TSN: Deadline || Captain Benning: The Winter Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Curious any sources in Vancouver know what Hawks may have been offering when they circled back to talk to Benning before deadline?

I assume Bickell + and that Nucks ownership/Benning were unwilling to take Bickell

Wrong. Multiple reports throughout said Canucks were perfectly willing to take on a bad contract. Even when asked earlier today if Bickell was ever mentioned, Benning replied saying that they talked about taking on Bickell's contract and that they were perfectly willing to do so.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I get the feeling that Benning screwed up the Chicago deal for Hamhuis, but Aquilini screwed up the the Dallas deal for Hamhuis

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Nobody on this roster would help a playoff team. It's a **** roster. The guys on this roster have a job to do. They support the Sedins. The guys on other teams have a goal, to win. When you accept a job, you are defined by it. What team needs jobbers for a playoff push? You want goal-oriented guys, burning with desire, not a wage slave.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like I said in the previous thread, I don't particularly fault Benning for not moving Hamhuis and I'm ok with keeping him and re-signing him. It was pretty clearly not a buyer's market (fewer trades than usual, no top prospects and no #1 picks moved) and if the best offer was a #2 pick and a crap prospect, fair enough to try and hold out to wrangle a better offer than that.

But here's the thing - if you have a strong track record as a GM that inspires confidence, and take a gamble like that for a better return and it doesn't work out, you'll be easily forgiven. But when you've systematically screwed up everything you've touched for 2 years and this ends up screwed up as well ... it's just another nail in your coffin.

And I don't believe for a second there shouldn't have been opportunities to get picks somewhere. JM Liles was moved for two pretty high picks. You couldn't have picked up a 6th for Bartkowski?

_________

Also, as has happened the last few times the team has had a poor PR day, it's nice to see so many brand new members here with rabidly pro-management viewpoints. Welcome aboard! :handclap:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think this canucks team is going to be in a lot of trouble for several years... Aging vets, inexperienced youngsters. And right now, not an enticing team for free agents to sign with.....only guys that will sign will be the Nhl- Ahl tweeners whom think they have a shot at playing... Wait a minute.... Benning loves those type of guys......

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Nobody on this roster would help a playoff team. It's a **** roster. The guys on this roster have a job to do. They support the Sedins. The guys on other teams have a goal, to win. When you accept a job, you are defined by it. What team needs jobbers for a playoff push? You want goal-oriented guys, burning with desire, not a wage slave.

It's a **** roster because Benning has filled it with **** players.

_________

Vrbata is also a pretty funny case.

Either Benning really screwed up in getting nothing for him, or else his 'best move' was for a player who was completely untradeable by the 2nd year of his contract. :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What the **** do we even have to look forward to?

The Oilers, Leafs and Flames drafting ahead of us while also getting assets for their players?

Another sad thing is Hamhuis & Vrbata were probably our last veteran assets left to easily sell for picks without going full scorched Earth rebuild. For the past two drafts he's had Kesler, Garrison, Bieksa, and Lack to sell and make up for squandered picks from other deals.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
why would you trade bartkowski for a 6th when you can give him a shiny new contract in the offseason to reward him for his great play

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Vik on 1040 just rattling Bmac and Taylor lmao

Also like how the poll was 70% blaming Benning and they re-did the poll.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Benning has to be gone before FA. Getting utterly dominated by his peers and floundering out of his depth.

Seats are going to be empty.

Unless you count guys just looking for a paying job in hockey, nobody wants to support this franchise as they ride the Sedins into retirement. Why would a free agent with competitive pretensions sign here? The Sedins are fixtures. They define the team. Nobody wants to be a Sedin school cadet. It's truly hopeless.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
there is so little to look forward to...

This is the biggest issue. We have nothing. He first tells us were not rebuilding but retooling. He's looking for young 20something's who can play right now and begins unloading our draft picks chasing that idea. Now today we're apparently in a rebuild looking for picks and draft our own. Now we have nothing. How many picks has he pissed away? This guy, and his clown show, are terrible. They don't have any idea what their doing. Can't wait to hear from Linden with his smug and arrogant comments. Should be a real hoot.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
1040 just got laughed off a great caller. Taylor responds with "Ryan Miller is worth 6 million over 3 years" dear god, 1040 was good for about an hour and then..

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Well, I'll be mad if Hammer doesn't resign to another hometown discount, but the only thing that really pisses me off is not getting something, anything, for Vrbata.

The rest of this **** can be sorted out in the off season.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Like I said in the previous thread, I don't particularly fault Benning for not moving Hamhuis and I'm ok with keeping him and re-signing him. It was pretty clearly not a buyer's market (fewer trades than usual, no top prospects and no #1 picks moved) and if the best offer was a #2 pick and a crap prospect, fair enough to try and hold out to wrangle a better offer than that.

But here's the thing - if you have a strong track record as a GM that inspires confidence, and take a gamble like that for a better return and it doesn't work out, you'll be easily forgiven. But when you've systematically screwed up everything you've touched for 2 years and this ends up screwed up as well ... it's just another nail in your coffin.

And I don't believe for a second there shouldn't have been opportunities to get picks somewhere. JM Liles was moved for two pretty high picks. You couldn't have picked up a 6th for Bartkowski?

_________

Also, as has happened the last few times the team has had a poor PR day, it's nice to see so many brand new members here with rabidly pro-management viewpoints. Welcome aboard! :handclap:

I wonder if they get paid per post, or per word. If it's the latter, some explorers' posts are too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad