Deadline: With a Vengeance (3PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Or Brad Richards. Or Darren Helm.

Richards has a ton of experience, would be considered a good pickup for a contending team, he isn't worth a third?

Didn't you also say Boston was in a playoff spot and selling their assets like the Wings should be doing? Guess they had a change of heart, I think they unloaded at least 4 draft picks today for rental veterans.

I'm happy the Wings didn't try to bolster their playoff success further with trades. I'm also happy they didn't sell off players like Richards and Helm for minimal return, given I think both could be very useful in both making the playoffs and once there. If the guys people wanted to unload had more value, I might change my stance, but at this point I'd rather the team keep around those vets for the second season to come.

And if the team was out of a playoff spot I'd have a completely different tune. But they look like they'll be able to keep pace on that 8th position at least.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean, the fact that not a single impactful defenseman was traded today is pretty telling, don't you think?

I'm sure the GM's all did their due diligence and called to see what the prices were. But it seems pretty obvious they were unreasonable high, to the point where not even 1
GM was willing to overpay.

Russel was pretty substantial overpayment and he isn't even really a good D-man. Same goes for Liles. Scary market today on D-man.

I mean we have to hope we can do something at the draft. Encouraging that Vatanen didn't move today, I like him a lot. Hopefully Tatar or Nyquist can get that done in the off-season at the draft.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Russel was pretty substantial overpayment and he isn't even really a good D-man. Same goes for Liles. Scary market today on D-man.

Yeah, Nill really made a really typical Red Wings deadline move there. They overpaid for a depth guy moving nice prospects and a good pick. Potentially even a 1st rounder, yikes.

Maybe Russel surprises on his new team, but it's hard to imagine another team paying that much for him, isn't it?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, Nill really made a really typical Red Wings deadline move there. They overpaid for a depth guy moving nice prospects and a good pick. Potentially even a 1st rounder, yikes.

Maybe Russel surprises on his new team, but it's hard to imagine another team paying that much for him, isn't it?

They are pretty locked in with what they have at center moving forward. It seemed like a lot, I wouldn't have been thrilled with that package if it was for Hamhuis. But it would have been a lot easier to stomach if it was in my opinion.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Not contradictory at all. :sarcasm:

Ericsson is a bottom pairing dman who is way overpaid. Cannot produce ofence. Well unless he's on Dallas maybe
Quincey is fine. Next to Danny d anyway. Never really been near anyone else. He's ok

I'll take gelinas who like doubles their points usually and isn't a black hole in the dzone

I'm mainly referring to people that thought petry was going to still be bad cause he's on Edmonton
Myers won't be that good. Blah blah blah

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Ericsson is a bottom pairing dman who is way overpaid. Cannot produce ofence. Well unless he's on Dallas maybe
Quincey is fine. Next to Danny d anyway. Never really been near anyone else. He's ok

I'll take gelinas who like doubles their points usually and isn't a black hole in the dzone

I'm mainly referring to people that thought petry was going to still be bad cause he's on Edmonton
Myers won't be that good. Blah blah blah

Jeff Petry has less even strength points than Jonathan Ericsson does. As does Gelinas. Both Petry and Gelinas are worse points/60 wise as well.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Didn't you also say Boston was in a playoff spot and selling their assets like the Wings should be doing? Guess they had a change of heart, I think they unloaded at least 4 draft picks today for rental veterans.

I'm happy the Wings didn't try to bolster their playoff success further with trades. I'm also happy they didn't sell off players like Richards and Helm for minimal return, given I think both could be very useful in both making the playoffs and once there. If the guys people wanted to unload had more value, I might change my stance, but at this point I'd rather the team keep around those vets for the second season to come.

And if the team was out of a playoff spot I'd have a completely different tune. But they look like they'll be able to keep pace on that 8th position at least.

Boston was shopping Ericsson. They were also the laughing stock of the deadline for their buying.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

What's the roster situation in Dallas? Is this their window? Do they have a bunch of contracts coming up that blows up the team? Nill might have been feeling the pressure to make a run for it this season.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Jeff Petry has less even strength points than Jonathan Ericsson does. As does Gelinas. Both Petry and Gelinas are worse points/60 wise as well.

Gelinas has 20 less games or so and 3 less points. And he plays on new Jersey
Jeff petry plays better defensively and still gets more points

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Gelinas has 20 less games or so and 3 less points. And he plays on new Jersey
Jeff petry plays better defensively and still gets more points

I don't have the numbers in front of me so I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that Detroit is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, even if NJ is worse in that regard.

Ericsson is better than both at 5v5 points per 60 minutes. Meaning, those guys suck even worse than Ericsson offensively at even strength. And no, Petry is not better than Ericsson defensively. Ericsson has issues on offense, he is a very good defensive defenseman.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't have the numbers in front of me so I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that Detroit is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, even if NJ is worse in that regard.

Ericsson is better than both at 5v5 points per 60 minutes. Meaning, those guys suck even worse than Ericsson offensively at even strength. And no, Petry is not better than Ericsson defensively. Ericsson has issues on offense, he is a very good defensive defenseman.

petry is better defensively than ericsson. petry can carry second pairing on his own, even though he's not very good offensively. petry would be our best defenseman defensively.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

11 could be 13 or 14 teams better

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What's the roster situation in Dallas? Is this their window? Do they have a bunch of contracts coming up that blows up the team? Nill might have been feeling the pressure to make a run for it this season.

The only "blow up" contract on the horizon is Benn, but that's not until the 2017 off-season. Otherwise Spezza and Seguin are locked up until 2019 and Klingberg on a really friendly deal until 2022. They have a ton of guys on expiring contracts, especially on the blueline, but few will see raises. Guys like Moen, Fiddler, and Eaves are all set to be UFAs, but again, role players.

I guess the argument could be made that Sharp and Spezza are in their last couple of impact years. I think if anything that would be the catalyst for making a bigger push than the contract situation. It's going to be hard to find two players of their caliber to slot with Seguin and Benn when Benn is going to command $10 million and he'll be approaching 30.

So maybe there is some urgency. It's a great balance of elite youth and veterans up front, no question. The defense remains spotty, so overpaying for their depth in Russell could be Nill's attempt to get it "good enough" before he can find a better fit for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad