Post-Game Talk: Debbies @ The Powerhouse (7:00pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Oilers, Sabres, and Avalanche are drowning in top picks and elite players. What are those teams doing?

You have to build a roster from top to bottom. We're doing it the right away. If we have another top 10 pick this year and then another one in 2020 and come up empty, then the front office failed and it was never happening anyway.
The core of the issue with teams like Ottawa, Buffalo, and Edmonton is horrible management that isn't backed up by their ownership.

Edmonton has been a clusterf*** this whole decade, even with McDavid. Horrific front office management (trades and free agent signings) and drafting outside of the 1st round is what did them in.

Buffalo has had ownership issues and a revolving door of GM's. They're finally on the right path, I think. But nothing is happening this year.

Ottawa has an incompetent front office and horrific ownership. Their issues only really just started, however. They're in for a world of hurt until the next lockout.

Sakic is doing the right thing in Colorado. I wouldn't lump them in with the others. Matter of time before they're in the thick of things again, IMO.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is not a McDavid-type draft.

This draft is similar to 2017 in the sense that the top 2 picks aren't leaps and bounds ahead of the field. Except it's way better than 2017 in overall quality.

We can definitely get a franchise player in the lower half of the top 10.

Reactions: leetch99

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

This draft is similar to 2017 in the sense that the top 2 picks aren't leaps and bounds ahead of the field. Except it's way better than 2017 in overall quality.

Kaako absolutely obliterates Patrick and is definitely more hyped than Hischier.

And he’s #2.

They may not be McDavid, but they can definitely be a Stamkos/Doughty type deal.

I agree that we can get an excellent player likely from our spot but Hughes/Kaako would change this team.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

This draft is so whack we shouldn’t even pick.

And with the 11th pick, the Rangers are proud to...NOT PICK SHIT! Enjoy yo illusions normies...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kaako absolutely obliterates Patrick and is definitely more hyped than Hischier.

And he’s #2.

I agree that we can get an excellent player likely from our spot but Hughes/Kaako would change this team.
Hughes and Kakko are definitely better than Hischier and Patrick (although Pettersson should have been 1OA and I take him over all four of those guys together).

But my thing is, I could feasibly see -let's say- Dylan Cozens being the best player out of this draft in 10 years. Whereas in other drafts, we pretty much know at age 16 who the best player or best two players in the draft will be.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
They really hurt the franchises ability to acquire an elite player and increase their chances of winning a Stanley Cup by winning any remaining games to be honest. It is strategically stupid and I don't want to hear any bull**** that says otherwise. It has been proven you need elite players to win the cup and we dont ****ing have any. I am so mad.
Like, bench Zibanejad and Kreider and DeAngelo?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
"Injuries" I guess :dunno:

But I don't wanna play like that.
I’m trying to get the Tank Proponents to explain how this team can actually Tank. I’m fine with a Tank in theory but it’s just not as easily done than said. Although the Knicks are doing something special, I must say. (Kissing my fingers like a chef).

Reactions: NCRanger

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only move you could argue we could have made is trading Kreider.

It was a terrible market so moving Vesey or Namestnikov for next to nothing wouldn't have made sense.

We can't trade Zibanejad. He's signed through 2022 on arguably the best contract in the league. If we still suck in 2021-22, we've got bigger problems.

And then Kreider proceeded to suck anyway and you saw what happened, so if you wanna deal a guy that important to the team for a better shot at a draft pick, you're braver than I am.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m trying to get the Tank Proponents to explain how this team can actually Tank. I’m fine with a Tank in theory but it’s just not as easily done than said. Although the Knicks are doing something special, I must say. (Kissing my fingers like a chef).
We've done everything possible in the trade market. The team, as constructed, couldn't be worse. We are what we are.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
He'll be a good player, not a great player.

Next in line of "he's fast and that's pretty much it."

Very poor hockey IQ. Panics if he's not a on a breakaway.

I just don't see it. Never did.

Wow, I'm actually stunned if you're being serious here. This is McIlrath > Fowler all over again

If you can't see the offensive IQ and vision the kid has, I don't know what to tell you. The player you are describing is Toby Reider/Michael Grabner/Carl Hagelin

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wow, I'm actually stunned if you're being serious here. This is McIlrath > Fowler all over again

If you can't see the offensive IQ and vision the kid has, I don't know what to tell you. The player you are describing is Toby Reider/Michael Grabner/Carl Hagelin
I have literally never seen him play well. We're talking maybe a dozen times.

Maybe I just happened to catch his 12 worst games, stranger things have happened.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
We've done everything possible in the trade market. The team, as constructed, couldn't be worse. We are what we are.
Yep. Fact is, a well-coached team will find ways to compete. And Gorton has acquired/drafted a lot of productive players, so they’re winning.
The only way to Tank is to sit players or stop acquiring good ones. The former is pretty garbage and the latter would be insane.
It’s what it is. This team is destined to be pretty good. Hopefully they can find gems picking a little later to get them over the hump.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

Yeah, I can't really fault the team. In the past 13+ months they've traded the following guys: Nash, Holden, Grabner, Miller, McDonagh, Zuccarello, McQuaid, and Hayes. I mean they tore this f***ing thing to the ground. There's really not much more they could realistically do short of trading Kreider which you can't do just for the sole purpose of tanking. Team's playing hard and the coach seems to be getting through to them. It's frustrating to see them pick up points the way they are but it is what it is. Just hope the ping pong balls fall their way.

And tonight isn't the type of loss I get mad at because the Devils are icing an AHL team and the Rangers fully throttled them. They deserved to win and got the 2 points. I get infuriated when they scratch out points against teams like the Lightning and Capitals who have the talent to skate circles around them. It drives me up the wall.

Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad