Decision Time Coming for Erik Gudbranson

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I'm not talking about the specifics of the quote. I'm talking about the arrogance it talks to talk down to a teammate like that.

Gudbranson is talking like he's a guy who has 'figured it out' and is part of the solution while Hutton - who is only a year younger - is just a poor young sap who's hurting the team with his struggles right now but thank god he has a superior player like me to help him out.

This despite the fact that Hutton is a better player than Gudbranson and has been a more effective player than Gudbransob ever has when he hasn't been chained to his slow, talentless ass.

Both Sutter and Gudbranson are former top-10 picks who have spent their whole lives with people telling them how special and foundational they are, and they carry themselves like stars and big-time leaders here when they're both fringe bottom-end NHL players. It's nauseating. No accountability whatsoever.

At least Sbisa comes across like a humble guy who knows he has to improve and is trying his best to be a better player. He sucks, but I can actually like him as a person and cheer for him somewhat as a fan. Gudbranson and Sutter I never want to see in a Canuck jersey again.

When you're right you're right. The #1 thing I want from the next coach is real accountability on the team, regardless of paycheck or "pedigree." This started in the very first prospect camp when WD and Benning came aboard and they had the prospect all listed with the rounds they were drafted in on their roster board. Like, what message does that send?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At the rate they're shedding d-men, they'll have no choice but to re-up Gudbranson...unless they're prepared to bring Andrew Alberts out of retirement as a cheap replacement....he should send Tryamkin an Xmas card for the next decade.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pretty sure Hutton was joking around when he said that, having a bit of fun.

Yes and no. He was obviously joking about it before in that video with Sbisa, but in his year end presser he did seriously talk about feeling like he took on more of a leadership role this year vis a vis Stecher and showing him the ways.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
At the rate they're shedding d-men, they'll have no choice but to re-up Gudbranson...unless they're prepared to bring Andrew Alberts out of retirement as a cheap replacement....he should send Tryamkin an Xmas card for the next decade.

They don't need to re-up a bad D-man just because they lost a bad D-man and a promising one. In fact, I'd argue that you want to insulate Hutton and Stecher more by finding UPGRADES on the likes of Sbisa and Gudbranson. I realize that is easier said than done but I don't believe you lock yourself into a guaranteed poor performance because you see a depth issue.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
They don't need to re-up a bad D-man just because they lost a bad D-man and a promising one. In fact, I'd argue that you want to insulate Hutton and Stecher more by finding UPGRADES on the likes of Sbisa and Gudbranson. I realize that is easier said than done but I don't believe you lock yourself into a guaranteed poor performance because you see a depth issue.

As much as I want to expose Gudbranson to the expansion draft, who's going to replace him now?

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Stecher
Gudbranson
Sbisa

He just moved up to the 5th spot.

Assuming Juolevi doesn't make the team.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
As much as I want to expose Gudbranson to the expansion draft, who's going to replace him now?

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Stecher
Gudbranson
Sbisa

He just moved up to the 5th spot.

Assuming Juolevi doesn't make the team.

That just goes to what i'm saying. I don't believe you want to be pencilling in both Hutton and Stecher as top 4. We saw what happened this year by doing that with Hutton. So yes Gudbranson are currently 5/6 on the blueline and would be making significant money. BUt it's a bad blueline. I wouldn't be concerned about retaining guys that play at the level they do for what they make. If they made a million yes retain as they provide some 6-9 depth. But this team needs to be looking for other options to spend $6+ mil on than Gudbranson and Sbisa. Options that actually make the blueline better.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Good thing we got a master scout for a GM right?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Look on the bright side, tough for it to be worse next season.:)

(I said the same about where would finish the previous season - eg., there's no way we could be worse than 3rd last place next year! :laugh:)

I know what you mean.

Talk of extending Gudbranson especially now that Tryamkin is gone is the definition of insanity to me. A proposed blueline that is essentially the same as the one entering last year, played last year and was terrible makes no sense to me. Especially for the money being spent on that blueline.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I know what you mean.

Talk of extending Gudbranson especially now that Tryamkin is gone is the definition of insanity to me. A proposed blueline that is essentially the same as the one entering last year, played last year and was terrible makes no sense to me. Especially for the money being spent on that blueline.

Does Stecher stand out as being (arguably) our best Dman because he's the quickest and smartest? Maybe we need more quicker guys?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Does Stecher stand out as being (arguably) our best Dman because he's the quickest and smartest? Maybe we need more quicker guys?

Stecher isn't the canucks best D-man. Tanev is definitely better as is Edler. Stecher is promising but for a good part of the back half of the season he was getting ripped apart if I recall the numbers. ANd really all year he had difficulties down low due to his size and strength. The poor down low effectiveness is common to all but Tanev on the blueline really. It's why it's a bad blueline.

Stecher should likely still be in a protected role getting a crap ton of PP time.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
No choice but to sign him now. His agent knew he has Benning by the short curlies the minute Tryamkin bolted back to the KHL.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
That just goes to what i'm saying. I don't believe you want to be pencilling in both Hutton and Stecher as top 4. We saw what happened this year by doing that with Hutton. So yes Gudbranson are currently 5/6 on the blueline and would be making significant money. BUt it's a bad blueline. I wouldn't be concerned about retaining guys that play at the level they do for what they make. If they made a million yes retain as they provide some 6-9 depth. But this team needs to be looking for other options to spend $6+ mil on than Gudbranson and Sbisa. Options that actually make the blueline better.

I agree. The problem I see with signing a 5th defenceman in UFA is multiple year offers. If your purpose is to "make the blueline better", that implies you're looking for someone better than Gudbranson. And those players are going to ask for multiple years and the same cap hit or more.

If that's the case, I rather just sign Gudbranson on a 1 year deal, because that's much more likely due to the horrible season he had.

And at this rate, I can't see it being under $4 million.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No choice but to sign him now. His agent knew he has Benning by the short curlies the minute Tryamkin bolted back to the KHL.

How does losing a good player leave us with no choice but to sign a bad player?

Like, does the fact that Burrows is gone leave us 'no choice' but to re-sign Jack Skille?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I like Tanev too, but Stecher is way better at offence. Don't you think his offence makes the difference?

No, as the primary job of a defenseman is to defend. Gap control, stick/poke checks, positioning etc come first. Stecher looks great in the O zone but its hit or miss with him at our end

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Not to mention that Sbisa could be gone in the expansion draft, and Jimbo gave up two picks and a former first rounder in McCann to acquire Gudbranson in the first place....he's already on record as saying that the steep price he paid, was the cost of doing business if you want to acquire a 'top-four' d-man....now how scary is that?

Nope, I've resigned myself to a big extension for Gudbranson.....even if Sbisa goes, it seems to be the Canucks lot in life to have at least one or two overpaid d-men.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
No, as the primary job of a defenseman is to defend. Gap control, stick/poke checks, positioning etc come first. Stecher looks great in the O zone but its hit or miss with him at our end

I though he was a pretty good at all those things, just his size hurts him defending

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I though he was a pretty good at all those things, just his size hurts him defending

Hes not terrible, even showed some snarl and being harder to knock around at the end of a year. Just isnt at the same level as Tanev or Edler

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like Tanev too, but Stecher is way better at offence. Don't you think his offence makes the difference?
He would need to be a complete offensive dynamo, putting up massive numbers in a way where the offense of the team is built around him to be the offensive equivalent of Tanev, IMO. Even then, I would feel inclined to take the guy who's great from the Neutral Zone back.

Stecher has been a great story, but good lord does he get overrated around here. At best, he was probably our third best defenseman last year, tied with Tryamkin, and the good version of Hutton. Edler was the Hamhuis/Mitchell to his Bieksa and is clearly still the better player (despite clearly not giving a **** at the end)-- It's not even close.

Actually, that's a far better comparable. As far as equal opposites go, Stecher's offensive was probably comparable to Tryamkin's defense last year. They're both refreshingly natural at it, and man there's alot to like, but they aren't matching first-pairing, high-minute munching shutdown defensemen any time soon.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad