Line Combos: DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane first line

Would you commit to this as your first line?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I do not really like Cat and Toews together as much as Cat and Schmaltz. Cat needs someone to get him the puck, that isn't or at least hasn't been Toews best attribute lately. Schmaltz is the guy circling around creating space for Cat to sneak on the other side for one-timers. I would most certainly leave them together, though I do love moving Schmaltz to wing if we land a Stastny...

Kane generates his own offense, Cat really doesn't, so putting Kane and Toews together right now just makes sense as Kane doesn't need Toews to do what he does, but Kaner can actually help out Toews produce more which is clearly needed here.

Depending on what we do at FA - why not role with:

Saad - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Hinostrozza
Hayden - Anisimov - Sikura
Edjsell - Kampf - Duclair

it has balance and speed spread out

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
no way I want to see cat-schmaltz-kane together, need to spread those guys out, specifically kane and schmaltz our two best play makers, they need to be on different lines.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I do not really like Cat and Toews together as much as Cat and Schmaltz. Cat needs someone to get him the puck, that isn't or at least hasn't been Toews best attribute lately. Schmaltz is the guy circling around creating space for Cat to sneak on the other side for one-timers. I would most certainly leave them together, though I do love moving Schmaltz to wing if we land a Stastny...

Kane generates his own offense, Cat really doesn't, so putting Kane and Toews together right now just makes sense as Kane doesn't need Toews to do what he does, but Kaner can actually help out Toews produce more which is clearly needed here.

Saad - Toews - Kane

its not bad but I would like to see Sikura with cat and schmaltz. Hinostroza with hayden and Kahun IMO, AA is good as gone at the deadline IMO.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015

Saad - Toews - Kane

Agree with Schmaltz and Dcat, maybe add Saad with them and put Sikura or Hino with Toews and Kane.

Reactions: PelleLindbergh

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'd recreate the party line with Cat. Panarin was wasted as "just" a really good triggerman playing with Kane. That's what DeBrincat is.

The party line was great to watch, and was exactly what Kane has been asking for for years. A large space-clogging center, and a right handed LW who could unload one-timers. Kane showed when he has those two elements, his line is absolutely worthy of being considered a first line — which they were based on 5v5 ice time.

It makes a lot of sense to try and recreate that with DeBrincat in the Panarin role. Who would you have center that line, Anisimov? Also, where would you put Schmaltz in that lineup?

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
The party line was great to watch, and was exactly what Kane has been asking for for years. A large space-clogging center, and a right handed LW who could unload one-timers. Kane showed when he has those two elements, his line is absolutely worthy of being considered a first line — which they were based on 5v5 ice time.

It makes a lot of sense to try and recreate that with DeBrincat in the Panarin role. Who would you have center that line, Anisimov? Also, where would you put Schmaltz in that lineup?
Schmaltz-Toews-Saad
Debrincat-Anisimov-Kane

xalcyx

#murderskate
Mar 8, 2006
Florida
I don't want Debrincat in front of the net, because his best asset is shooting the puck.
I don't want Schmaltz standing in front of the net, because he is best at cycling, and passing the puck.
I don't want Kane in front of the net, because he is our best offensive weapon.

So, who stands in front of the net? Or are we happy with them playing perimeter hockey?

Toews would probably do that very well. It's possible if the Hawks can land another top 6 player this summer........

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Toews would probably do that very well. It's possible if the Hawks can land another top 6 player this summer........

Would they need another top 6 player to pull that off though? I think they could do it with the current personnel, it’s just a matter of Toews not slowing down Kane and DeBrincat.

DeBrincat-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Hinostroza (he could be pushed down the lineup by a deadline move if team is contending, and his production is lagging behind. But I’d start him in the top 6 to see how it goes.)

If you’re going to move Toews away from a defensive role, I think what you really need to make that work is a new Marcus Kruger to take all the defensive zone starts.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks seem to have three prorities. Top 6 forward to play with Kane or Toews. Top 4 defenseman to play with Keith. Backup goalie. If they can get each of those utilizing cap space, Anisimov, 27th etc, Stan deserves an A for the offseason.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Did Q get fired? He spent an entire season refusing to play Kane and Cat together, he is coaching again next season, what makes anyone think he will be any different?

Reactions: x Tame Impala

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Would they need another top 6 player to pull that off though? I think they could do it with the current personnel, it’s just a matter of Toews not slowing down Kane and DeBrincat.

DeBrincat-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Hinostroza (he could be pushed down the lineup by a deadline move if team is contending, and his production is lagging behind. But I’d start him in the top 6 to see how it goes.)

If you’re going to move Toews away from a defensive role, I think what you really need to make that work is a new Marcus Kruger to take all the defensive zone starts.
Your top 6 is what I would like to see as well. I never understood playing Saad and Toews on the same line. They are redundant.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Debrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-______
_____-Toews-Hinostroza
_____-Kampf-_______

Fill in blanks with Duclair, Sikura, Jurco, Hayden, Edjsell, FAs

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I don't want Debrincat in front of the net, because his best asset is shooting the puck.
I don't want Schmaltz standing in front of the net, because he is best at cycling, and passing the puck.
I don't want Kane in front of the net, because he is our best offensive weapon.

So, who stands in front of the net? Or are we happy with them playing perimeter hockey?

Its the new NHL, there's no need for big a-s-s 6 foot 2, 6 foot 3....player front of the net.
That line would kill teams through speedy rushes, through set up plays, through fore/back checking + counter attack.

Hawks need to change.....i'll rephrase.....Q needs to change his tactics to today's standards.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Its the new NHL, there's no need for big a-s-s 6 foot 2, 6 foot 3....player front of the net.
That line would kill teams through speedy rushes, through set up plays, through fore/back checking + counter attack.

Hawks need to change.....i'll rephrase.....Q needs to change his tactics to today's standards.

I disagree. You still have a huge need for net-front presence... little guys are going to have a hard time setting up screens and establishing that presence in the goalie's face... Especially on the PP.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I did vote yes, however... i'd rather have...

1st ????-Schmaltz-DeBrincat

2nd Sikura-????-Kane
3rd Highmore-Toews-Hinostroza
4th Ejdsell-Anisimov-Hayden

If Duclair can finally get his **** together,
he might be useful with Schmaltz&DeBrincat

If i recall, Duclair-Schmaltz-DeBrincat line worked quite well
for short period of time when they were together, when Duclair first arrived.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

When did I say they need a 6'-2" guy standing in front of the net? They need a guy who will be effective standing in front of the net, who can take the abuse, and who is best utilized in that position. I wouldn't want any of these 3 guys doing that because it doesn't fit their game, and I don't think they would be effective doing it. You can't play perimeter hockey and expect results in the post season, so why bother in the regular season with it?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
When did I say they need a 6'-2" guy standing in front of the net? They need a guy who will be effective standing in front of the net, who can take the abuse, and who is best utilized in that position. I wouldn't want any of these 3 guys doing that because it doesn't fit their game, and I don't think they would be effective doing it. You can't play perimeter hockey and expect results in the post season, so why bother in the regular season with it?

You didn't, i was just trying to a point. That is all.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I disagree. You still have a huge need for net-front presence... little guys are going to have a hard time setting up screens and establishing that presence in the goalie's face... Especially on the PP.

I was thinking that TB’s Triplets line is probably the best case we’ve seen recently for a line of smaller guys coming together and dominating. Ondrej Palat was the biggest guy on that line, and is roughly the same size as Schmaltz.

I can’t remember, though, whether that line did a lot of perimeter hockey or if one of those guys actually had a net-front role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad