Speculation: DeBrincat and Strome

Who would you keep?

• Total voters

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
for me i got to wait out the season and you know what, this season is not a season to judge any players.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would keep both

Hawks dont have depth at C to justify moving on from Strome and one bad year does not warrant souring on Debrincat

I would like to see Hawks find a capable 2 way winger to ride with them on a line

I still want to see a prolonged Saad-Strome-Debrincat line

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I question whether either of these guys are building blocks. Both are good players but I don't think either are franchise changing talents. They're both 2nd liners on a good team imo.
DeBrincat is more than a 2nd line winger. Sure, he's struggled a bit this season, but since he entered the league in the 17-18 season, he's 52nd in points for forwards and 25th in goals. Now his defense isn't anything to write home about, but it's not bad enough to bump him down to 2nd line status. Not to mention, I'm including his rookie year in my figures, while most of the guys above him are way more established guys.

But if I had to chose between Cat or Strome, it's easily Cat. There isn't another guy 23yo or younger in this organization who can do what he can, nor is there a winger that age or younger as good as him. Dach is inching closer to Strome's level at only 18, and both Kurashev and Barratt could do a good job as a middle six center.

If the right offer is made, I'd be open to trading Strome. But the offer would have to excite me or I'll bitch and complain quite a bit.

Edit: Okay, OKR. You caught my flub. Congratulations.

Last edited:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Hawks have no depth especially at C so kind of have to keep both

But the Hawks will be sellers. Strome is the obvious one

Cat is arguably the most disappointing player in the NHL this season. On pace for 17 goals after a 41 goal season.

But he’s shown he can put up those big numbers and true scores like that don’t grow on trees. Tough to replace

Strome is slow, is weak at the dot and disappears. I think I just describe Anisomov. At least AA parked his arse in front of the net.

I would bet that Strome, Nylander and Gus are all gone at the trade deadline.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hawks have no depth especially at C so kind of have to keep both

But the Hawks will be sellers. Strome is the obvious one

Cat is arguably the most disappointing player in the NHL this season. On pace for 17 goals after a 41 goal season.

But he’s shown he can put up those big numbers and true scores like that don’t grow on trees. Tough to replace

Strome is slow, is weak at the dot and disappears. I think I just describe Anisomov. At least AA parked his arse in front of the net.

I would bet that Strome, Nylander and Gus are all gone at the trade deadline.
No depth at C? I don't know about that.

Toews is coming on and looking like a top 6 guy again. Not Selke worthy and not $10.5m worthy, but a top 6 center all the same. Dach's been maturing throughout the season and a year or two from now and he'd likely be a top 6 center.

Then you have 20yo Kurashev being the Hogs best center and Evan Barratt looking like a good future 3C. Hawks have as much depth at center as the majority of the teams in this league.

I do agree with the rest of your post though. Save for Nylander being traded; think we might be better off hoping he figures it out instead of trading him for scraps.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Right.......... and Dach is soooo much better, right?.
If i had to choose from Strome and Dach, i would choose Strome.

Strome is a proven NHL:er, 1st/2nd line center, Dach is only 18 and so far hasn't been that great in his rookie season
to change my mind which one to keep at the moment, to build on.

What comes to Brinksy.... on a bad "bender" that is all, 1000% certain he will recover sooner or later this season.
- an obvious franchise building block, future 50+ G 100+ P player, Stanley Cup winner.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Strome is a proven NHL:er, 1st/2nd line center, Dach is only 18 and so far hasn't been that great in his rookie season

What comes to Brinksy.... on a bad "bender" that is all, 1000% certain he will recover sooner or later this season.
- an obvious franchise building block, future 50+ G 100+ P player, Stanley Cup winner.
Dach is outpacing Strome's 18yo season when he didn't have a single NHL game, Strome's 19yo season when he had a single point in 7 games, and arguably Strome's 3rd season as well. All the while Dach has been a better player defensively.

Strome was not a good 3rd overall pick. There are arguably 7 guys picked in the top 10 in 2015 who are better players. Dach still has a solid chance to be one of the best players in this draft class.

Like you said, Strome is a 1st/2nd line center, in the mold of a Ryan Johansen. There is reason to believe that Dach will be a notch or two better of a player than that.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Your delusion is borderline psychopathic.

“Obvious 50+ goal, 100+ point player”

Okay, dude.

And you’d trade Dach in order to keep Strome, if it came down to that?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Strome is just horrible, Cat is good but too small but put with the right teammates and a good coach he can be really good. Schmaltz-Strome trade is just gonna look stupider as time goes on

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017

George idek what to say to you most of the time. This is one of the most nonsensical posts ive seen in a while.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Keep both.

Strome is our 1C until Kirby can take the mantle, and once he does Strome is still our 2C because it sure as hell won't be Toews by then. Without Strome, the top 6 suffers.

I've hated watching Cat this year, but he was a joy to watch the past two seasons. One down year is not indicative of the kind of player he is.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I question whether either of these guys are building blocks. Both are good players but I don't think either are franchise changing talents. They're both 2nd liners on a good team imo.
How many second liners have forty goal seasons before they turned 22 in today’s game?

Strome is a flawed but talented player. Long term I think he’s better suited at wing because he’s just not very good defensively. He’s also very soft and not a great skater. Very much feels like a guy that sticks around the league awhile but he’s not a franchise building block. TJ Oshie type, and I love Oshie.

Cat is ice cold, but his talent is game breaking. Strome is a guy who can create half or quarter chances for others. Cat is a guy who can turn half or quarter chances into goals that also brings some feistiness. One or the other, the choice is crystal clear.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Keep both.

Strome is our 1C until Kirby can take the mantle, and once he does Strome is still our 2C because it sure as hell won't be Toews by then. Without Strome, the top 6 suffers.

I've hated watching Cat this year, but he was a joy to watch the past two seasons. One down year is not indicative of the kind of player he is.
Strome needs to out produce Toews one year while being a shell of the all around player disinterested Toews is before you can begin to say he’s our 1C.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How many second liners have forty goal seasons before they turned 22 in today’s game?

Strome is a flawed but talented player. Long term I think he’s better suited at wing because he’s just not very good defensively. He’s also very soft and not a great skater. Very much feels like a guy that sticks around the league awhile but he’s not a franchise building block. TJ Oshie type, and I love Oshie.

Cat is ice cold, but his talent is game breaking. Strome is a guy who can create half or quarter chances for others. Cat is a guy who can turn half or quarter chances into goals that also brings some feistiness. One or the other, the choice is crystal clear.
I question whether DeBrincat will ever reach anywhere close to the level of his first 2 seasons. Look at what's happening to all small players except Patrick Kane. League wide, these smurfy players are having down seasons. Is it possible that the league has caught up to them? Gaudreau and DeBrincat are having similar seasons.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I question whether DeBrincat will ever reach anywhere close to the level of his first 2 seasons. Look at what's happening to all small players except Patrick Kane. League wide, these smurfy players are having down seasons. Is it possible that the league has caught up to them? Gaudreau and DeBrincat are having similar seasons.
Calgary is a bad team this year, and the Hawks are a worse team than our previous two seasons, despite much better goaltending.

Put them on better teams and they'd produce better.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
So league wide, or just Cat and Gaudreau?

Reactions: Dividejoy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad