Deadline buyers and sellers

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
It is really odd to see how quiet it has been so far.

I think there's only one team in the West at .700 win%.

Yes very quiet this year and again the West seems so much stronger as a group than the East. 67 and Pete's are very good, but so many weaker Eastern teams, with only 4 of 10 teams above 500. Last place in the West would be 5th in the East. Parity, questions in net, and some over achieving perhaps are contributing to the lack of action. Hunters being involved in WJ might also be part of the silence as the Knights are usually active. There are always trades but it sure is quiet.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
That's like 4 days before the trade deadline. I don't think teams are waiting on the end of the WJHC. Something like 30 picks and 15 players traded this weekend in the QMJHL.
I just think Akil is the big fish that every contender wants and don't want to get up any access to another team, before they have a chance @ Akil, as soon as he goes flood gates will open up. Just my opinion.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I just think Akil is the big fish that every contender wants and don't want to get up any access to another team, before they have a chance @ Akil, as soon as he goes flood gates will open up. Just my opinion.

If teams are waiting on Thomas, they're definitly waiting on Hayton.

That said, I'd assume teams that are serious are already deep into discussions regarding both players. Those that are not serious into those discussions will look at the other available players. I would assume those guys will start to move this week.

Reactions: three dog night

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I could see London grabbing Thomas they have the prospects and picks.

Weird year in the West I also wouldn’t be shocked to see them stand pat or even move (sell) some pieces. I’m not convinced that we have a strong enough current roster to add enough to compete with Peterborough or Ottawa? I guess it depends if a Western Championship is worth buying then by all means buy away as at this point no one as noted has separated themselves in the West?

Last edited:

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
London will go all in now, or they stand pat. West is wide open, but I’m not sure the OHL Championship is.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
London will go all in now, or they stand pat. West is wide open, but I’m not sure the OHL Championship is.

How has the goaltending been? Stats are good but how’s the eye test in London?

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
If teams are waiting on Thomas, they're definitly waiting on Hayton.

That said, I'd assume teams that are serious are already deep into discussions regarding both players. Those that are not serious into those discussions will look at the other available players. I would assume those guys will start to move this week.
Now with the Taylor Hall trade to the coyotes I think Hayton will be returning to the OHL who do you guys think will make a serious offer for him

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Now with the Taylor Hall trade to the coyotes I think Hayton will be returning to the OHL who do you guys think will make a serious offer for him
all teams will enquire but to me the serious offers will come from ottawa and peterborough. The west teams are all waiting for each other to flinch, who sells first?? Going to be real interesting

Reactions: soo hound girl

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This is an unusual season in that no team has really stood out above the crowd. Some good skilled teams but it just seems like a crap shoot . I think it depends who just goes all in and unloads a bunch of assets. Rangers haven't got much to give as far as 2nds. Can't see them moving there young skilled players. Should sell IMO.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I think the Petes will be targeting Hayton or Thomas or Dudas from the WJC. The Petes are the only team with three 2nd round picks in the 2020 draft and coincidentally, SSM, NIA and OS are all without a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft.

Tough spot for Oke......3 great players, but how does he rank them according to worth to the Petes' play-off run vs cost?
As far as worth goes.....
1. Hayton
2. Thomas
3. Dudas

But, when does he know whether Hayton is coming back to the OHL or not?
Is he better off paying less for Thomas than Hayton would cost?
Dudas may come cheaper than Thomas and be almost as valuable but he is just returning from injury....will that be a problem?

On top of acquiring a top gun, Oke still needs to determine if the Petes need to...
  • upgrade their BUG
  • upgrade their D
  • pick up another top 6 forward to go with the acquisition mentioned above
Factor in possible no trade clauses, market prices this year and Mason McTavish being untouchable and it makes for a busy 3+ weeks for Oke.

I wonder what the new version of the Petes will look like once the dust settles on January 10th

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Hayton comes back, all of Hayton, Thomas and Dudas would be available. That may set up a situation like last year where OS was holding Suzuki at the 11th hour and had to sell for peanuts.

With three significant centres on the market like that, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If Guelph sells Hillis and Gogo, it may make it worse!

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
If Hayton comes back, all of Hayton, Thomas and Dudas would be available. That may set up a situation like last year where OS was holding Suzuki at the 11th hour and had to sell for peanuts.

With three significant centres on the market like that, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If Guelph sells Hillis and Gogo, it may make it worse!

It will come down to if Hayton is available. That will cause a ripple effect and make it a buyers market. Gogolev will definitely be available, Hillis if the offer is right (solely because of the need for leadership.)

I see London, Ottawa and Peterborough going the route of significant load up. A few others may try and score an upgrade.

Depending on specific needs for each team, available players would be:

Hayton? Thomas, Dudas, Gogolev, Hillis?

On D, Harley is the big get.

There are enough names to go around. It's all about goodness of fit based on current roster. Suzuki and Ratcliffe played together growing up so already had chemistry/an easy transition. The defensive get of Durzi and Phillips though is I think what sealed it for Guelph last year. With Sammy, the defense core made up for a good but not great goalie.

Reactions: dirty12

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Guelph - Are they that good? Probably not, so sell gogolev, maybe Hillis, and the big question is Daws? He would really help the reload.

Windsor - too soon

Sudbury - sitting in second, but probably a second round out as things look at present. Byfield is great but will he be back next year? can they afford to up grade? Probably not going to be able to do enough to catch Petes and 67's.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This is an unusual season in that no team has really stood out above the crowd. Some good skilled teams but it just seems like a crap shoot . I think it depends who just goes all in and unloads a bunch of assets. Rangers haven't got much to give as far as 2nds. Can't see them moving there young skilled players. Should sell IMO.

I agree. In the west there isn’t much separation. But there is separation regarding tradable assets per team. That’s how a team’s strengths have to be looked at.

Some teams have around six 2nds plus are willing to move their 1st rounder plus maybe an 02. The Rangers, in comparison, only have three 2nds and wouldn’t be open to moving their 1st rounder. Though they may move an 02.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
67's have played 11 of 29 games (38%) against teams with fewer than 25 points and a combined winning percentage of .259. That is 22 of 46 points - 48% of their points to date. The easiest schedule in the league by a long shot. Not convinced they are that far ahead of the rest of the field. Still have needs

For comparison, Petes have had 24% of games against teams with .276 winning percentage. 16 of 48 points, or 33% of the point total.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
67's have played 11 of 29 games (38%) against teams with fewer than 25 points and a combined winning percentage of .259. That is 22 of 46 points - 48% of their points to date. The easiest schedule in the league by a long shot. Not convinced they are that far ahead of the rest of the field. Still have needs

For comparison, Petes have had 24% of games against teams with .276 winning percentage. 16 of 48 points, or 33% of the point total.
I do agree with you. We did have a bit of a soft schedule but you still need to win those especially with six rookies most nights. Also keep in mind we have done this without two of our top 4 D and a top six forward for most of the year. That said the stats do flatter us. We are a funny team very top heavy. Our top end talent is awesome but we lack depth. I agree with OMG on the 67 board that we might not need to get Hayton/Thomas but maybe get 3/4 solid middle tier guys with a bit of size/grit. Getting Rippon/Okhotiuk/Clarke back will be quite the boost in itself.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
My guess is Erie won't add or trade anyone. We are pretty much in a neutral static.

As everyone else gets better, we will probably miss playoffs yet again for the 3rd year in a row. If anyone has any inside info or guesses what Erie does, i'd be happy to hear. We just aren't making and progress with our head coach.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016

So....Math!
Math strikes again......I love it

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Very good points and they do mean something. Late in the 17-18 regular season, I pointed out on these boards that despite the Greyhounds being far and away favourites to win the league, I suggested the Rangers could beat them in a seven game series. I pointed out their soft schedule and was laughed off these boards by Soo fans, and actually by Ranger fans as well.

While the Soo had the benefit of playing bad Saginaw, North Bay, and Sudbury teams, the Rangers had to play in a tough Midwest division by playing games against Owen Sound and London that’s the Soo never had to play.

I said that it made a big difference to Windsor and losses. Sure, you still have the windows games versus bad teams, but it did make for a lot of easy nights while teams in the Midwest or slugging it out against tough competition.

In the playoffs that year, the Soo was life and death to beat Owen Sound and only beat Kitchener, seventh game overtime.

So I contend that strength of competition does matter. And it could matter this year for Ottawa.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I think the Petes will be targeting Hayton or Thomas or Dudas from the WJC. The Petes are the only team with three 2nd round picks in the 2020 draft and coincidentally, SSM, NIA and OS are all without a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft.

Tough spot for Oke......3 great players, but how does he rank them according to worth to the Petes' play-off run vs cost?
As far as worth goes.....
1. Hayton
2. Thomas
3. Dudas

But, when does he know whether Hayton is coming back to the OHL or not?
Is he better off paying less for Thomas than Hayton would cost?
Dudas may come cheaper than Thomas and be almost as valuable but he is just returning from injury....will that be a problem?

On top of acquiring a top gun, Oke still needs to determine if the Petes need to...
  • upgrade their BUG
  • upgrade their D
  • pick up another top 6 forward to go with the acquisition mentioned above
Factor in possible no trade clauses, market prices this year and Mason McTavish being untouchable and it makes for a busy 3+ weeks for Oke.

I wonder what the new version of the Petes will look like once the dust settles on January 10th

I'd be very surprised to see OS move Dudas to the Petes unless the Petes were to send major assets back like 2nds and 3rds. The Petes as far as my knowledge don't have enough assets that I believe in the draft cupboard for a guy like Dudas.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I'd be very surprised to see OS move Dudas to the Petes unless the Petes were to send major assets back like 2nds and 3rds. The Petes as far as my knowledge don't have enough assets that I believe in the draft cupboard for a guy like Dudas.

Here are the Petes' draft picks......including three 2nds this year!
IMO, I think they have the assets to acquire any one of Hayton, Thomas or Dudas

upload_2019-12-17_13-15-47.png

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Very good points and they do mean something. Late in the 17-18 regular season, I pointed out on these boards that despite the Greyhounds being far and away favourites to win the league, I suggested the Rangers could beat them in a seven game series. I pointed out their soft schedule and was laughed off these boards by Soo fans, and actually by Ranger fans as well.

While the Soo had the benefit of playing bad Saginaw, North Bay, and Sudbury teams, the Rangers had to play in a tough Midwest division by playing games against Owen Sound and London that’s the Soo never had to play.

I said that it made a big difference to Windsor and losses. Sure, you still have the windows games versus bad teams, but it did make for a lot of easy nights while teams in the Midwest or slugging it out against tough competition.

In the playoffs that year, the Soo was life and death to beat Owen Sound and only beat Kitchener, seventh game overtime.

So I contend that strength of competition does matter. And it could matter this year for Ottawa.

Yes and soo had Flint as well that year. It does matter, and although Soo was the favourite (hotdog era) the numbers were inflated. Not the fault of the team, as they were awfully strong like 67 this year, but it does skew the standings and a false sense of security. Much better to be battle tested every night for both the teams going into playoffs and the players development

Reactions: dirty12

mouse29

May 28, 2019
Interesting topic.

Year after year we keep hearing about teams coveting the top picks, and assuming that this player will get them to the promised land. However, as Grapes used to say frequently " its the lunch bucket type players than will win you championships"

JMO of course but I feel most teams would benefit from acquiring 2/3 or 4 top 19 year old solid character depth players. These kids will give heart and soul to win in what will probably be there last chance at a junior championship.
Imagine what a 3rd or 4th line of this type of players would do to any contending team.

Then if you still have the assets go out and acquire your top end player.

JMO of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad