Deadline: With a Vengeance (3PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I just don't understand not shopping Quincey at least. We are no worse off without him(I like Quincey but he's a tangible asset that can be turned into futures). Quincey at 50% retained has to get you at least a 2nd/prospect.

Or Brad Richards. Or Darren Helm.

Richards has a ton of experience, would be considered a good pickup for a contending team, he isn't worth a third?

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Or Brad Richards. Or Darren Helm.

Richards has a ton of experience, would be considered a good pickup for a contending team, he isn't worth a third?

If they walk, Richards won't hurt as much because we picked him up for nothing. Helm would sting, and Quincey twice as much.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well there wasn't much out there. McGinn is the only guy that moved for a price that I found intriguing and would have been a nice big body addition up front.

Boston went from selling off a massive amount of talent in one draft to trading away most of their next draft in an 8 month span... I am confused by whatever Sweeney is doing. I thought they would bounce back this year, but that was staggering in terms of what they gave away for what they got today.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There were absolutely no available players that met the needs of this team. Please be specific in terms of who you think they should have gone after. I'm also curious as to who you think we should sell for a rebuild? D, Z and Kronwall have a whole lot more value to this team than they do to anyone else. Tatar and Nyquist are at their all time low values. Everyone else is either young enough to be a part of the future core or simply valueless on the market.

The Wings are doing fine. The transition from the D, Z, Lidstrom era is going about as smooth as anyone could have hoped. Detroit has the best young goalie in the league, one of the best young forward prospects and so much depth they don't know what to do with it. Look at a roster from 3/4 years ago and look at it today. That's serious progress. The fact that they could do all that while still remaining competitive speaks even more to the great work Holland has done.

First bolded comment: No evidence to support that remark, just because no one was traded who met your criteria doesn't mean there was no one available.

Second bolded comment: Nyquist or Tatar, Helm, Richards, KFQ, Smith and that's just for starters.

Third bolded comment: How can you say that? The Wings' defense is literally on the knives' edge, the offense seems to be unable to score on an empty night most nights, and their only player who has played in a key position that shows a lot of promise is Mrazek. Larkin has looked good on wing but until he can center a top line and produce at the same level he is a question mark. Beyond those two there are no other players that we have any idea if they will be even replacement level. Svech and Mantha are the best bets to be good, but Mantha hasn't shown the same scoring ability since he started to play against men and Svech is 3 years away based on normal Wings asset management. Finally the transition just from Lidstrom has been pretty bad, they went from a contender to a bubble team.

Fourth bolded statement: Compared to teams 4-5 years ago they are scoring nearly a goal less per game while letting in only 0.1 less goals in per game. That is amazingly worse. I have no idea how you can call that progress.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Well there wasn't much out there. McGinn is the only guy that moved for a price that I found intriguing and would have been a nice big body addition up front.

Boston went from selling off a massive amount of talent in one draft to trading away most of their next draft in an 8 month span... I am confused by whatever Sweeney is doing. I thought they would bounce back this year, but that was staggering in terms of what they gave away for what they got today.

Boston did exactly what I was afraid Holland was going to do. Very happy it was them and not us. They still have two first round picks and had a ton of picks last year so they could afford to gamble a bit. Still I don't get the decision to buy to that extent.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If they walk, Richards won't hurt as much because we picked him up for nothing. Helm would sting, and Quincey twice as much.
Letting Helm walk in the summer would sting, but trading him right now for a late round pick wouldn't?

Making our current team worse for a 1% chance of an NHL player years from now is a moronic strategy. There is a reason you almost never see playoff teams moving their upcoming UFAs.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Letting Helm walk in the summer would sting, but trading him right now for a late round pick wouldn't?

Making our current team worse for a 1% chance of an NHL player years from now is a moronic strategy. There is a reason you almost never see playoff teams moving their upcoming UFAs.

Assuming it's a late round pick to make an argument that it's moronic.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

You don't trade to miss per se, you trade to get assets necessary to build for the future. Detroit has a better chance of falling out of the playoff race and getting a 5 top pick than they do of winning the cup. They also are worse off in the rebuild because they didn't sell, as based on track records both returns for pending FAs at the draft and Holland's unwillingness to trade pending FAs it's likely Detroit gets nothing or next to nothing for anyone who does walk.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Assuming it's a late round pick to make an argument that it's moronic.

Yep, it's not unreasonable to think you could get a 2nd round pick for Helm. Lots of 2nd rounders are earning NHL salaries. I didn't expect Holland to do **** so this is all hypothetical on my part.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
First bolded comment: No evidence to support that remark, just because no one was traded who met your criteria doesn't mean there was no one available

I mean, the fact that not a single impactful defenseman was traded today is pretty telling, don't you think?

I'm sure the GM's all did their due diligence and called to see what the prices were. But it seems pretty obvious they were unreasonable high, to the point where not even 1
GM was willing to overpay.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

So instead of having a chance to land someone like:

Athanasiou
Mrazek
Nyquist
Filppula

You prefer to get nothing in hopes of making it out of the first round.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So instead of having a chance to land someone like:

Athanasiou
Mrazek
Nyquist
Filppula

You prefer to get nothing in hopes of making it out of the first round.

Yes, every draft pick will turn into an NHL player. What was Holland thinking? lol

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Helm is NOT the difference between making or not making the play-offs.

He barely hits the score sheet (even when paired with Datsyuk) at ES, hes next to useless on the PP (netfront my ass), so all he has left is PK. Hes small, not particularly strong and just quick. Yet does nothing with that pace. I would rather move him on and give some of our more seasoned AHL vets a shot (Callahan/Tangradi/Mantha) because they have a chance of being slightly more useful. Just by sheer wanting to impress.

And then yeah. We get a chance at another decent pick.

Anyway, its over. We didnt do it. Now we can enjoy our first round exit and get rid of Helm for nothing instead of anything.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You do understand the meaning of the word chance, right?

So because the team is a long shot to win the Cup they should just start trading players they might lose anyway for mid/late round draft picks? Why not go all the way and trade Datsyuk? He could get a 1st round pick and a top prospect, probably.

I'd rather just keep Helm and evaluate whether or not its worth retaining him the next couple seasons instead of just giving him away.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
So because the team is a long shot to win the Cup they should just start trading players they might lose anyway for mid/late round draft picks? Why not go all the way and trade Datsyuk? He could get a 1st round pick and a top prospect, probably.

I'd rather just keep Helm and evaluate whether or not its worth retaining him the next couple seasons instead of just giving him away.

I'd rather keep Helm too, I just wish Kenny would try to resign players before we duck out of the first round.

Also Datsyuk has a Non-movement clause :sarcasm:

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Was hoping on something in the end we must "like this team" to another first round loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad