TSN: Deadline || Captain Benning: The Winter Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
No way that could be case ,, I mean if that was on table and Benning didn't take it he should be fired

It's only a rumour so far. Granted, I think a big reason Benning refused is to not tie up cap space. We're heavily rumoured to be after Lucic and Eriksson. There's also some suggesting Stamkos is an option. We already have to possibly buyout Higgins and have Luongo's cap still on the books.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Yeah 1040 is back in full on shill mode. So these idiots think the team is supposed to suck for five years until Benning magically develops a new core which he's shown very little sign of doing. Aside from two long shots in college this team has no potentially elite players moving forward.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
People don't like Sbisa because he's not Canadian? These guys are out of their minds.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah 1040 is back in full on shill mode. So these idiots think the team is supposed to suck for five years until Benning magically develops a new core which he's shown very little sign of doing. Aside from two long shots in college this team has no potentially elite players moving forward.

Yeah, what the ****. These morons just suggested that Miller and Sbisa were both worth their contracts, to think I was actually enjoying listening to them an hour ago..

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
1040 just got laughed off a great caller. Taylor responds with "Ryan Miller is worth 6 million over 3 years" dear god, 1040 was good for about an hour and then..

I can't believe I used to love listening to Don Taylor. They'll defend this regime until their voices are hoarse.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It's only a rumour so far. Granted, I think a big reason Benning refused is to not tie up cap space. We're heavily rumoured to be after Lucic and Eriksson. There's also some suggesting Stamkos is an option. We already have to possibly buyout Higgins and have Luongo's cap still on the books.

Still though ,, With Nucks in shape they are in one year of Bickell at 4M should be something a team is willing to eat to get a 1st + decent prospect

Either way I am disappointed as I was hoping Bowman could find a way to get Hamhuis so Hawks top 4 could be as strong as last years team

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It's pretty easy to get. They're just in complete denial, and since there really isn't a way to defend the moves Benning has made/not made, the only thing to cling to is BLAME GILLIS.

The "casual" fans have been brainwashed by these morons, there's a wide belief among them that Mike Gillis was a terrible GM who's to blame for Benning's mismanagement right now.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Like I said in the previous thread, I don't particularly fault Benning for not moving Hamhuis and I'm ok with keeping him and re-signing him. It was pretty clearly not a buyer's market (fewer trades than usual, no top prospects and no #1 picks moved) and if the best offer was a #2 pick and a crap prospect, fair enough to try and hold out to wrangle a better offer than that.

But here's the thing - if you have a strong track record as a GM that inspires confidence, and take a gamble like that for a better return and it doesn't work out, you'll be easily forgiven. But when you've systematically screwed up everything you've touched for 2 years and this ends up screwed up as well ... it's just another nail in your coffin.

And I don't believe for a second there shouldn't have been opportunities to get picks somewhere. JM Liles was moved for two pretty high picks. You couldn't have picked up a 6th for Bartkowski?

_________

Also, as has happened the last few times the team has had a poor PR day, it's nice to see so many brand new members here with rabidly pro-management viewpoints. Welcome aboard! :handclap:

Well said. Nucks had some assets to trade but didn't get anything done. Like you said, if this was Benning's only blunder then all would be forgiven. This is one of his many blunders.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Still though ,, With Nucks in shape they are in one year of Bickell at 4M should be something a team is willing to eat to get a 1st + decent prospect

Either way I am disappointed as I was hoping Bowman could find a way to get Hamhuis so Hawks top 4 could be as strong as last years team

Yeah, absolutely. It's a slam dunk deal for Vancouver to make.

TheDude008

Jan 5, 2014
there is so little to look forward to...

oh don't worry, he'll trade for more draft picks after the season, when they're at their max value and others teams wont give us as much for our players (or they've already gone for nothing as free agents)

:handclap:

i'm not so mad about Hamhuis -especially if he resigns- but we couldn't move Vrbata? for anything? :shakehead

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I do not get these people blaming Gillis at all.

Thank you! A sane one on the bunch. This team ceased being a Gillis team the day he was fired. We'll never know what his rebuild vision was, but it sounded like he was ready to blow it all up for futures. Sounds pretty good right now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No way that could be case ,, I mean if that was on table and Benning didn't take it he should be fired

You have to remember that in his mind Benning is adding Lucic, Ladd and Erikson in the off season. Gotta save the cap space. (Defense is an unnecessary luxury).

For a sane person it is a no brainer. If the Canucks had have pulled a Toronto 2 years ago they could just about be finished with the difficult tank and acquisition phase.

The problem is they have not even made it through the denial stage of the rebuild yet.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
LMAO at people trying to say that Benning stood firm to show he couldn't get bent over.

I guess getting ripped off 99/100 times is forgotten if you don't get screwed over that one last time.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
And I don't believe for a second there shouldn't have been opportunities to get picks somewhere. JM Liles was moved for two pretty high picks. You couldn't have picked up a 6th for Bartkowski?

This is the most bafflin part to me.

Hudler got 2nd and 4th. Stempniak same. Versteeg was traded for a meh prospect and a late pick. And Dim Jim says there was literally no offers for Vrbata? Like, at all?

And the thing is, I believe him. I truly believe no one offered anything for Vrbata. But it isn't because these players are bad and worse than some of the guys that got moved, it's because Benning is a godawful businessman. He hasn't got any sort of value in any of his deals before, he's utterly unable to sell his product whatsoever, so yeah he's not going to get anything unless someone just hands it to him.

Just like why Liles, who is just as bad if not even worse than Bartkowski, got a decent return and Benning most likely got zero calls on anyone. Except Hamhuis, and in that case Calgary managed to convince the league that Russell is a better player. Unreal.

It's just mind-boggling. He pays a jaw-dropping premium out of anyone he targets, and is completely unable to sell any of his assets.

Like you said, if this was Benning's only blunder then all would be forgiven. This is one of his many blunders.

Yep. It's a trend that happens all the time. Cracknell got waived and then claimed by the first team possible, people are like "whatever it's a journeyman 4th liner who cares". And yes they have a point, but that's telling something right? A team destined to 1st overall claims a veteran this late in season? You're telling me there was no chance at all a playoff team wasn't going to pay like a 5th rounder for him? That's hard to believe.

And then of course... the same thing happens with Vrbata. See the pattern there? It's not only the journeyman 4th liners Benning's not able to sell.

Last edited:

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
The "casual" fans have been brainwashed by these morons, there's a wide belief among them that Mike Gillis was a terrible GM who's to blame for Benning's mismanagement right now.
you've got it wrong

the casual fans don't care, they see a boring ****** team and blame everybody

it's the fans that are a step up from the casual fans that are the problem, they think they're smarter and better than the casual fans because they're still supporting the team and not being "bandwagon fans" and in the process keep defending management even though they've demonstrated to be clueless -> see reddit and cdc

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Even at the peak of Gillis era with contracts I think there were 9 NTC's. Other teams in the league had 7-8+. Those teams are managing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad