Deadline buyers and sellers

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
We are just past the quarter pole and a little less than two months from the trade deadline. There are some surprises in the league both good and bad.

I'm trying to gauge who will be buying and selling at the deadline and which big fish may be available in the right deal. Here are my thoughts so far based on today's standings in the East. Is there an expert out West who can fill in the blanks?

EAST:
OSHAWA: likely MODERATE SELLER if Mem Cup bid rumours are true. Serron Noel, Danil Antropov rumoured to be available;

SUDBURY: heavy BUYER assuming that this could be Byfield's last year. Would think that they would move their first rounder Landon McCallum in the right deal and would have approx 5 2nd's and 4 3rd's to move;
TPETERBOROUGH: heavy BUYER, as they have 10 2000 and 3 1999 birthdays on the roster including Hunter Jones who likely goes pro next year. Would have the best trade chip in the league if they were interested in moving Mason McTavish, but that is unlikely. They have 3 2nd's for this draft among 6 available and another 5 or 6 3rd's;

OTTAWA: heavy BUYER, as this team believes it has unfinished business from last year. Jack Matier has looked good in the past couple weeks in a bigger role and the team has 6 2nd's and 4 3rd's to move.

BARRIE: HOLD pattern as with only 3 2nd's and 4 3rd's, they have less ammunition to deal with than all of Sudbury, Ottawa and Peterborough and I can't see a situation where they would move stud D Brandt Clarke. They have the tools to win a round this year but really set up well next year.

HAMILTON: moderate/heavy SELLER. They would get a ton if they were to deal Arthur Kaliyev this year, but do they have plans to contend next year? Would a Konecny deal convince them to move him? Jan Jenik would be a great add for a contender with an open import spot. Other than those two, I can't see any other valuable assets in the 1999/2000 group. They only have the 2 x 2nds this year and none all the way until 2024 so a restocking of the cupboards would be necessary to make a run either next year or the year after.

NIAGARA: heavy SELLER. Should sell everything this year, especially considering that they lose their 1st rounder in the 2021 draft. This should be their bottom out year with the current fewest number of upcoming draft picks in the league. Will move Akil Thomas for sure (GM stated that he's looking for a 2003 first rounder at Christmas for him), Phil Tomasino would be another player like Kaliyev that would bring in a huge haul, as he should be back next year. Kyen Sopa, Oliver Castleman and Ivan Lodnia could possibly help some teams but there look to be very limited buyers for OA and Imports at this TDL.

MISSISSAUGA: moderate SELLER. Would they move Thomas Harley in the right deal? There's not a lot left to deal, as this is a young team with a moderate size of upcoming picks. Moving Harley would be painful but it would set them up for a big year in two year, if their management and fans have the patience to wait for it.

NORTH BAY: moderate SELLER with very few 1999 or 2000 players to trade. Matthew Struthers would be their one big piece to move but they didn't move Brazeau at the TDL for some unknown reason last year and Stan Butler seems like a stand pat kind of GM. The number of buyers for OA's this year will be limited as well.

KINGSTON: moderate SELLER, as they are in the same boat as North Bay with very limited tradeable assets in the 1999-2000 group. Jakob Brahaney is a good OA D, but is he a guy that a team moves assets for? Nick Wong might be tradeable as a 2001.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The West is a bit tougher to predict, there's an incredible amount of parity in the conference right now, more than we've seen in years. The gap between 1st and 9th at this moment is only 6 points. I think Flint is likely to be a buyer, they have a good team for the first time since moving to Flint really. London may be a buyer as well since it's London, but their card situation could be tricky. SSM looks like a true seller right now, which is an unusual position for them.

I think Erie may be mild sellers. If they had better injury luck and had a better coach I think they could be competing for a spot in the 4-6 range, but their guys are dropping quickly right now and I don't trust Hartsburg. I think it's best for them to be mild sellers to try and add a few more picks. Next season could be a go for it season with essentially all of their key players eligible to return.

Reactions: OttersFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The West is a bit tougher to predict, there's an incredible amount of parity in the conference right now, more than we've seen in years. The gap between 1st and 9th at this moment is only 6 points. I think Flint is likely to be a buyer, they have a good team for the first time since moving to Flint really. London may be a buyer as well since it's London, but their card situation could be tricky. SSM looks like a true seller right now, which is an unusual position for them.

I think Erie may be mild sellers. If they had better injury luck and had a better coach I think they could be competing for a spot in the 4-6 range, but their guys are dropping quickly right now and I don't trust Hartsburg. I think it's best for them to be mild sellers to try and add a few more picks. Next season could be a go for it season with essentially all of their key players eligible to return.
West is real tough to figure out. 3 more weeks and the standings could still remain very close. Would not want to be a GM in the west right now - I think the sure thing is Saginaw/Flint will be buying and Guelph will be selling - the rest who knows?
Guessing - Sarnia sells and the Soo may change direction and sell. If the Spits remain high in the standings it will be hard not to buy but really they need to hold off 1 more year. London will buy but I'm not seeing enough core to go full on and they are likely looking at next year as well . Erie will tweak but nothing drastic. Rangers, hard to tell, if they don't start winning soon they may change direction and sell but hard to say. OS will do what OS always does a few tweaks and keep on winning.

member 71782

The West
Flint – will be all in this year. They need some good news after the last couple of years and finally have a roster and a plan to bring it. Will they still struggle to attract top talent or will players waive NTCs to go there may the biggest obstacle for them but I think they will be spending this year.

London – They will be buying big this year IMO. They have the depth of youth to move and they have the assets to add big and IMO will add for this year and next. As is the case more often than not they come out of the deadline the big winners IMO.

Windsor – While not a young team their future is their youth. They only have four 2000s and five 2001s plus three OAs on their roster. They have solid assets but not enough to bring them into the top tier at this point without breaking the bank. A lighter schedule, having played the fewest games, only one minor injury so far and everyone clicking has them doing better than expected but with this past summer and al the chaos no one really knows what they will do. Buying isn’t likely but are they willing to continue building on the youth (2002s/2003s) or will they stand pat and hope they get lucky this year and get a couple of rounds of playoffs then lucky again next year and everyone with eligibility returns?

Saginaw – Like Ottawa sees this year as unfinished business. They’re going all in and could be the class of the West post deadline unless something goes completely off the rails.

OS – They’re ahead of schedule IMO but as has been said they likely make a couple of minor moves that don’t really move the needle much as they continue to ice a solid team year in/year out most years. They’re a patient group that always plays a solid team game and any additions are based on minor additions and not big splashes. Being a bit ahead of where they probably were expected to be I don’t see that changing this year.

Guelph – I expect they are doing what Windsor did two years ago. Take advantage of the talent they have to try to rack up enough points to get a playoff spot before selling most at the deadline. I doubt they can maintain this pace once others start making moves.

Erie – Is a year or two away from being back in the conversation of serious contenders. Injuries certainly aren’t helping their cause at the moment but I don’t think they move out a lot of pieces. A couple of moves for a couple of assets for the future and if they get healthy soon they ride out this season giving their kids some experience.

Sarnia – Is going to be a big question mark. They should be looking at selling this year but with father having his son for one last year do they sell everything they have in trying to put together a winning season together? I thnk if Sarnia goes all in there’s a lot of pain coming next year. If they sell they can be right back in the conversation next year or the year after. What’s dad going to do?

Kitchener – Injuries are Kitchener’s biggest problem at this point. They’ve already started to buy in but with their early struggles/injury problems they’ve got to play catch up. I think they will have a tough time selling because as things fall into place come the Christmas break the buyers/sellers in the West will start to fall into place and if there’s more sellers than buyers they might be better off finishing the job they started in the offseason. If they decide to sell most are their top end assets will be their OAs in a market that doesn’t have a lot of room for OAs. They could flood the market with their OAs/2000s and bring costs down across the board or they could buy and hope there’s enough sellers to keep costs low. I don’t see them in a good spot.

Sault – The perfect example of a team that stood still when they should have moved out a couple of pieces last year. With reports that Hayton won’t be back they’re a perfect example of a team that held too long. They didn’t need to move everybody out last year, Frost and another piece would have left them competitive last season and in a better position this season. They gambled and lost IMO and now will have tough choices to make with not a lot of pieces to add significant assets without dong a significant amount of damage to their roster. That being said I don’t see them making significant moves, a couple of pieces for a couple of assets allowing them to shake up the roster while getting back to a competitive standing. They’re better than what they’ve shown but they’re not as good as they might have hoped they would be.

With so much parity in the West it will be really difficult to know what will happen before the break. I think there’s still a few surprises to come in the West and until someone makes that first move we won’t know what’s going to happen. IMO though the first big move in the West comes the last week of November or first week of December. Someone is going to want to get things done for some solid players who won’t be away for WJCs so they can build a lead in the standings trying to secure home ice.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Going to try to guess for the West:

FLINT: strong BUYER; the team has assets and great young players to set up a big two year run. Can't see them trading Othmann but could see them moving Evan Vierling in the right move. Flint still owns 6 x 2nds and 7 x 3rds. They have 8 x 2000 born skaters plus two key overagers in Popovich and Durham.

LONDON: strong BUYER that can add at least two impact OA's to replace Nelson and Tymkin. They have a ton of DC capital with 6 x 2nds and 5 x 3rds plus young players like Rolofs, Panwar, McGurn and Roger who may want more icetime elsewhere. They, like Flint are likely two year buyers and maybe three if they make the right buy moves.

WINDSOR: moderate SELLER that has outperformed my expectations this year. Next year, assuming that Afanasyev is back, they could contend for the league title. They have 7 x 2nds and 4 x 3rds but really seem set with their 2001 and 2002 age groups. If they sell, Tyler Angle and Curtis Douglas and Connor Corcoran could really help a contender as 2000 birthdays.

SAGINAW: NO IDEA. They seemed like contenders but have struggled this year with Prosvetov and Wilde not returning. Blade Jenkins, Cole Coskey and Damien Giroux would help any team in the league and Reilly Webb could help many teams out on D who have an overage spot. They only have 5 x 2nds and 2 x 3rs. On the other hand, if they get hot, I could see them buying. For me, they are the hardest team in the league to project.

OWEN SOUND: moderate SELLERS who have seven 2000 born players and an opening for an Overager. Quite possibly, they could choose to buy but that seems like an odd decision the year after trading Suzuki, Phillips and Durzi. They have 5 2nd's and 6 3rd's. If they were to sell, Aidan Dudas, Carter Robertson, Sergei Popov, Barret Kirwin, Adam McMaster and Daylon Groulx could help contenders. Maybe if they don't go for it this year, they just aim to trade the 2000 players who won't be their three overagers.

GUELPH: heavy SELLERS. Has there ever been a better turnaround job after going all in the year before? The team has already recouped 6 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds and still has big fish to sell in Pavel Gogolev, Cam Hillis, Keegan Stevenson, Fedor Gordeev and quite possibly the hottest Goalie in the league in Nico Daws. If they chose to sell everybody, they could incredibly have the biggest draft cupboard in the league plus a ton of good 2002 born players ready to make a run in a year or two.

ERIE: moderate SELLERS. The only have four 2000 born skaters and they may be expecting three of them back as OA's. Chad Yetman and Max Golod could help most teams up front, but will they be available? On D, maybe they move Kurtis Henry or Jack Duff for a mid pick? None of their OA's move the needle for a contender most likely. Does Daniel Murphy come back as an OA next year in nets?

SARNIA: moderate BUYERS. In acquiring 2000 born F's Sam Bitten and Ryan Roth, the team seems to be making plans either for this year or next. They only have 3 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds to deal and I doubt that they move G Ben Gaudreau so they will have to be choosy about moves that they make. I would have thought that they would sell last season but much like North Bay in the East, they don't seem to like trading their graduating vets. If they did go the other way, Ryan Roth, Ryan McGregor and Sean Josling would be huge additions to a contender. Can't see them moving Kooy, as that seems like a two year acquisition.

KITCHENER: moderate SELLERS and quite possibly the most disappointing team in the league. They could trade any of Liam Hawel, Greg Meireles and Jonathan Yantsis, who would have rivalled Ottawa as the top trio of OA's in the league to start the year. If Riley Damiani is going pro next year, he would get a very nice return. They have 3 x 2nds and 9 x 3rds in the bank.

SAULT STE MARIE: moderate SELLERS, as they don't have many graduating players. If they get lucky and get Barrett Hayton returned, they have the best trade chip in the league that nets a huge return. If not, they could move D Jacob Leguerrier who is a solid 2000, 5th round NHL DC. Maybe they decide to move off one of their 2001 F's like Alex Johnston or Joe Carroll? Jaromir Pytlik as an import F could help somebody out. They currently have ten 2001 on the roster and would seem primed to make a run next year if they can build up their draft cupboard as they currently have only 4 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds.

Reactions: StormWatcher

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
ERIE: moderate SELLERS. The only have four 2000 born skaters and they may be expecting three of them back as OA's. Chad Yetman and Max Golod could help most teams up front, but will they be available? On D, maybe they move Kurtis Henry or Jack Duff for a mid pick? None of their OA's move the needle for a contender most likely. Does Daniel Murphy come back as an OA next year in nets?

To respond to the Erie portion, I would be very surprised if they moved Yetman/Golod/Duff. All are valuable players so they could get an offer too good to pass up, but all 3 of these guys are too important to the team this season and next imo. I could see them moving Henry if someone gave them a nice offer. MacDougall/any of the OAs could be on the table as well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
To respond to the Erie portion, I would be very surprised if they moved Yetman/Golod/Duff. All are valuable players so they could get an offer too good to pass up, but all 3 of these guys are too important to the team this season and next imo. I could see them moving Henry if someone gave them a nice offer. MacDougall/any of the OAs could be on the table as well.

Macdougall might be tough to move,been told he is out for 8 weeks and possibly a year because of a lacerated kidney.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Macdougall might be tough to move,been told he is out for 8 weeks and possibly a year because of a lacerated kidney.
If so .. Wow has Erie been killed by injuries the last 2 years

Beamish - out for year / career over
Gillard - out for the year
Kischnick -out multiple weeks/months
Yetman - currently out
Sedore - missed a few weeks
MacDougall - has missed 11 of 18 games (and counting)

and another 3/4 guys that have missed a few games each

Yikes.

If this keeps up, then yes Erie should sell a bit. But who do they sell? Golod/Duff/Yetman are the most realistic options that would be available and fetch anything worth trading for. Everyone else is just spare pieces or top guys that are too young/developing. The problem is that those 3 are all likely to be back next year and be a top tier OA trio.

Henry seems the only likely guy. But our defense already has suffered 2 players with season ending injuries ..

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw has 7-2nds, 4-3rds, 4-4ths and 7-5ths and that plus prospects means they will be buyers. Porco and Lemieux were traded for Duhart 2-2nds, 2-3rds and a 5th. Can easily pick up 2 forwards and a D. Recoup picks when they sell Perfetti,Millman and Lennox..

Reactions: dirty12

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
London may be a buyer as well since it's London, but their card situation could be tricky.

Eon just curious what makes you say this? I know the Knights got “stuck” a little last season where they ran out of cards. But this season other then Kooy which cost them a card they hadn’t planned on and maybe signing Nelson as an OA I just can’t see where they have wasted much? Truly just curious as I have no idea where they actually sit with regards to their “A” Cards. Cheers curious on your thoughts?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Could be a different deadline than usual as it seems there will be a surplus of OA; and oddly, a possible excess of 19 yr olds among the top teams.
Oshawa will almost certainly move some graduating players to strengthen their memorial cup bid.
Flint, Peterborough, Sudbury all have 2-3, 19-20 yr olds playing small roles, imo. Their ability to move a player to an OA needy team for next season; and willingness to move on from a current OA, could be a factor at the deadline. I doubt very much any of those teams are willing to deal their top ‘02 born.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Ottawa should stand still or perhaps be a moderate/situational seller. They are going to have a stupid good team again next year like they did last year.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Going to try to guess for the West:

FLINT: strong BUYER; the team has assets and great young players to set up a big two year run. Can't see them trading Othmann but could see them moving Evan Vierling in the right move. Flint still owns 6 x 2nds and 7 x 3rds. They have 8 x 2000 born skaters plus two key overagers in Popovich and Durham.

LONDON: strong BUYER that can add at least two impact OA's to replace Nelson and Tymkin. They have a ton of DC capital with 6 x 2nds and 5 x 3rds plus young players like Rolofs, Panwar, McGurn and Roger who may want more icetime elsewhere. They, like Flint are likely two year buyers and maybe three if they make the right buy moves.

WINDSOR: moderate SELLER that has outperformed my expectations this year. Next year, assuming that Afanasyev is back, they could contend for the league title. They have 7 x 2nds and 4 x 3rds but really seem set with their 2001 and 2002 age groups. If they sell, Tyler Angle and Curtis Douglas and Connor Corcoran could really help a contender as 2000 birthdays.

SAGINAW: NO IDEA. They seemed like contenders but have struggled this year with Prosvetov and Wilde not returning. Blade Jenkins, Cole Coskey and Damien Giroux would help any team in the league and Reilly Webb could help many teams out on D who have an overage spot. They only have 5 x 2nds and 2 x 3rs. On the other hand, if they get hot, I could see them buying. For me, they are the hardest team in the league to project.

OWEN SOUND: moderate SELLERS who have seven 2000 born players and an opening for an Overager. Quite possibly, they could choose to buy but that seems like an odd decision the year after trading Suzuki, Phillips and Durzi. They have 5 2nd's and 6 3rd's. If they were to sell, Aidan Dudas, Carter Robertson, Sergei Popov, Barret Kirwin, Adam McMaster and Daylon Groulx could help contenders. Maybe if they don't go for it this year, they just aim to trade the 2000 players who won't be their three overagers.

GUELPH: heavy SELLERS. Has there ever been a better turnaround job after going all in the year before? The team has already recouped 6 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds and still has big fish to sell in Pavel Gogolev, Cam Hillis, Keegan Stevenson, Fedor Gordeev and quite possibly the hottest Goalie in the league in Nico Daws. If they chose to sell everybody, they could incredibly have the biggest draft cupboard in the league plus a ton of good 2002 born players ready to make a run in a year or two.

SARNIA: moderate BUYERS. In acquiring 2000 born F's Sam Bitten and Ryan Roth, the team seems to be making plans either for this year or next. They only have 3 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds to deal and I doubt that they move G Ben Gaudreau so they will have to be choosy about moves that they make. I would have thought that they would sell last season but much like North Bay in the East, they don't seem to like trading their graduating vets. If they did go the other way, Ryan Roth, Ryan McGregor and Sean Josling would be huge additions to a contender. Can't see them moving Kooy, as that seems like a two year acquisition.

KITCHENER: moderate SELLERS and quite possibly the most disappointing team in the league. They could trade any of Liam Hawel, Greg Meireles and Jonathan Yantsis, who would have rivalled Ottawa as the top trio of OA's in the league to start the year. If Riley Damiani is going pro next year, he would get a very nice return. They have 3 x 2nds and 9 x 3rds in the bank.

SAULT STE MARIE: moderate SELLERS, as they don't have many graduating players. If they get lucky and get Barrett Hayton returned, they have the best trade chip in the league that nets a huge return. If not, they could move D Jacob Leguerrier who is a solid 2000, 5th round NHL DC. Maybe they decide to move off one of their 2001 F's like Alex Johnston or Joe Carroll? Jaromir Pytlik as an import F could help somebody out. They currently have ten 2001 on the roster and would seem primed to make a run next year if they can build up their draft cupboard as they currently have only 4 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds.

Owen Sound is in an interesting position at the deadline, on one hand they could tweak the lineup for a run in a season or two although I can't see the Attack make any major movement at the deadline if they do it will be add pieces for next season and the season after to continue to be able to compete in the conference.

All will depend upon where the Attack sit heading into the Xmas break in the league and if they are in good positioning heading toward the trade-deadline I can't see big change in the Attack lineup but if Attack brass choose to add a piece they could but I can't see any big change for Owen Sound this season after the re-tooled last season to add assets for now and the future.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Ottawa should stand still or perhaps be a moderate/situational seller. They are going to have a stupid good team again next year like they did last year.

Will they? After this year they'll lose Hoefenmayer, Garreffa, Keating, Bahl, Okhotyuk and 50/50 on Hoelscher. That's 6 of their 7 best skaters gone.

As of right now (it's early I know), their roster next year would look like
F:
Quinn-Rossi-Clarke
Robinson-Tolnai-Yule(OA)
Beck-Crete-Sirrizzotti
Johnston-?-?

D:
Rippon (OA)-Belanger
Matier-Sawyer
?-Constantini

G:
Andree (OA)
Cranley

That's really not very good. One good line, and very young D. Would make a lot more sense to go for it this year where they have 3 elite OA's and one of the better OHL D-men still in Kevin Bahl

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Will they? After this year they'll lose Hoefenamyer, Garreffa, Keating, Bahl, Okhotyuk and 50/50 on Hoelscher. That's 6 of their 7 best skaters gone.

As of right now (it's early I know), their roster next year would look like
F:
Quinn-Rossi-Clarke
Robinson-Tolnai-Yule(OA)
Beck-Crete-Sirrizzotti
Johnston-?-?

D:
Rippon (OA)-Belanger
Matier-Sawyer
?-Constantini

G:
Andree (OA)
Cranley

That's really not very good. One good line, and very young D

That's assuming Rossi is back. Talk is he plays pro regardless. I think he's back but not anywhere near a guarantee.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
I’m a bit late to the party but here is my take.

East:

OSH:
Most likely will be retooling at the deadline this year. Probably will trade Noel and bring in some younger talent. Similar to what they did last year.

SBY:
They have to be a buyer given it is Byfield’s last year in this league and how much money they’ve already spent on marketing him. However they will need a acquire a lot talent to get to be in contention this year. In my opinion they need a better goalie, 1-2 defence men as well as depth scoring and all of that comes at a pretty penny.

OTT:
They will be buying. Their arguable the best team in the league as of now and that’s without Clarke. I imagine they try to acquire a defence men as well as one of the bigger named forwards at the deadline.

PBO:
Most likely moderate buyers. They have the number 1 goalie in the league and depth scoring. The only move I can see them making is upgrading their defence.

BAR:
I would say the most likely hold or make some minor trades. They don’t have a lot of assets to trade away. As well as there roster is not as well rounded as PBO or OTT.

NIA:
Sellers. It’s that plain and simple. Thomas and Tomasino could fetch you a boat load. Not also mention that will not there first in 2021 draft due the scandal last winter.

HAM:
They only have two 2nds in the next 5 years. Kaliyev will be one of the best players available at the deadline if HAM is willing to deal him. They also have Jenik, he could fetch them a decent return with a team that has a open import slot. Bottom line, selling.

MISS:
Next year appears to year where they could go for it. Hence they probably follow in OSH steps and retool this year.

NB:
Sellers if Butler wants to move any assets. They’re currently last in the east and Butler has tendency to stand pat however Struthers could land him a nice return.

KGN:
Very little in terms of assets to move however Wong or Franca could be great adds for teams that are looking for some depth scoring.

West:

Flint:
This is Flints year. They have been the laughing stock of the league for the last couple years but now is their time to shine. However I imagine they will struggle to get players to waive their no trade clause to go there.

LDN:
Tough to say given the how the Hunter’s run that team. They could be big buyer’s given how deep their asset pool is. But they could also could make some minor moves or stand pat. It is tough for me to call LDN this year.

WSR:
They are tough to call as well. On one hand they are one of the best teams in the west and could be become serious contenders if they trade for a goalie. However next year appears to be their year when Foudy and Cuylle will be two of the top players in the league.

SAG:
If Wilde does not comeback this team will be in trouble. If he does not they will need to acquire a 1-2 defence men and a goalie as well as some scoring depth. I don’t think this team has the assets to do all of that however I still think that they are heavy buyers at this years deadline.

GUE:
Although they have a great roster this year I believe their GM will finish what he started at the start of the year and sell off all of the remaining assets he has. Gogolev, Hillis, Ralph, Stevenson and Gordeev are all great assets that any contender will want.

After their hot start they are finally coming back down to earth, hence I imagine them being sellers. Dudes and Lyle could bring in a decent return and set them up nicely for upcoming years.

ER:
Is a about 2 years out form being in serious contention. Golod, Yetman and Fowler would be solid depth pieces on any contending team this year and will bring back a modest return.

SOO:
They will be selling. And oh man, imagine what they could land if Hayton gets sent back.

SAR:
This might be a surprise to most of you but I see them as buyers at the deadline. With the three headed dragon in net as well as the scoring depth the only things they need 1-2 defence men and maybe one of the bigger named forwards. As well as this Hatcher’s kid last year in the league.

KIT:
Although they do not have a lot assets, I imagine that they will be buying at the deadline. Their defence is good and they have one of the best goalies in the league. Their GM thinks that they can turn it around and go for it this year. They probably acquire one of the bigger names up front and some depth pieces to secure the forward core going forward.

So that’s my take on all of the teams. What are your guys opinions on my thoughts, I would love to hear them.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I’m a bit late to the party but here is my take.

East:

OSH:
Most likely will be retooling at the deadline this year. Probably will trade Noel and bring in some younger talent. Similar to what they did last year.

SBY:
They have to be a buyer given it is Byfield’s last year in this league and how much money they’ve already spent on marketing him. However they will need a acquire a lot talent to get to be in contention this year. In my opinion they need a better goalie, 1-2 defence men as well as depth scoring and all of that comes at a pretty penny.

OTT:
They will be buying. Their arguable the best team in the league as of now and that’s without Clarke. I imagine they try to acquire a defence men as well as one of the bigger named forwards at the deadline.

PBO:
Most likely moderate buyers. They have the number 1 goalie in the league and depth scoring. The only move I can see them making is upgrading their defence.

BAR:
I would say the most likely hold or make some minor trades. They don’t have a lot of assets to trade away. As well as there roster is not as well rounded as PBO or OTT.

NIA:
Sellers. It’s that plain and simple. Thomas and Tomasino could fetch you a boat load. Not also mention that will not there first in 2021 draft due the scandal last winter.

HAM:
They only have two 2nds in the next 5 years. Kaliyev will be one of the best players available at the deadline if HAM is willing to deal him. They also have Jenik, he could fetch them a decent return with a team that has a open import slot. Bottom line, selling.

MISS:
Next year appears to year where they could go for it. Hence they probably follow in OSH steps and retool this year.

NB:
Sellers if Butler wants to move any assets. They’re currently last in the east and Butler has tendency to stand pat however Struthers could land him a nice return.

KGN:
Very little in terms of assets to move however Wong or Franca could be great adds for teams that are looking for some depth scoring.

West:

Flint:
This is Flints year. They have been the laughing stock of the league for the last couple years but now is their time to shine. However I imagine they will struggle to get players to waive their no trade clause to go there.

LDN:
Tough to say given the how the Hunter’s run that team. They could be big buyer’s given how deep their asset pool is. But they could also could make some minor moves or stand pat. It is tough for me to call LDN this year.

WSR:
They are tough to call as well. On one hand they are one of the best teams in the west and could be become serious contenders if they trade for a goalie. However next year appears to be their year when Foudy and Cuylle will be two of the top players in the league.

SAG:
If Wilde does not comeback this team will be in trouble. If he does not they will need to acquire a 1-2 defence men and a goalie as well as some scoring depth. I don’t think this team has the assets to do all of that however I still think that they are heavy buyers at this years deadline.

GUE:
Although they have a great roster this year I believe their GM will finish what he started at the start of the year and sell off all of the remaining assets he has. Gogolev, Hillis, Ralph, Stevenson and Gordeev are all great assets that any contender will want.

After their hot start they are finally coming back down to earth, hence I imagine them being sellers. Dudes and Lyle could bring in a decent return and set them up nicely for upcoming years.

ER:
Is a about 2 years out form being in serious contention. Golod, Yetman and Fowler would be solid depth pieces on any contending team this year and will bring back a modest return.

SOO:
They will be selling. And oh man, imagine what they could land if Hayton gets sent back.

SAR:
This might be a surprise to most of you but I see them as buyers at the deadline. With the three headed dragon in net as well as the scoring depth the only things they need 1-2 defence men and maybe one of the bigger named forwards. As well as this Hatcher’s kid last year in the league.

KIT:
Although they do not have a lot assets, I imagine that they will be buying at the deadline. Their defence is good and they have one of the best goalies in the league. Their GM thinks that they can turn it around and go for it this year. They probably acquire one of the bigger names up front and some depth pieces to secure the forward core going forward.

So that’s my take on all of the teams. What are your guys opinions on my thoughts, I would love to hear them.
Totally disagree with Kitchener going for it. Assets are thin. Two 2nds in the next four years will not buy anything decent at the deadline. If they do trade those 2nds away and fail they will be set back another three or four years. MM is trying to right the ship but going for it would be a mistake that would cost him a job if they get put out quick.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree with bobber regarding Kitchener.

Also, I think even though Oshawa will sell off Noel, they may buy a high-end overager at half the price that they get for Noel to keep them among the top four in the East and a threat in the playoffs. They are too good not to. They already have 11 or 12 second round picks in the bank. They can afford to move a couple for an elite OA - especially since the return they’d get for Noel would be substantial.

I believe London will be all in hard this year. They have many high end 2000 born players in the line up who are a threat to graduate after this year. They only have three or four 01’s on the roster and McMichael may make the Caps next year. There are no guarantees he comes back. With all that in mind, they have enough assets in the bank and in the past, shown the willingness to part with youth in “all in” seasons. Not lost on me is the fact that they have two OA’s who can be improved upon easily. Bringing in a couple elite OA’s for the same cost it would be to bring in an one elite 19-year-old would improve this team dramatically and on the cheap.

Also, as we have seen with Erie and Owen Sound, should Guelph also falter, I can see them selling too. They have already started selling this year and moving out Hawel and Lalonde. I would not be surprised if they capitalize on the emergence of Daws at this deadline. There are a couple teams that should be looking for goaltending and in a year when they really aren’t good enough to win (Flint, Saginaw,London) it would be huge to get large return for a player that is a surprising asset. I believe that franchise learned a lesson a few years ago not selling off Bertuzzi etc when they should have. I don’t think that they will sell a couple pieces this year and then hang onto the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMG67

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I could see London grabbing Thomas they have the prospects and picks. Like to see him in Saginaw but might be to expensive and the Spirit should grab Jenik with an import card left. Imports are usually a tad cheaper. It will be interesting seeing what happens in the next 5 weeks or so.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I agree with bobber regarding Kitchener.

Also, I think even though Oshawa will sell off Noel, they may buy a high-end overager at half the price that they get for Noel to keep them among the top four in the East and a threat in the playoffs. They are too good not to. They already have 11 or 12 second round picks in the bank. They can afford to move a couple for an elite OA - especially since the return they’d get for Noel would be substantial.

I believe London will be all in hard this year. They have many high end 2000 born players in the line up who are a threat to graduate after this year. They only have three or four 01’s on the roster and McMichael may make the Caps next year. There are no guarantees he comes back. With all that in mind, they have enough assets in the bank and in the past, shown the willingness to part with youth in “all in” seasons. Not lost on me is the fact that they have two OA’s who can be improved upon easily. Bringing in a couple elite OA’s for the same cost it would be to bring in an one elite 19-year-old would improve this team dramatically and on the cheap.

Also, as we have seen with Erie and Owen Sound, should Guelph also falter, I can see them selling too. They have already started selling this year and moving out Hawel and Lalonde. I would not be surprised if they capitalize on the emergence of Daws at this deadline. There are a couple teams that should be looking for goaltending and in a year when they really aren’t good enough to win (Flint, Saginaw,London) it would be huge to get large return for a player that is a surprising asset. I believe that franchise learned a lesson a few years ago not selling off Bertuzzi etc when they should have. I don’t think that they will sell a couple pieces this year and then hang onto the rest.

On point in your assessment of Guelph. I'll add that so far they've moved 4 players out - Popovich, Lalonde, Collins, and Hawel. Daws is a beast but they will continue the sell off. They have recouped picks and will target high end prospects born in '02 ideally or '03. Likely some but not all of the following are moved and would be coveted: Daws, Gogolev, Hillis, Gordeev. Daws and Gogolev could be back next year. Hillis eligible but less likely. Guelph looks for a quick and efficient retool to contend in '22/'23.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
On point in your assessment of Guelph. I'll add that so far they've moved 4 players out - Popovich, Lalonde, Collins, and Hawel. Daws is a beast but they will continue the sell off. They have recouped picks and will target high end prospects born in '02 ideally or '03. Likely some but not all of the following are moved and would be coveted: Daws, Gogolev, Hillis, Gordeev. Daws and Gogolev could be back next year. Hillis eligible but less likely. Guelph looks for a quick and efficient retool to contend in '22/'23.

‘21/‘22, Guelph has an impressive group of ‘02 born

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is really odd to see how quiet it has been so far.

You have Ottawa and Peterborough as contenders in the East with Sudbury in the maybe category.

You've got six teams in the West within about 6 points of each other. Of course, with varrying games in hand, that number isn't all that telling. It just shows no team in the West has really created much separation as we see in the East. I didn't look this morning but I think there's only one team in the West at .700 win%.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
It is really odd to see how quiet it has been so far.

You have Ottawa and Peterborough as contenders in the East with Sudbury in the maybe category.

You've got six teams in the West within about 6 points of each other. Of course, with varrying games in hand, that number isn't all that telling. It just shows no team in the West has really created much separation as we see in the East. I didn't look this morning but I think there's only one team in the West at .700 win%.
I think it will start when Akil Thomas comes back from the world juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad