Line Combos: DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane first line

Would you commit to this as your first line?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I was thinking that TB’s Triplets line is probably the best case we’ve seen recently for a line of smaller guys coming together and dominating. Ondrej Palat was the biggest guy on that line, and is roughly the same size as Schmaltz.

I can’t remember, though, whether that line did a lot of perimeter hockey or if one of those guys actually had a net-front role.

I didn't see enough of TB to know how they played. I just know that net-front presence is still a highly needed part of the NHL. And that won't be changing any time soon. Sure, lines are successful without it, but the majority of the best lines have that guy to stand in front, screen the goalie, crash rebounds, and take a beating from defenders.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
When did I say they need a 6'-2" guy standing in front of the net? They need a guy who will be effective standing in front of the net, who can take the abuse, and who is best utilized in that position. I wouldn't want any of these 3 guys doing that because it doesn't fit their game, and I don't think they would be effective doing it. You can't play perimeter hockey and expect results in the post season, so why bother in the regular season with it?

My point was; there is no need for one player standing front of the net, no matter of his size, stature.
Well....obviously its about what offensive zone tactic's you use to create a scoring chance.

I'd use skating&checking,more skating and checking,relentless way, high and low pressure,
tic-tac-toe play's off the rush with players close together,other off the rush play's, corner play's,
cross the ice plays.

I would never use this; pass the puck to d-man in blue line, d-man sends the puck to the net,
net presence either blocks the goalies view or looks for redirects, or both,
that is the most effing dumb,ancient,utter boring,easy way out tactic i can think of, i hate it
ive always hated and i always will, its anti-hockey, basically... attempt to cheat.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My point was; there is no need for one player standing front of the net, no matter of his size, stature.
Well....obviously its about what offensive zone tactic's you use to create a scoring chance.

I'd use skating&checking,more skating and checking,relentless way, high and low pressure,
tic-tac-toe play's off the rush with players close together,other off the rush play's, corner play's,
cross the ice plays.

I would never use this; pass the puck to d-man in blue line, d-man sends the puck to the net,
that is the most effing dumb,ancient,utter boring,easy way out tactic i can think of, i hate it
ive always hated and i always will, its anti-hockey, basically... attempt to cheat.

Generating offense from your D with point shots is ridiculous and "cheating" ???

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I’m missing your point then

I'm pretty sure his point was that Vegas isn't a small team. The same point I was trying to make. He was being snide in the fact that George considered Vegas to be a small team. At least that's how I see it.

Because of this interaction, I believe.

I disagree. You still have a huge need for net-front presence... little guys are going to have a hard time setting up screens and establishing that presence in the goalie's face... Especially on the PP.

Golden Knights don't....just saying :)

Reactions: clydesdale line

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'm pretty sure his point was that Vegas isn't a small team. The same point I was trying to make. He was being snide in the fact that George considered Vegas to be a small team. At least that's how I see it.

I guess. Leafer called Vegas a small team without big net-front guys, Clydesdale asked how that worked for them in the finals.

Maybe I’m just reading it wrong

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Wasn't meant to be one. Was just taking a bit of a shot at Leafer for saying Vegas is a small team yet in the end, it was the "bigger" Capitals that won it all but the size thing isn't true anyways.

Makes sense you were just trying to get under his skin, but like you said the size thing wasn’t true. Knights beat the much larger Jets to get to the final.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
They will be hemmed on their own zone fishing pucks out of our net...no responsible defending or size on that line...FAIL! Next idea?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

cross the ice plays.

Ok you need to explain why you think this.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
They will be hemmed on their own zone fishing pucks out of our net...no responsible defending or size on that line...FAIL! Next idea?

Tampa’s Triplets line was this small, and they were dominant.

Tampa continues to roll out small lines.

The Johnson-Point-Gourde line had a 57% Corsi when it played together. Point is the biggest guy on that line at 5’10” and 180.

Size doesn’t equal defense.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Brent Seabrook. He's not much help at the blue line anyway :)

He can actually hit a 4x6 from the blueline...something the other guy wearing the A hasn't been able to do in years.

The only issue I have with Seabrook on the PP is that his speed hurts if the opposition gets behind him...which is far less of a worry when Keith can't unleash his shin-seeking missiles. Other than that I'm fine with him there.

As for the combo...why not? Worst thing that happens is that it doesn't work--and how is that different than everything last year except the goaltending through Christmas eve?

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
He can actually hit a 4x6 from the blueline...something the other guy wearing the A hasn't been able to do in years.

The only issue I have with Seabrook on the PP is that his speed hurts if the opposition gets behind him...which is far less of a worry when Keith can't unleash his shin-seeking missiles. Other than that I'm fine with him there.

As for the combo...why not? Worst thing that happens is that it doesn't work--and how is that different than everything last year except the goaltending through Christmas eve?
Shin seeking missles :laugh:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if we are able to go out and get help in free agency, say Riley Nash and Paul Stastny, then hell yes, make that line happen...we will have enough depth to make up for it. or you can even spread things out a bit to look even better depending on what we do with Arn Anderson -AA...throw a pick in with Hossa contract and move that out, and this could be the team we rock next yer...we can sign, Stastny, Nash, and Moore with our available cap if we move Hoss contract out - that would give us around $15mil to spend after resigning RFA guys..

Brandon Saad - Jonathan Toews - Nick Schmaltz
Alex DeBrincat - Paul Stastny - Patrick Kane
Vinnie Hinostrozza - Artem Anisimov - Riley Nash
John Hayden - David Kampf - Dylan Sikura

Duncan Keith - Henri Jokiharju
John Moore - Jan Rutta
Connor Murphy - Brent Seabrook
Gus Forsling

Crow
Forsberg

that my friends is a f***ing playoff team!

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
if we are able to go out and get help in free agency, say Riley Nash and Paul Stastny, then hell yes, make that line happen...we will have enough depth to make up for it. or you can even spread things out a bit to look even better depending on what we do with Arn Anderson -AA...throw a pick in with Hossa contract and move that out, and this could be the team we rock next yer...we can sign, Stastny, Nash, and Moore with our available cap if we move Hoss contract out - that would give us around $15mil to spend after resigning RFA guys..

John Moore - Jan Rutta
Gus Forsling

Crow
Forsberg

that my friends is a ****ing playoff team!

Keith and the Joker would be a disaster--much like with Keith and Leddy were a thing. I haven't seen much of Moore's play but if he's a stay-at-home Hjalmarsson type then swap him and Keith.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Keith and the Joker would be a disaster--much like with Keith and Leddy were a thing. I haven't seen much of Moore's play but if he's a stay-at-home Hjalmarsson type then swap him and Keith.
Joker is nothing like Leddy, and Moore is not a stay at home defensemen...not even close. Moore's game is dictated off of speed, he gets pucks out of the zone, but Q would have to allow him to skate it out like he has been doing for years lol!!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

John Moore - Jan Rutta
Gus Forsling

Crow
Forsberg

Fine with the forward lines.

I think you are really, really sleeping on Forsling.

Kid is 20-21 and has shown really good he can be now it is just about consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad