TV: Deadwood Movie Announced (HBO)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I know there used to be a Deadwood thread, but it's not showing up in search. Alas...
HBO is officially moving forward with the “Deadwood” movie. The announcement was made by HBO programming president Casey Bloys at the TCA summer press tour on Wednesday.

“All of these people worked hard to get this together,” Bloys said. “It’s been a logistics nightmare getting all the cast members’ schedules together, but we are there. It is greenlit.”

I know Deadwood fans won't believe it until it happens given all the false hope we've had over the years, but welcome news nonetheless. A damn shame that Powers Boothe (Tolliver) and Ralph Richeson (Richardson) aren't around anymore to continue their roles.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Just saw this on Facebook. Fantastic news. One of my top three series of all time - up there with The Sopranos and The West Wing.

What a treat the early to mid 2Ks were with The Sopranos, Deadwood and The West Wing all airing during the same years.

A damn shame that Powers Boothe (Tolliver) and Ralph Richeson (Richardson) aren't around anymore to continue their roles.
Yes, but so many great actors/characters are still alive. I can't wait to see Swearangen, Bullock, Whitney, Joanie, Doc, E. B. Farnum, Calamity Jane, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: William H Bonney

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Yes, but so many great actors/characters are still alive. I can't wait to see Swearangen, Bullock, Whitney, Joanie, Doc, E. B. Farnum, Calamity Jane, etc.

It's been a while since I've watched it, but wasn't it pretty strongly implied that he was dying during season 3? I mean, they could always just say he got better and have him back, but I got the feeling that he wouldn't have lasted much longer if the show hadn't been cancelled.

Also, I'd love to see Wu return, and still not be able to speak any English.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
It's been a while since I've watched it, but wasn't it pretty strongly implied that he was dying during season 3? I mean, they could always just say he got better and have him back, but I got the feeling that he wouldn't have lasted much longer if the show hadn't been cancelled.

Also, I'd love to see Wu return, and still not be able to speak any English.
You're right. From Wiki:

In Season 3, he shows symptoms of tuberculosis. Al, however, spurs him on not to just lie down and die, remarking "I ain't learning a new Doc's 'quirks.'"

But as you say, maybe he recovers.

And lol yeah. Wu was awesome. :laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
One of my all time favorite series.

Deadwood movie starts production at HBO: Here's who's back

It’s true. This isn’t a mirage in the Dakota Territory hills. HBO has started filming the Deadwood movie — the long-awaited closing chapter to the 2004 acclaimed drama.

HBO says production on the new film is underway led by original series stars Timothy Olyphant as Seth Bullock and Ian McShane as Al Swearengen, with series creator David Milch back as showrunner. (Fun fact: The main Deadwood sets are the same Wild West-themed studio sets used for HBO’s Westworld).

Here’s the first-ever description: “The indelible characters of the series are reunited after ten years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.”

Here’s the confirmed list of returning cast members and, as you can see, it’s the entire core group: Molly Parker (Alma Ellsworth), Paula Malcomson (Trixie), John Hawkes (Sol Star), Anna Gunn (Martha Bullock), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter), Brad Dourif (Doc Cochran), Robin Weigert (“Calamity” Jane Canary), William Sanderson (E.B. Farnum), Kim Dickens (Joanie Stubbs) and Gerald McRaney (George Hearst). The film will also feature new cast member, Jade Pettyjohn (playing Caroline).

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
awesome, looking forward to it. One of my favorite series all time.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Sol did not age well.

Can't wait for this. And I hope Wu still doesn't speak English. I really want to see him drawing another of his pictures for Swearengen.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think I created the last 3 deadwood threads when they made this announcement previously

will believe it when I see it
I didn't even know a movie was being discussed until a few minutes ago. Nice surprise for me. It's been such a long break, I really hope they don't screw it up. Preview looks pretty good.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Stupid question: May 31st premier, does that mean it'll be released/available on HBO on that date or are they releasing into theaters?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
220px-Deadwood_2019_film.jpg

Reactions: William H Bonney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad