Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
LOL.

The way Sprong has been playing defensively lately, Sprong is easily the better player. Not to mention he can carry the puck and pass as well.
Yes, that's another thing. Kubalik is not a possession player at ES. If he received a pass in the neutral zone, you can bet your ass he was dishing that biscuit to someone else ASAP. I think he carried the puck through center ice 2 times last season lol.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm surprised there's not more chatter on him to be honest. 10 games without a goal, and he's the type of player that is useless when he's not scoring. He's not physical, he's not bringing the energy every shift, he doesn't get in scrums, and he won't muck it up in corners.

This is now 3 extended streaks of invisible play, which is extremely concerning. When he's hot, he's fun to have around, but I dunno, just doesn't seem like he's able to take over games, or drive a line. Maybe that's why the trade took so long to happen, because Steve was hesitant based on his long invisible stretches.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'm surprised there's not more chatter on him to be honest. 10 games without a goal, and he's the type of player that is useless when he's not scoring. He's not physical, he's not bringing the energy every shift, he doesn't get in scrums, and he won't muck it up in corners.

This is now 3 extended streaks of invisible play, which is extremely concerning. When he's hot, he's fun to have around, but I dunno, just doesn't seem like he's able to take over games, or drive a line. Maybe that's why the trade took so long to happen, because Steve was hesitant based on his long invisible stretches.
not sure that he is useless...He actually has been backchecking and playing pretty good defensively and winning puck battles. He hasn't had a "-" game since 12/31 against Boston and the time before that was against anaheim in 12/18...those are pretty long stretches of 0+ games to be bad/useless defensively. Not to mention that he is pretty good at the first outlet pass and has taken that position over in the meantime while kane is out.

goal scorers go through streaks, typically. DBC is not at the level of mathews or mcdavid, so if anyone was expecting to have a goal ever other game then idk what to tell you.

The only thing that is bothering me with dbc right now is his release on his shot has been abhorrently slow so the defenders have been getting their stick in there. If he would just release his shot a little bit faster, he'd have a lot more chances. On the PP, he is being covered almost to the point of ovi being covered. Differences are obvious, but a main difference is ovi has a 100 mph clapper ready to be used and I am not sure if dbc would ever be able to get to that level, given his size. He is very good at one-timer wrist shots, but you can't use that if you are being covered, while a slap shot backs ppl off sometimes.

This is why Kane was very helpful when we got him because his cross seam passes are usually on the tape and it takes the goalie longer to adjust positioning when you have the puck go through the house and players to the other side. We haven't had that, obviously, since kane has been gone, so we are resorting to a pass from the point to set him up. Although, Raymond has been learning a little from Kane because he did have that great pass to perron on the PP that vasi stopped like a soul crusher.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

He's never been and will never be a player that can take over games or be the main play driver on a line. He's a streaky scorer capable of putting up 35-40. We got that for essentially a mid-late 1st and scraps. It's a great deal.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's never been and will never be a player that can take over games or be the main play driver on a line. He's a streaky scorer capable of putting up 35-40. We got that for essentially a mid-late 1st and scraps. It's a great deal.

Larkin is the only play driver on the team. Debrincat's cold streak happens when he plays with Compher. This team still needs a legit 2C.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Larkin is the only play driver on the team. Debrincat's cold streak happens when he plays with Compher. This team still needs a legit 2C.
I'd argue that Kane is a play driver too, but I'd largely agree here with your assessment. With that said I think Kane/DBCs play together became a little too predictable and in general the team had a bad habit of deferring too much to Kane. They need to incorporate other guys into their play better. This was true on the PP too. We got a little too set in Kane trying to setup the one timer for DBC and everyone knew it.

I think Compher could work with the 2 guys, but they need to incorporate him into the play more. Who was the 3rd play on that line typically for Chi?

Ray may is making moves to get there but isn't quite at that level yet.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd argue that Kane is a play driver too, but I'd largely agree here with your assessment. With that said I think Kane/DBCs play together became a little too predictable and in general the team had a bad habit of deferring too much to Kane. They need to incorporate other guys into their play better. This was true on the PP too. We got a little too set in Kane trying to setup the one timer for DBC and everyone knew it.

I think Compher could work with the 2 guys, but they need to incorporate him into the play more. Who was the 3rd play on that line typically for Chi?

Ray may is making moves to get there but isn't quite at that level yet.

Strome IIRC, also Suter who had a hat trick recently. Time to bring him back, lol.

Toews is also still available in fere agency.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He still reminds me greatly of Slava Kozlov. A small sniping winger who is very linemate-dependent.

eh he's way better at scoring goals than Kozlov ever was

Kozlov never finished higher than 25th in the league in goals and that was the only time he even finished in the top 30

DeBrincat has 3rd,6th,14th place finishes

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
eh he's way better at scoring goals than Kozlov ever was

Kozlov never finished higher than 25th in the league in goals and that was the only time he even finished in the top 30

DeBrincat has 3rd,6th,14th place finishes
Not in the playoffs. It's wild how underrated Kozlov's playoff goal-scoring is. And clutch playoff goals. Franchise record in playoff game-winners.

Couple years in Bowman's doghouse and the Hasek trade and all is forgotten apparently...

Reactions: Sadekuuro

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
He needs to start scoring more consistently. I think everyone would agree with that. One goal in 14 games ain’t cutting it.

He wasn’t going to keep up his 65 goal pace in the first two weeks of the season, but the fact he’s scored only six goals since US Thanksgiving is not good enough.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sprong creates chances for himself every game.

Not every game, but he does create chances for himself. He's like Vrana and AA but without the world class speed, so he can't do it against top lines or defensive pairs. That's always been his MO, but at least he's backchecking this season. Not quite the same as driving the play for the top line.

I'm expecting someone to start quoting ES G/60 stats, lol.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Not every game, but he does create chances for himself. He's like Vrana and AA but without the world class speed, so he can't do it against top lines or defensive pairs. That's always been his MO, but at least he's backchecking this season. Not quite the same as driving the play for the top line.

I'm expecting someone to start quoting ES G/60 stats, lol.

He's nothing like AA or Vrana.

He plays with a much better edge to his game and has a much more direct route to the net.

No fluff with him.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Larkin creates opportunities for others and himself.
I didn't say Larkin didn't. You just said he was the only one. I see Sprong (and now Kane) out there creating opportunities all the time.

DeBrincat is for sure the exact opposite. He can shoot/score if he gets the puck in a good spot. But it's usually the result of someone else's work or good luck.

Reactions: Sentinel

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1707397519666.png

He is definitely up from his Senators-season. I'm totally fine with this.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
His goal scoring dried up in the second quarter but I've been really impressed by his overall game

I don't agree with those that say he's useless if he's not scoring

I expect a big second half with a healthy Kane on the other side of the ice

Reactions: wings95 and Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Debrincat isn't Marian Hossa but he's doesn't blow defensive assignments and rotates responsibly to the point if needed. He's an offensive player but he's not a player that's a liability when he's out against top 6 NHL competition like some of the other players being mentioned with him. (just ignore his season in Ottawa)

Reactions: newfy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad