Deadline: With a Vengeance (3PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Why are people complaining about no moves in 2016?

Wasn't the time to be upset about the team not loading up back in like 2010 or 2011 when we still had Lidstrom and looked to Ian White to be a top 4 D and went into the season carrying upwards of $10M in cap space?

This team is not a Lee Stempniak or Kris Russel away from a Cup

True, but this team wasn't a Eric Cole or Marek Zidilicky away from a cup last year either.

I'm not annoyed that Holland didn't add pieces. I'm annoyed that Holland didn't get rid of dead weight. I'm not surprised he didn't do it, but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
True, but this team wasn't a Eric Cole or Marek Zidilicky away from a cup last year either.

I'm not annoyed that Holland didn't add pieces. I'm annoyed that Holland didn't get rid of dead weight. I'm not surprised he didn't do it, but that doesn't make it any less dumb.

I agree with you on both points

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I think a lot of GM's are thinking there will be a lot of movement with the cap potentially going down this summer.

I'm happy because Dallas paid a good amount for Russell, so I assume they have an intent to re-sign him. Goligoski has an A, so I think he re-signs as well. Which leaves Demers as the odd man out, which I think would be a low key really nice addition to out back end.

I don't see any blue line additions being made via FA during the offseason. Majority of the Wing cap space will be taken up from DD and Mrazek's extensions, and i would bet any amount of money on Quincey returning.

And there is always the potential that Helm gets taken care of.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Just glad Holland didn't pay for any garbage this year. It's about the best we could of hoped for. Plus we dumped kindl finally so there's that.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Why are people complaining about no moves in 2016?

Wasn't the time to be upset about the team not loading up back in like 2010 or 2011 when we still had Lidstrom and looked to Ian White to be a top 4 D and went into the season carrying upwards of $10M in cap space?

This team is not a Lee Stempniak or Kris Russel away from a Cup

That's the problem though, Detroit is stuck in a cycle of mediocrity with a man at the helm that has no balls to do anything to try to stop it. Everything he has done over the last 5 years has been safe, and where has it lead Detroit? To being a bubble team. Holland had assets to sell but watch them either get gratuitous raises or left to walk away without any returns. He either needs to make a bold move to make the team better now, or use what he has to position this team to be better in the future, because his treading water is only going to leave Detroit floundering in the same position they have been for awhile.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
That's the problem though, Detroit is stuck in a cycle of mediocrity with a man at the helm that has no balls to do anything to try to stop it. Everything he has done over the last 5 years has been safe, and where has it lead Detroit? To being a bubble team. Holland had assets to sell but watch them either get gratuitous raises or left to walk away without any returns. He either needs to make a bold move to make the team better now, or use what he has to position this team to be better in the future, because his treading water is only going to leave Detroit floundering in the same position they have been for awhile.

I don't disagree with you at all

While standing pat today may not be entirely ideal, it beats the pants off of moving 2nd and 3rd round picks and prospects who can play in the NHL probably today or next year or whatever for decrepit rentals

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

This organization has more depth and promising youth than ever before. I like the direction the team is going. You just need to be more patient.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This organization has more depth and promising youth than ever before. I like the direction the team is going. You just need to be more patient.

Detroit has depth, but none of it looks to be anything better than replacement level aside from Mantha and Svech. And it's really bad when you consider how truly bad the defense is now and how much better all of them are compared to what's in the pipeline.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Than ever before? Well I guess if you're not counting early 90s . But then the only reason we have more depth and promise now is because we used to be really, really good and were buyers. It's really not saying much saying we have more youth and promise now as were running in place the last 4 years. But really outside of 3 or 4 players we don't even have much promise. We still have **** all on defense for prospects or young players. We have Larkin who we hope transitions to a number one center, our goalie of the future and a handful of wing prospects we hope turn into core pieces.

J15

Mar 18, 2009

There were absolutely no available players that met the needs of this team. Please be specific in terms of who you think they should have gone after. I'm also curious as to who you think we should sell for a rebuild? D, Z and Kronwall have a whole lot more value to this team than they do to anyone else. Tatar and Nyquist are at their all time low values. Everyone else is either young enough to be a part of the future core or simply valueless on the market.

The Wings are doing fine. The transition from the D, Z, Lidstrom era is going about as smooth as anyone could have hoped. Detroit has the best young goalie in the league, one of the best young forward prospects and so much depth they don't know what to do with it. Look at a roster from 3/4 years ago and look at it today. That's serious progress. The fact that they could do all that while still remaining competitive speaks even more to the great work Holland has done.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
MUCH better deadline than I was expecting

didn't make any stupid trades for once which I would have been satisfied with in and of itself and also managed to unload Kindl for a very reasonable retained amount yesterday on top of that

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Given what Liles, Polak, and Russell got and that there were next to no good defenseman traded, I wish we would've pulled the trigger on trading Smith. Not overly disappointed but creating cap space for next year would've been nice and we probably could've gotten something like a 2nd and 5th for him.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Wish SMith got moved for a pick also. Otherwise was a great Kenny deadline. No more picks wasted on hurt old and slows that can't even stay healthy for the playoffs. Good stuff.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
I just don't understand not shopping Quincey at least. We are no worse off without him(I like Quincey but he's a tangible asset that can be turned into futures). Quincey at 50% retained has to get you at least a 2nd/prospect.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Wings have quality but not firing smoothly. We still have the fewest regulation losses. If we've won half of the OT and SO we could have 36 wins or more. Just saying...

That's only because the team always go to OT. The overall record in regulation is
22-20, only 2 games above .500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad