militant -- I just think people come across like they have their heads in the sand when they ignore pretty easily interpreted statistics.

Of course you can't project much from a single game Corsi. But when someone is -22/+2 in a game. you can be pretty clear the impact was not great, and certainly not worthy of being heaped with praise. YMMV.

mitigating factors. Context needed. none provided.Shift by shift analysis needed to properly form the conclusion you erroneously came to. For example, one of those horrifying shots against came in the last shift, when Sestito was hunting Hanzal like a dog. Would I have preferred him stop the shot or give Hanzal the stick-work? Whats the Corsi stat for awesome ****ing crosscheck?. YMMV

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
mitigating factors. Context needed. none provided.Shift by shift analysis needed to properly form the conclusion you erroneously came to. For example, one of those horrifying shots against came in the last shift, when Sestito was hunting Hanzal like a dog. Would I have preferred him stop the shot or give Hanzal the stick-work? Whats the Corsi stat for awesome ****ing crosscheck?. YMMV

Ha! Now we need to analyze every play on every shift to form an opinion? Sounds realistic and very helpful: we should probably stop counting shots and goals entirely in case they colour our opinion of a player. :sarcasm:

You'd need a lot of context to turn Sestito's numbers last night into anything but bad. I could even provide some! Score effects, first game back after injury/a long layoff, etc. None of which would make his game praiseworthy. It's totally okay for people to think watching Sestito goon it up made it worth having him out there. I have no problem with that. But when people start praising him for playing well and saying he's an ideal player to have, then I will probably offer a counterpoint to that.

I'm sure Don Cherry will have a segment on it, though. He does think the Flames are losing becasue they took the tough guys out of the line up...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad