TV: Deadwood Movie Announced (HBO)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well I did some background reading on the show and didn't realize that a handful of characters were real and Deadwood was/is a real place. I had heard the name Calamity Jane before but didn't know much else about her. Now her character makes more sense. She's still a bit annoying but it would seem the real Jane likely annoyed a lot of people as well.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I will say that Robin Weigert, who plays Jane, is utterly fantastic. She plays the character perfectly, I just found the character herself to be extremely annoying, but I guess that's kinda the point. She pretty much gets on the nerves of every other character on the show.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Great Movie. Great Series. Sad to see it go, but unlike Thrones I actually feel satisfied with the ending.

Reactions: peate

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well I did some background reading on the show and didn't realize that a handful of characters were real and Deadwood was/is a real place. I had heard the name Calamity Jane before but didn't know much else about her. Now her character makes more sense. She's still a bit annoying but it would seem the real Jane likely annoyed a lot of people as well.

This is where most Finns my age know her from:

200px-Ll_calamity_jane.jpg

There was always some historical information attached to the albums so the real Jane became familiar as well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm getting into season 2 and I've softened on Jane a bit. I think the actress was just easing into the character. Helps having all her moments of showing deep compassion in spite of her tough exterior. I guess I like her now.

Really enjoying the show now. Was kinda forcing myself to get through the first three episodes. Really enjoy watching Al, Seth, and Cy's performances.

Was a bit bummed to see Anna Gunn show up to be honest but I know despite how annoying Skylar could be written at times, Gunn played her well. I hope Martha will do more than stare in perpetual stunnedface.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Have no idea how I didn't know about this sooner. Was going through the CRAVE app for the first time in forever and noticed that they made a movie. Gonna have to try watch it tonight.

Really loved the series and really love the history that it forced me to look up because of the show.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm getting into season 2 and I've softened on Jane a bit. I think the actress was just easing into the character. Helps having all her moments of showing deep compassion in spite of her tough exterior. I guess I like her now.

Really enjoying the show now. Was kinda forcing myself to get through the first three episodes. Really enjoy watching Al, Seth, and Cy's performances.

Was a bit bummed to see Anna Gunn show up to be honest but I know despite how annoying Skylar could be written at times, Gunn played her well. I hope Martha will do more than stare in perpetual stunnedface.

Jane is a character that grows on you as the show progresses. She's absolutely annoying and over the top, but that's also because she's trying to be one of the guys in a time and place where that simply wasn't done. She's an outcast with an immense sense loyalty and compassion, so she just keeps trying and keeps coming back into the fold.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Jane is a character that grows on you as the show progresses. She's absolutely annoying and over the top, but that's also because she's trying to be one of the guys in a time and place where that simply wasn't done. She's an outcast with an immense sense loyalty and compassion, so she just keeps trying and keeps coming back into the fold.
I don't think they did a good enough job of showing that early on. With few exceptions she was mostly treated amicably by the characters in the show. Especially Hickock and Utter early on (but then again they rode into town together.) I mean the worst example I can think of where she was looked at as a woman in a man's world was early on (I think the pilot) when she's trying to get people to go look for Sophia and no one does and they laugh at her when she angrily claims she's the only one with balls.

Though I'll say this, one of the funniest parts for me so far is when the guy that Cy left in the woods to die with smallpox kept saying "I apologize" and she tells him she'll get him some water but only if he stops apologizing. After a bit of a pause, again he goes "I apologize" and Jane yells back "shut the f*** up!"

I was laughing pretty damn hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: les Habs

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Yep lots of rich history around Deadwood itself and the characters some fun reads if you have time

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I've been to Wild Bill and Calamity Jane's graves, but never did get up to Seth Bullock's (it's a pretty decent hike up a hill).

Really? That’s cool. I visited Wild Bills a LONG time ago and I didn’t know/didn’t care who he was at the time. We had an interesting experience as we could smell what seemed like tobacco smoke despite just 4 of us being there

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

You didn't know it was based upon real people?

The real life Bullock was far more interesting then in the series. His relationship with Teddy Rosevelt is interesting.

The writers played heavily with facts and the time line, much like Boardwalk empire.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You didn't know it was based upon real people?

The real life Bullock was far more interesting then in the series. His relationship with Teddy Rosevelt is interesting.

The writers played heavily with facts and the time line, much like Boardwalk empire.
Honestly no. The historical figures I learned about as a kid from that time period were different.

I did find out Nucky and his brother were based on real people. But didn't need the internet to tell me Al Capone was real :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished the series last night. It took me 2.5 weeks to watch all 36 episodes. It took some warming up to. I was a little put off early on by some of the acting. I got used to it, though, and realized that over-the-top acting was some of the charm. By the end of the first season, I was liking it. It wasn't quite what I expecting, though. I expected more action, but I can appreciate that they were going for a more realistic and historical take, one where there aren't gunfights every day and the like. In the end, I liked the series.

I watched the movie tonight. It was kind of weird to watch it right after the series and see how much older all of the actors suddenly were. It was a bit depressing early on, but it sort of wore off and I was glad to see the characters again. It felt just like the series, though with fewer filler scenes. I, too, wish that they had gone ahead and made it into a short Season 4, since it felt like it was ending just as it was warming up, but it was nice to get it at all.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Though I'll say this, one of the funniest parts for me so far is when the guy that Cy left in the woods to die with smallpox kept saying "I apologize" and she tells him she'll get him some water but only if he stops apologizing. After a bit of a pause, again he goes "I apologize" and Jane yells back "shut the **** up!"

I was laughing pretty damn hard.

That's the very scene at which I changed my attitude toward Jane. Before that, I found her insufferable. After that, I found her funny and endearing. I think that her caring for a stranger showed that she had a good heart, which made it easier to not take her tough talk too seriously, since she was likely using it to keep a wall and appearances up. Al is much the same. As the good sides of their natures started leaking out, the show started getting more enjoyable for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's the very scene at which I changed my attitude toward Jane. Before that, I found her insufferable. After that, I found her funny and endearing. I think that her caring for a stranger showed that she had a good heart, which made it easier to not take her tough talk too seriously, since she was likely using it to keep a wall and appearances up. Al is much the same. As the good sides of their natures started leaking out, the show started getting more enjoyable for me.
Lol barely into season 2 I'm only barely seeing a good nature in AL. Caring about the dying Reverend came close

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Lol barely into season 2 I'm only barely seeing a good nature in AL. Caring about the dying Reverend came close

That's about the extent of what I was referring to, though there are more situations along the same lines. Don't get me wrong; he doesn't turn into a saint. He stays abusive, cruel and murderous, but just not as one-dimensionally so as he started out Season 1 as.

Reactions: HanSolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad