Post-Game Talk: Death by Powerplay. 4-2 Leafs Lose

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Traikos, Gord and Todd are saying that Bernier should sit and Sparks should play.
(and that we shouldn't he hamstrung by contracts, they should send Bernier down and let him work on his game on the Marlies)

I disagree, I think the team would respond to a goaltender that gave them a chance.

For the most part there are mostly flushables on the team, and the last thing we need is an artificially inflated points total base on player overachieving for a young keeper.

If every player was moved, save Rielly, would any Leafs' fan care? Certainly some player fans would react, but players fans <>Leafs fans.

Look at the players who achieved a B rating from the panel and tell me if you really care if they're here next year. As for those who didn't rate a B, flushables.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Remember that time Reimer kept the Leafs in a 7 game winner with the eventual Eastern Conference champions and then everyone said the series was Reimer's fault and gave up picks and a prospect (plus salary) to get a career backup goalie prospect who only had 11 games in an incredibly protected trap system?

And then people said Bernier was good after that, haha, good times.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I disagree, I think the team would respond to a goaltender that gave them a chance.

For the most part there are mostly flushables on the team, and the last thing we need is an artificially inflated points total base on player overachieving for a young keeper.

If every player was moved, save Rielly, would any Leafs' fan care? Certainly some player fans would react, but players fans <>Leafs fans.

Look at the players who achieved a B rating from the panel and tell me if you really care if they're here next year. As for those who didn't rate a B, flushables.

what on earth are you talking about?

they are talking about Bernier should move down, and find his game - so that he can come back and play well (theoretically)

i have no idea what you are talking about though.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
what on earth are you talking about?

they are talking about Bernier should move down, and find his game - so that he can come back and play well (theoretically)

i have no idea what you are talking about though.

You said they were saying they should send Bernier down to work on his game. I disagree. Not complicated if you follow the logic.

I don't want the Leafs to start a goalie who might give the team hope.

Bernier isn't worth worrying about, play him through the tank.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You said they were saying they should send Bernier down to work on his game. I disagree. Not complicated if you follow the logic.

I don't want the Leafs to start a goalie who might give the team hope.

Bernier isn't worth worrying about, play him through the tank.

they still have to play well.

1/2 the team we want to trade, and quite frankly, embracing losing isn't a good atmosphere to have around - even if the only player you care about is Rielly.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
they still have to play well.

1/2 the team we want to trade, and quite frankly, embracing losing isn't a good atmosphere to have around - even if the only player you care about is Rielly.

And the players many want to trade are the ones contributing the most.

So the option is to keep the non-performers? No, move anyone you can get a good asset for.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I just hope they don't do anything stupid with Bernier. If you want to start Sparks on Saturday, all the power to you. However, don't waive Bernier, and still give him a chance to take the job back. Eventually, he's going to find his groove. He's just having a few (5) bad games. Every goalie gets them, and it's not like his team is helping him much to break it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If the Leafs win great, if they lose, great. Honestly, I really don't care how this season goes, as long as Reilly, Jake are being develop. Holland improves his overall game. And they don't trade away prospects and picks for players unless those players are Carey Price or J Toews or Connor McDavid. I am fine with any results.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

Bernier has lost confidence in himself and I think the players have taken notice--his goal support might have something to do with. I think the players would rather prefer playing in front of a hotshot goalie from the minors than for Bernier. Confidence in your goaltender allows you to take those extra risks.
---
DP had a quiet 2-point night tonight as well.

NonisMustGo*

Bernier stinks. I don't know any starters or potential starters that have let in at least two - three absolute stinkers three years in a row. Guy is finished, toast, a relic of a bygone era. Had the Leafs put more faith in Reimer, three years ago, he would have rewarded us sooner.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
I thought Riemer was done after replacing Bernier a couple of years ago (groin injury).

Maybe Beriner will bounce back the same way ... but going forward both these guys are not the answer ...

Depending on which month it is, they can both look like world beaters or Vesa Toskala (though Bernier has been topping Vesa the last few months). LOL

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Reimer's injury might be a silver lining. Let us truly position ourselves for Matthews. Only Colorado should give us a run, they appear to be pretty bad also.

You know Edmonton is still in the league right?

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I think McDavid comes back soon enough and lifts Edmonton past us, he is too good, he was just starting to really round into superstar form when he was chopped down.

As soon as Reimer comes back down to earth, we should be just fine to position ourselves for last place and Auston Matthews. Then Leaf fans might have a bit to get excited about.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Hey I made all 8 stops in the 3rd-Bernier

So just watching the highlights on TSN and Mark Masters report on Bernier and his game. This guy really needs to say to his team, the coaching staff and the media: "I let this team down tonight, i am the reason why we have lost a good number of games this year, I need to be better, I can't play this poorly and expect my coach and team to be confident in me or have him want to put me in"

Each time I hear this guy I continue hear lame ass excuses like "well other goalies have gone through this (Roy)", I made all 8 stops in the third, yada yada. I know these losses are helping us but just hearing him talk to reporters reminds me of the attitude our players had last year and it really rubs me the wrong way. Babcock should have pulled him to start the third.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
Add: After they potted two freebies.

Exactly....his positioning on the first and fourth goals was porous. The second goal was 99% the defenseman's fault but the way the player misfired on it but still managed so score was tough also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad