Line Combos: DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane first line

Would you commit to this as your first line?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
Offensively it has a lot of potential. I can definitely see the argument for playing Debrincat with Kane in an effort to utilize Debrincat's shot with Kane's playmaking ability.

Defensively could be an adventure.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Offensively it has a lot of potential. I can definitely see the argument for playing Debrincat with Kane in an effort to utilize Debrincat's shot with Kane's playmaking ability.

Defensively could be an adventure.
It will only work if our top 4 in the back REBOUND (whoever they will be) and Crow is back in net 100% healthy.

ProphetofthePuck

Dec 2, 2017
Dealing with 4th line players on a regular basis who would immediately seek to main or injure ....Dealing with heavy first lines .....2nd line yea

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
There's no reason why we shouldn't start the season with them together for at least 5-10 games. DCat earned himself more ice time with his production last year and should be rewarded by playing with better players. His average TOI was about 14:50 last year so imagine him getting another 3-4 minutes playing with Kane. I think this line alone could win some games.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't want Debrincat in front of the net, because his best asset is shooting the puck.
I don't want Schmaltz standing in front of the net, because he is best at cycling, and passing the puck.
I don't want Kane in front of the net, because he is our best offensive weapon.

So, who stands in front of the net? Or are we happy with them playing perimeter hockey?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I would love that line on the power play.

But 5v5 that line needs to be sheltered.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't want Debrincat in front of the net, because his best asset is shooting the puck.
I don't want Schmaltz standing in front of the net, because he is best at cycling, and passing the puck.
I don't want Kane in front of the net, because he is our best offensive weapon.

So, who stands in front of the net? Or are we happy with them playing perimeter hockey?
Brent Seabrook. He's not much help at the blue line anyway :)

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Don’t like the idea of our three best forward passers/playmakers on one line.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Toews is always going to be on the "first line". I always chuckle when someone posts a lineup like...

DBC-Schmaltz-Kane
Hayden-Toews-Saad
Hino-Anisimov-Jurco

...or something like that. 50 point seasons not withstanding, Toews is our 1C until further notice

Reactions: CallMeShaft

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'd actually like Kane to play away from those two. Spread the wealth a bit.

Toews has had some issues over the last few seasons, but most of his wingers haven't helped much. Sure, we got Saad back for him. But look at what a guy like Bergeron (someone who used to be very comparable to Toews when #19 was still good). Bergeron plays with Marchand and Pastranak, two guys who have been at or near a PPG for the last couple years.

Let Toews and Kane reunite. Maybe put Shakira on LW just so he can be in a position to succeed (and having our most veteran forwards as linemates should help ease him in).

DeBrincat and Schmaltz are more than talented enough together to make an awesome scoring line. Maybe put Duclair at RW there in an attempt to get him back to the player he showed glimpses of in Arizona and New York.

Have the third line consisting of Saad at LW and Hino at RW. Like DeBrincat and Schmaltz, Saad and Hino showed great chemistry at times this season. Not to mention that'd make a very fast, very good third line no matter the center (provided we don't bring back Handzus).

Just my two cents.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Dcat-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Hino/Hayden
Hayden/Hino-AA-DuClair
?-?-?

it will be a below average -to-average grouping of forwards... but that is all we have.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If by first line you mean the same offensive zone start heavy, weak competition line that the Kane line has always been, then yes, I'm all in.

That line would have to get as much time away from their own zone as possible though.

It should DEFINITELY be the 1st PP unit though.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If by first line you mean the same offensive zone start heavy, weak competition line that the Kane line has always been, then yes, I'm all in.

That line would have to get as much time away from their own zone as possible though.

It should DEFINITELY be the 1st PP unit though.

Well ya. First line doesn’t mean do what the Toews line does. Ovechkin is a first line forward, and gets roughly 60% zone starts. Not every team uses its first line to shut teams down.

First line in my head means line that sees the most 5v5 ice time.

Last season Kane had nearly 2 more minutes of 5v5 ice-time/gp time as Toews. In fact, Kane has always averaged more 5v5 ice-time/gp than Toews.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Toews is always going to be on the "first line". I always chuckle when someone posts a lineup like...

DBC-Schmaltz-Kane
Hayden-Toews-Saad
Hino-Anisimov-Jurco

...or something like that. 50 point seasons not withstanding, Toews is our 1C until further notice

What’s your measure of first line? I think 5v5 ice-time is the way you measure it, because even strength time is the only time you’re rolling four set lines. PP and PK are special teams time.

With the exception of the Panarin years, Kane and Toews have averaged the most 5v5 toi/gp, but Kane has always averaged more than Toews. If the two are split, the guy with the most time is your centerpiece to the first line — and that’s Kane.

This is arguing semantics because both get first line type time, but Kane always gets more, so people aren’t wrong in calling his line the first line.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Well ya. First line doesn’t mean do what the Toews line does. Ovechkin is a first line forward, and gets roughly 60% zone starts. Not every team uses its first line to shut teams down.

First line in my head means line that sees the most 5v5 ice time.

Last season Kane had nearly 2 more minutes of 5v5 ice-time/gp time as Toews. In fact, Kane has always averaged more 5v5 ice-time/gp than Toews.

That's kind of skewed by the fact that Kane frequently gets double-shifted on other lines, especially when the team is trailing. That's why his EV TOI/GP is not only usually 1-2 minutes ahead of Toews, it's also 1-2 minutes ahead of his most common linemates. During the Panarin years, for example, Toews and Panarin's ice time were almost identical (they were the next highest TOI forwards), it was just Kane was ahead of everybody.

And obviously throwing Kane out there with a 3rd or 4th line doesn't transform that line into a 1st line with him as the centerpiece, it's just trying to give an offensive weapon more time out there with whoever happens to be up next. So it's difficult to argue that those extra minutes he racks up individually, separate from the top six, as evidence that his line is the first line IMO.

In any case, given Toews' struggles to produce the last few seasons, I doubt you'd get much argument calling Kane's line the 1st line these days. Which is fine, I'm just saying the role would have to be consistent with what the Kane line has been since 2013 for this line to work.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That's kind of skewed by the fact that Kane frequently gets double-shifted on other lines, especially when the team is trailing. That's why his EV TOI/GP is not only usually 1-2 minutes ahead of Toews, it's also 1-2 minutes ahead of his most common linemates. During the Panarin years, for example, Toews and Panarin's ice time were almost identical, it was just Kane was ahead of everybody.

And obviously throwing Kane out there with a 3rd or 4th line doesn't transform that line into a 1st line with him as the centerpiece, it's just trying to give an offensive weapon more time out there with whoever happens to be up next. So hard to take those extra minutes he racks up separate from the top six as evidence that his line is the first line IMO.

In any case, given Toews' struggles to produce the last few seasons, I doubt you'd get much argument calling Kane's line the 1st line these days. Which is fine, I'm just saying the role would have to be consistent with what the Kane line has been since 2013 for this line to work.

That makes sense, I don’t know why I didn’t consider that. I got trapped in just looking at the numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad