Speculation: DEADLINE DALLAS: Dream Defenseman Destination? Discuss.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
It would be the same doing the bare minimum last minute or a week in advance is still doing the bare minimum
Explain how trading for a top 4 defensemen that fills a need is the bare minimum. If he traded for a third pairing or 7th defensemen instead of Tanev, would you be saying he did less than the bare minimum?

It’s the trade deadline, there is no requirement to do anything. Therefor there is no minimum.

You’ve taken your complaining to a new level that has me wondering if you really mean anything you’re saying or if you’re just f***ing with all of us.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Considering the state of our defense and goaltending I'd say yes.
Please keep in mind the second D addition is something Nill is saving for later this month. He was going to trade for another defenseman, but then he read a bunch of posts here and realized it would be much funnier to bring up Bichsel and give @Satan an aneurysm.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Explain how trading for a top 4 defensemen that fills a need is the bare minimum. If he traded for a third pairing or 7th defensemen instead of Tanev, would you be saying he did less than the bare minimum?

It’s the trade deadline, there is no requirement to do anything. Therefor there is no minimum.

You’ve taken your complaining to a new level that has me wondering if you really mean anything you’re saying or if you’re just f***ing with all of us.
I mean sometimes, depending on how high I am, but not this time. I'm extremely disappointed with how Nill approached this deadline.
Deepest forward group, (well top 9), in the league.
Getting Tanev was absolutely great. Maybe saying the bare minimum was hyperbole, but the defense is still bad outside of 3 guys, and worst still he's perfectly happy to head in the PO with 2 of the worst performing goalies in the league.

This is probably the best forward group we'll ever have, with Johnston and Stankoven on ELCs, Pavelski, Benn, and Seguin not completely washed. And he's still all to happy to have a d-pair I wouldn't put together in the AHL, half of which are directly responsible for costing us PO games last year), and ride it out with Wedgewood as the backup for, being fair, a shitty performing Oettinger.

Half our current d-core are slow or outright poor skaters, some are both, they struggle with fast skating teams, roughly half of them are bad with the puck, he didn't address that and if there was any year to go all in, it was this one. yeah with the core being young they'll still be capable of making the PO, but they're not going to have this level of talent up front again.
There's one good dmen on the way(probably 2yrs away still) and all but 2 of the current group (the best 2) are 30+.
The only good prospect coming (for sure) in the next 4 years is Bourque(up front).
And instead of actually trying to go for it he just does 1 thing, yes it was a much needed get, then he phones it in, like he always does. Using the same tired cliche of the prospect that should have already long been in the NHL is basically a deadline add because he managed the roster and cap so poorly he had to bury them in the AHL. As if the forwards (granted Faksa and Dellandrea suck ass) we're the problem to begin with.

Obviously he can't get rid of Suter, (he did that to himself) but there was no excuse to roll with Hankanpaa and Wedgewood.
Replacing both or either wouldn't have been expensive, hell both Hanifin and Tanev went for peanuts. But he couldn't be bothered to do anything because "next year" (Where we will be inexplicable stuck with Suter still) or somebody's feelings would be hurt and can't have that.

Please keep in mind the second D addition is something Nill is saving for later this month. He was going to trade for another defenseman, but then he read a bunch of posts here and realized it would be much funnier to bring up Bichsel and give @Satan an aneurysm.
I never thought about this angle and if it happens I will build a statue in nills honor

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
MK88,

I would say our top 4 is good enough, as Lindell has his defensive value. And, for that matter, our bottom pairs are probably about on par with the bottom 2 of most teams. I agree the team with the best D usually wins, so it may be a problem, but time will tell.

As to goalies, they are voodoo, and there would be no guarantee that any acquired goalie would get Otter hot in the Calgary series a few years back. Nor that Jake won't step up his game for the PO. I agree with Nill, it wouldn't be worth the assets to upgrade on Wedgewood. With what was available, who would be more than single digits percentage better than Wedge (who we hope isn't playing anyway?)

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
MK88,

I would say our top 4 is good enough, as Lindell has his defensive value. And, for that matter, our bottom pairs are probably about on par with the bottom 2 of most teams. I agree the team with the best D usually wins, so it may be a problem, but time will tell.

As to goalies, they are voodoo, and there would be no guarantee that any acquired goalie would get Otter hot in the Calgary series a few years back. Nor that Jake won't step up his game for the PO. I agree with Nill, it wouldn't be worth the assets to upgrade on Wedgewood. With what was available, who would be more than single digits percentage better than Wedge (who we hope isn't playing anyway?)
What goalies on the trade market were even actual upgrades on Wedgewood? Even if Nill found a slightly better backup, it doesn't matter. Oettinger will play every playoff game no matter what his stats are.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
What goalies on the trade market were even actual upgrades on Wedgewood? Even if Nill found a slightly better backup, it doesn't matter. Oettinger will play every playoff game no matter what his stats are.
This is how I see it. We live and die by Otter. If he gets injured or plays like shit, we are not going anywhere.

Reactions: piqued

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
This is how I see it. We live and die by Otter. If he gets injured or plays like shit, we are not going anywhere.

Cleary you've never seen Matt Murray in the playoffs!

Playoffs can be so weird at times, look at Vegas with Hill, or even us with khudobin. Not that wedge is similar with those goalies at all, but i'd never say never. Just score 4 every game and problem solved :help:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
That was my point. A lot of these fan proposals assume that Nill could fleece another GM. In a way, I think he did with Tanev. But if we had to pay multiple picks and B-level prospects to upgrade from Wedgewoods .901 Save% to what? .906? Especially since we don't want to use him, I agree it wouldn't have been a great move.

As low as both our goalies save % is, we just have to hope the D is better with Tanev and maybe more focus on D (I don't like seeing Jani behind the other team's net...a formula for breakouts the other way) the G play will get better.....we hope.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Last year a previously considered to be bad Bobrovsky and a guy who began the year third string were the cup goalies. Why bother futzing with the goalie position when it’s just as likely to change tomorrow whether or not you make a move?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I believe it's prudent to have 3 NHL capable goalies which is why I would've added one. Not just for whatever marginal upgrade you're getting over Wedge.

Reactions: 506, M88K and LT

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Last year a previously considered to be bad Bobrovsky and a guy who began the year third string were the cup goalies. Why bother futzing with the goalie position when it’s just as likely to change tomorrow whether or not you make a move?
exactly - you just need your goalie to get hot at the right time. Otter's proven he can get hot in the playoffs. Lets see if he's been saving himself for when the games matter.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
That seems a bit like hope-as-a-strategy though, just throwing your hands up and saying goalies = voodoo, what can we do.

I wonder how many successful playoff goalies (winning rounds) have done so after having this bad of a regular season. Hill was .915, Kuemper .921, Vasy .925 and .917, Binnington .927. Holtby at .907 is probably your best hope to argue it's possible for a questionable regular season performance to turn into a winning run. I'd have to look closer at all of the conference final appearing goalies for a better picture.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
That seems a bit like hope-as-a-strategy though, just throwing your hands up and saying goalies = voodoo, what can we do.

I wonder how many successful playoff goalies (winning rounds) have done so after having this bad of a regular season. Hill was .915, Kuemper .921, Vasy .925 and .917, Binnington .927. Holtby at .907 is probably your best hope to argue it's possible for a questionable regular season performance to turn into a winning run. I'd have to look closer at all of the conference final appearing goalies for a better picture.
Bobrovski? 0.901 and 3.07 last season, yet was fantastic in the playoffs.

Reactions: LT and piqued

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

it's true though

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
it's true though
And applies to the whole of team building. Luck is a major factor in success. You need guys to stay healthy. Some of it is short term like needing guys to stay healthy for two months of a possible playoff run. Some is long term like handing Seguin a mega extension with the hopes he stays healthy for the better part of a decade to continue his run as an elite forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: LT and Elysian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad