Post-Game Talk: Death by Powerplay. 4-2 Leafs Lose

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Bernier has lost confidence in himself and I think the players have taken notice--his goal support might have something to do with. I think the players would rather prefer playing in front of a hotshot goalie from the minors than for Bernier. Confidence in your goaltender allows you to take those extra risks.
---
DP had a quiet 2-point night tonight as well.

Regarding the goal support. I'm not saying that confidence in your goaltending can't be a factor. But from what I remember, the difference in goal support between Bernier and Reimer is as big as the difference between a high octane offense in this league and the more mediocre teams.

It should be obvious that it's nowhere near the whole answer, otherwise we should just spend tons of money on a goaltender that always gives our players confidence and skip things like actual talented forwards, as that apparently gives a smaller bump in production.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
wasn't a great performance from bernier but game wasn't completely his fault...

the caps were just hot

Caps were playing 3 in 4 nights and looked like it.

I had great seats last night and talked to Trotz between periods. What a great down to earth guy. Like Babcock, he's brought accountability to that team.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Exactly....his positioning on the first and fourth goals was porous. The second goal was 99% the defenseman's fault but the way the player misfired on it but still managed so score was tough also.

he made 1 save out of 3 high danger shots, and 6 saves out of 8 medium danger shots.

the leafs limited the caps amazingly well.

basically the caps scored on almost every excellent chance they got, and scored a healthy amount of average scoring chances.

you're not going to win too many games that way.

Reimer may be letting in the occasional stinker still - however he's stopping the vast majority of the high danger scoring chances against.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Funny, because he's said pretty much exactly what you want here.

Reminds me of my dad when we were kids.

Couldn't find his sun glasses. Got a little upset thinking that we were hiding them on him.

The voice was rising until we pointed out that they were on the brim of his cap.

"Oh," he said, "Well, don't even think about hiding them next time."

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
That Caps team is just a real fun team to watch. Be nice to see them go somewhere in the playoffs while we get Auston.

Looking closely at our team, I think what we need more than anything is exactly what Bernier is bringing us, a weak goaltender.

We have just enough talent that a great goaltender could get us high enough to miss out on this guy. Reimer of course has been standing on his head, AS HAS Neuvirth who leads the NHL in save percentage.

If Reimer were to somehow keep this insane level of play up, yeah, he will be the trivia answer to why didn't we get Auston Matthews.

Reading what Marc Crawford just said about Matthews makes me want him almost as badly as I wanted McDavid last year. He says he is better than all the great players he has had, at the same age. He has had Forsberg, the two Sedins, Sakic etc...

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I was at the game last night. I wanted to be wrong about Bernier, but as I suspected, he sucked the life out of the Leafs after they had outplayed the Caps for most of the game.

I know it's a roster of place holders for the most part and that this season is a foregone conclusion, but it's still infuriating to watch the team lose when they outplay one of the best teams in the conference because of 3 soft goals.

Bernier's done here. If he ever gets his confidence back, I think it's going to have to be with another organization. For whatever reason, he's lost it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Exactly....his positioning on the first and fourth goals was porous. The second goal was 99% the defenseman's fault but the way the player misfired on it but still managed so score was tough also.

Bernier played the puck wrong as well. Instead of directing it to the corner or to safety, he made an awkward pressured play.

I think Bernier thinks he is so good he can cheat on the simple stuff. It's always the little things he screws up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was at the game last night. I wanted to be wrong about Bernier, but as I suspected, he sucked the life out of the Leafs after they had outplayed the Caps for most of the game.

I know it's a roster of place holders for the most part and that this season is a foregone conclusion, but it's still infuriating to watch the team lose when they outplay one of the best teams in the conference because of 3 soft goals.

Bernier's done here. If he ever gets his confidence back, I think it's going to have to be with another organization. For whatever reason, he's lost it.

His last 2 starts have been awful. Given a chance to really rise up to the occasion and he crapped the bed again.

Soft goals happen but at some point, Bernier has to be on point. I think he's only had one or two solid to good games. The rest have been awful and saddled with bad goals.

I don't know how Babcock can go back to him anytime soon. I assume if Reimer can't go Monday he'll go to Bernier again for Monday... but... I hope he really sits him out for a long time to figure out his game. I don't know if he's "done" here quite yet since his contract extends past this season. We need him to figure it out.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Bernier: 0-8-1, .888
Reimer: 7-3-4, .934

Bernier has 1 win in the last 19 appearances.

I don't know how anyone can think for one split second that Reimer is an inferior goaltender to Bernier. This is the same team, people. The difference in results is goaltending. If it was just lack of goal support, then Bernier would have more than 1 OTL.

Of course, we knew the Bernier trade was ****ing garbage the season it happened: Bernier put up .922 in 14GP in '12-13, while Scrivens followed up in the same duty with a .931 in 19GP. Again, we're talking about the same team. The difference is skill. Bernier is less skilled than Scrivens. And Scrivens is playing in the AHL.

We traded down from a real student of the game and Cornell educated backup to an idiot who didn't know who Nelson Mandela was.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Bernier is not athletic enough to make up for how short he is compared to other goaltenders.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Goal 2nd shot of 1st period.
Goal 1st shot of 2nd period.

If there was an over/under for shots when the 1st goal of the period was scored, you would make a killing going under when Bernier's in net.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
With a loss to the Oil we're in a position for Chycrun.
Can Misters Truculence and Trievling do anything in their burg.

Bernier is going through a rough spot, but I would look to deal him at the TDL, if he can't do the job (i.e. raise his value)
I admit part of me was hoping for a blowout, early.
Just don't rush JR, like Price.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Bernier: 0-8-1, .888
Reimer: 7-3-4, .934

Bernier has 1 win in the last 19 appearances.

I don't know how anyone can think for one split second that Reimer is an inferior goaltender to Bernier. This is the same team, people. The difference in results is goaltending. If it was just lack of goal support, then Bernier would have more than 1 OTL.

Of course, we knew the Bernier trade was ****ing garbage the season it happened: Bernier put up .922 in 14GP in '12-13, while Scrivens followed up in the same duty with a .931 in 19GP. Again, we're talking about the same team. The difference is skill. Bernier is less skilled than Scrivens. And Scrivens is playing in the AHL.

We traded down from a real student of the game and Cornell educated backup to an idiot who didn't know who Nelson Mandela was.

There was a time where Bernier looked like the real deal. It's not like he's never played well.

But ya... no wins in the last 19 starts... that's crazy bad. He's just horrible right now. I kind of doubt that he'll be able to turn things around from the looks of things... at least not as a Leaf.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
With a loss to the Oil we're in a position for Chycrun.
Can Misters Truculence and Trievling do anything in their burg.

Bernier is going through a rough spot, but I would look to deal him at the TDL, if he can't do the job (i.e. raise his value)
I admit part of me was hoping for a blowout, early.
Just don't rush JR, like Price.

That wouldn't be too bad. :)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Add: After they potted two freebies.

You mean after the defense made two stupid mistakes. Phaneuf even took full responsibility for that first goal after that awful pinch, and nobody whom actually saw the 2nd goal would blame Bernier for Rielly's terrible giveaway.

But of course, Leafs fans are quick to burn anyone at the stake and make them responsible for our losses. I've done it too. But in this case (as it has been in pretty much all of our losses), it's not just one person. It was the entire team, or at least a good chunk of it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You mean after the defense made two stupid mistakes. Phaneuf even took full responsibility for that first goal after that awful pinch, and nobody whom actually saw the 2nd goal would blame Bernier for Rielly's terrible giveaway.

But of course, Leafs fans are quick to burn anyone at the stake and make them responsible for our losses. I've done it too. But in this case (as it has been in pretty much all of our losses), it's not just one person. It was the entire team, or at least a good chunk of it.

Bernier made some stops last night, but the first goal wasn't good. Sure it was a shot where there was no screen but it wasn't like Chara had all night to wind up a huge slapper from the hash marks and blast it! ;)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
At 7-11-5, the Leafs are doing way better than I thought they would. Without Babcock, we would be last place.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

If Bernier was playing at an NHL caliber neither of those goals go in. Phaneuf screwed up but Bernier was out of position & let in a sub par shot.

On the second goal Rielly screwed up, but Bernier screwed up first by not controlling a weak dump in, again & leaving a rebound rather than controlling the puck & putting it in a safe location for Rielly.

Last edited:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
If Bernier was playing at an NHL caliber neither of those goals go in. Phaneuf screwed up but Bernier was out of position & let in a sub par shot.

On the second goal Rielly screwed up, but Reimer screwed up first by not controlling a weak dump in, again & leaving a rebound rather than controlling the puck & putting it in a safe location for Rielly.

You do mean Bernier right? I agree with that Ben Scrivens is a better goaltender than Bernier. He can play as a starter on a team like Pittsburgh but Edmonton is notoriously bad for goalies as much as Toronto. Maybe even worse. Sparks really getting the start? WOW

happyaccident

May 14, 2013

Dion did nothing wrong, it was a worthwhile pinch while we were buzzing the net. If you look at the replay, it was Holland with the stupid wtf move giving the puck away with 4 guys deep. Then Dion hurries back and forces a squib shot that should have been stopped. What are you going to say to the D, don't ever pinch? Brutal play by Holland.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
You do mean Bernier right? I agree with that Ben Scrivens is a better goaltender than Bernier. He can play as a starter on a team like Pittsburgh but Edmonton is notoriously bad for goalies as much as Toronto. Maybe even worse. Sparks really getting the start? WOW

Yes, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2