Post-Game Talk: Debbies @ The Powerhouse (7:00pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Okay, so which one of you has that crystal ball? Give it back!

Might be the best ever, and will have a better idea years later.
Might NOT have that McDavid, bug then again...we don't KNOW that, one way or the other.
Put it this way.......I am NO expert, but I side with this draft having but 3 or 4 in the 1st that DON'T make it good, and there will be some good finds.......rounds 2-5.

This NHL is getting more talented by the year. Out with the old dinosaurs (like me) that the game is too speedy for. Once good players, but the game has passed them by. Eventually these kids will be the new dinosaurs that can adapt to the speed of the game much better.

Crystal ball? I'm obviously evaluating it based on the info we have now, i never use hindsight in evaluations… It's not projecting to be a high end draft.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
giphy (1).gif
giphy.gif

At least in the olden days (with ties.....said to be like kissing your sister)

Now, its more like incest, you want it, but you really shouldn't.

Reactions: Larrybiv

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So who are we taking 12th?

Meanwhile, LA has won 2 cups, beat us, and is on the way to getting Kakko.

Its the early 2000s all over again.
This is not something that is going to happen overnight. This rebuild is not going to be a success because they finished low. The two things they need to do are scout well and maintain a responsible financial structure. We have a ton of picks and nobody really signed to a stupid contract. Don't waste picks and don't waste cap space. If we can manage to do that we will be in good shape no matter where we draft.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
The sheer quantity of first and second round picks we've had and will have this year and probably next year will hopefully outweigh not getting a chance to pick top 3. It's unprecedented almost... can't remember the last time another team had 5-6 first round picks over just two drafts. And strong drafts at that

It sucks that we don't suck as much as some of the other teams this year, but it is what it is. I'm not subscribing to the theory that we're headed towards mediocrity again as we've never had a farm system this stacked with high upside players. Kravstov, Miller and Shesterkin are some of the best prospects in the world (in terms of upside) at their position. Nab one of the acclaimed centers this draft and we should be in pretty damn good position to compete in a year or two

Reactions: belford222

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I much prefer Vlad to Miller.

Agree. Came here to post this. And that’s based on almost a full season worth of games. He generates more offensive opportunities even if he does not score as much. This assessment might be challenged, but what’s undoubtedly clear is that Namestnikov is incomparably better defensively and actually can play center if needed. He’s also a pest. Give me Namestnikov at $4 over Miller at $5.5 in NY salary any day!

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
If we can manage to do that we will be in good shape no matter where we draft.

I'd like to believe that, but then i look at whos won the cup over the last 10 years, and each team has one, if not two players, picked in the top-5. WAS (Backstrom/Ovi), PIT (Crosby/Malkin), CHI (Towes/Kane), LA (Doughty).

Then i look at who's looking like they are winning this year, and its TB (Stamkos/Hedman).

In the modern NHL, its real hard to not win a cup with one of these types of players/picks.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
You're not going to develop a winning culture or a losing one based off of 15 games in March/April.

They need to hit the skids hard right about now.

A winning culture is about always trying to win. Taking 15 games off for a higher draft pick flies in the face of that and is detrimental to the team believing in itself. You can’t pick and choose.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I'd like to believe that, but then i look at whos won the cup over the last 10 years, and each team has one, if not two players, picked in the top-5. WAS (Backstrom/Ovi), PIT (Crosby/Malkin), CHI (Towes/Kane), LA (Doughty).

Then i look at who's looking like they are winning this year, and its TB (Stamkos/Hedman).
In the modern NHL, its real hard to not win a cup with one of these types of players/picks.
It's the Stanley Cup. It's never been easy to win. Just remember, it's a lottery even if you're dead last. No guarantees. Do things the right way. If you had the types of players who would lay down for a better draft pick, then they're not the guys I want on my team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This in combination with your Jack Hughes takes….. Might be top 10 garbage takes i've seen, this draft isn't Close to being "best draft ever", it's average at best imo. And Jack Hughes (while my #2) has a really high hockey IQ and saying he's just fast is just ridiculous.
When Hughes is nothing more than a 65 point player, I'll remember you said that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think he's got some amazing abilities and I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up an outstanding player.

That said, as much as I try to see it, I just don't see a player who processes at a high level.

He does a lot of stupid shit at his level like passing and skating straight into opponents because he has the skill and he can. Professional defenders are going to eat that alive.

And the times it doesn't work, I've noticed a tendency to freeze.

Reactions: egelband

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The sheer quantity of first and second round picks we've had and will have this year and probably next year will hopefully outweigh not getting a chance to pick top 3. It's unprecedented almost... can't remember the last time another team had 5-6 first round picks over just two drafts. And strong drafts at that

It sucks that we don't suck as much as some of the other teams this year, but it is what it is. I'm not subscribing to the theory that we're headed towards mediocrity again as we've never had a farm system this stacked with high upside players. Kravstov, Miller and Shesterkin are some of the best prospects in the world (in terms of upside) at their position. Nab one of the acclaimed centers this draft and we should be in pretty damn good position to compete in a year or two

not picking in the top 3 does not outweigh picking in the top 3 in regard to stanley cup level talent. Unless they will be picking in the top 3 next year.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
When Hughes is nothing more than a 65 point player, I'll remember you said that.

Never seen him play, but if he's a 65-point player, he's a primary asset, as opposed to a secondary one, and wouldn't that be nice to see in a Rangers uniform.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Never seen him play, but if he's a 65-point player, he's a primary asset, as opposed to a secondary one, and wouldn't that be nice to see in a Rangers uniform.
I mean, sure, I would take him.

Hell, I probably still have him second behind Kakko.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Ryan Strome picked #5 and Mika Zibanajad picked #6 so that's pretty close, I assume I can start planning the parade? Furthermore Rick Nash picked at number 1 and Derek Brassard at 6. It guarantees nothing. Better players have been picked later in the drafts, our scouts have to find them. Lots of teams every year lose with 2 or 3 top 5 picks, Edmonton, Buffalo, Colorado, New Jersey etc.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kreider-Zibanejad-Whoever has been a legit first line for awhile. Maybe not one of the best first lines but definitely a first line.

Zibanejad needs a playmaker

The line definitely needs another element.
Zibanejad is a shooter and Kreider is the meat and potatoes. They need the passer.

Hmm if only there was some resting b****-faced playmaker who had good chemistry with the two

Boo Nieves.

After 10pp, had to just address the above and get back to the real world.
I am grateful for the comments, unlike a lot of the rest of the board, which has been leaving me out to dry.

As I elaborate below, this is not exactly what I called for.
But there is enough to see that this was a sound premise.

The synergy is real

Not quite, but we are inching closer.

If nothing else tonight, I'm going to **** myself if the Rangers score a goal in which both Nieves and Kreider get points.
No risk of that for either of us.
Inexplicably, an assumption is Kreider is the 1LW, whoever plays that pivot is the 1C; Quinn has put him on 4th line, and is using Nieves at W, when HC is on record admitting he is a natural C.

Bern is now giving Quinn advice.
Not quite.
I said:
-- practice, familiarization first to establish chemistry prerequisite to synergy;
-- Kreider - Nieves and the correct 1RW.
In our current circumstances, that should be Zib, but they can try Chytil.

oh almost Boo & Kreider synergy. :)
close
I think he gave them like 3 shifts and min mins with Boo not where I advised, and without a scorer.

Coach said he prefers Andersson at C [not compared to Nieves, but as opposed to Lias on W]. That is killing this, along with keeping Nieves at 4th line.

However, a couple of times Boo did his poor man's Kreider impression busting down he sideline getting off a nice shot. But no finishers to bury it.

this ends when Krav is here next season
until then, one can hope.

Reactions: Ori

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
pls elaborate/explain if appropriate
Was directed at me last night around the time the devils had a 2-0 lead. Probably due to the fact i've been proclaiming for months now we are better than NJ and that the Devils are the worst team in hockey (besides poor Ottawa lol). He probably should have waited until the end of the game ;)

Reactions: NCRanger

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lol he's alive and well.

He's just been the head of the "OMGZ THE RANJUZ ARE THE BEST WORST TEAM EVARR" train.

I thought he may have exploded once the Devils went up 2-0.
Nah i was certain that garbage team would give up the lead and barely come close to scoring another goal. I didn't get home until mid second period otherwise for sure I would have seen your comment and responded accordingly :thumbu:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad