Injury Report: Dec. 31: Del Zotto (hand/wrist) day-to-day

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Is Gudas technically off the roster while he's suspended? Otherwise, they'd have 24 guys which is one too many.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Good to see A mac back up. Once Gudas is back, waive Man Dog and lets ice a stronger line up.

Amac >> Schultz> ManDog

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Del Zotto and Gudas seemed to complement each other very well. I expect MacDonald to be re-united with Ghost once Gudas suspension is over.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Good to see A mac back up. Once Gudas is back, waive Man Dog and lets ice a stronger line up.

Amac >> Schultz> ManDog

Sorry, but I still don't get the AMac lovefest. He was one of our worst Dmen last year and played so well in the preseason that he was shipped to the minors. Now all of a sudden, people are taking this promotion as the Second Coming. Sure he played better at LHV, but that doesn't mean anything.

He should enjoy his couple of games back up and then away he goes again.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Sorry, but I still don't get the AMac lovefest. He was one of our worst Dmen last year and played so well in the preseason that he was shipped to the minors. Now all of a sudden, people are taking this promotion as the Second Coming. Sure he played better at LHV, but that doesn't mean anything.

Your just looking for reasons to dignify your love for the Dawg. But he is not an NHL defenseman he is an ahl player. He is on this team because of cap issues. If we had 5mil more in cap space Shultz would be a #7 and mandog would be somewhere else

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

A Mac isn't very good at all,,that being said he still is miles ahead of Manning and is a part of the team for the next few years sadly. It's time to get him back on the team.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Tim P. broached the subject to a question asked earlier (above) regarding a roster space. If it is indeed L. Schenn to IR, then it will be announced some time prior to the game.

MacDonald should stick around for two weeks. How much he plays once Radko Gudas’ suspension ends is another matter. The Flyers generally carry seven defensemen.

Since they needed a roster spot, it is believed Schenn was placed on injured reserve as he’ll miss two weeks. Schenn injured his left foot/ankle against Columbus during Saturday’s 4-1 loss.
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...macdonald-returns-replace-injured-luke-schenn

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The interesting thing will be once everyone is back from injury / suspension. Does Hextall send MacDonald down again, knowing nobody will touch him, or maybe expose Schultz and/or Manning to waivers?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
For anyone interested in the cap hit:

Technically, the Flyers are over the NHL’s $71.4 million cap ceiling by about $1.2 million. However, with the CBA-mandated allowance to exceed the cap to replace the salary of defenseman Mark Streit ($5.25 million cap hit) while he is on the long-term injured reserve (groin surgery), the Flyers are temporarily able to absorb the prorated equivalent of $950,000 to accommodate MacDonald as well as rookie Shayne Gostisbehere ($925,000) on the roster.

http://www.delcotimes.com/20151207/flyers-macdonald-hopes-return-is-second-chance

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015

Oh yeah, it's a real Amac love fest going on...

I'm pretty sure everyone wants Amac off the team, just not as much as ManDog.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Oh yeah, it's a real Amac love fest going on...

I'm pretty sure everyone wants Amac off the team, just not as much as ManDog.

I think most of us are looking forward to the day when neither is on the team. I just hope AMac plays well enough to interest another team in his services at a hefty retention by the Flyers.

I am getting sick of guys making scads of cash complaining that the contract is an albatross. Maybe, but it's a gold-plated albatross stuffed with diamonds. If he doesn't want to get stuck in the AHL, he can ask to void the contract and see who else will sign him to play in the NHL. Someone might. He has the power to get out of the contract, but I suspect his wife might disagree.

Getting an exorbitant salary increase can sometimes prove to be more of a curse than a blessing. Andrew MacDonald can testify to that.

Pre-emptively signed by the Flyers in the spring of 2014 to forego impending unrestricted free agency in exchange for a six-year contract extension, the mid-line defenseman went from making $575,000 per season to $5 million. The contract immediately became an albatross around the necks of both the player and the team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hopefully this means Hextall's getting ready to take the ManDog around back soon.

I am getting sick of guys making scads of cash complaining that the contract is an albatross. Maybe, but it's a gold-plated albatross stuffed with diamonds. If he doesn't want to get stuck in the AHL, he can ask to void the contract and see who else will sign him to play in the NHL. Someone might. He has the power to get out of the contract, but I suspect his wife might disagree.

Those were Meltzer's words not MacDonald's. To my knowledge he hasn't complained about anything to this point & has been pretty good about the situation.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
The interesting thing will be once everyone is back from injury / suspension. Does Hextall send MacDonald down again, knowing nobody will touch him, or maybe expose Schultz and/or Manning to waivers?

MacD has to go down, there's no cap room otherwise.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
Hopefully this means Hextall's getting ready to take the ManDog around back soon.

Those were Meltzer's words not MacDonald's. To my knowledge he hasn't complained about anything to this point & has been pretty good about the situation.

Mac said both at his end-of-season press conference and again yesterday that the contract weighed on him, at least last year.

Direct quote from yesterday: “It definitely weighed on me a bit,” he said. “It’s difficult to go from making the league minimum to making $5 million. You put a lot of pressure on yourself, and you expect a lot. When things don’t necessarily go the way you want, it weighs on you a little bit.”

He didn't complain about being sent down, and nowhere did I say he did anything other than handle the situation well.

Last edited:

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Mac said both at his end-of-season press conference and again yesterday that the contract weighed on him, at least last year.

Direct quote from yesterday: “It definitely weighed on me a bit,†he said. “It’s difficult to go from making the league minimum to making $5 million. You put a lot of pressure on yourself, and you expect a lot. When things don’t necessarily go the way you want, it weighs on you a little bit.â€

He didn't complain about being sent down, and nowhere did I say he did anything other than handle the situation well.

I think we can all somewhat respect that as we are seeing it right now with Jake. Even though and correct me if im wrong his new salary doesnt start until next year, he still has a new heafty, big contract in his pocket.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Manning's so good defensively I'm surprised Hakstol hasn't moved him up to the top pairing with Del Zotto.

I think most of us are looking forward to the day when neither is on the team. I just hope AMac plays well enough to interest another team in his services at a hefty retention by the Flyers.

We can debate whether Vinny Lecavalier who has earned more than $100m in his career and is still being paid by Tampa Bay might want to (or should want to) terminate his contract after this season when it only has $6m left on it.

But there's no way in the world a player like MacDonald is going to walk away from a contract with $21.25 million left on it, whether he is married or not.

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Ghost and Manning lead the team with a +2. Hak said yesterday they are playing well together(which they are). I don't think you will be seeing ManDog taken anywhere anytime soon.

Manning is along for the ride. Whoever rides shotgun with Gost will benefit. The other night Manning gets a plus for Gost taking the puck off of Mason's pad, racing up the ice to create an odd man rush, taking the defender to the right of the net to open up a lane for Raffl for Schenn to pass it to him for a nice goal. Manning had ZERO to do with that +. I imagine the case is the same for most of his success.

Manning will likely be benched once Gudas returns and we might see the AMac-Gost duo reunited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad